new jersey thesis rutgers university facebook page reddit back-up

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,434 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 00:02

If this happened 10 years ago I wouldn't really care because it was excusable that time.

But now, 2012/2013, almost every major university is highly computerized and connected. As far as I know, academic advisors will emphasize the importance of backups. Graduate school handbooks usually will say the same thing, along with anti-virus, the use of copy-righted material..etc..etc.

It is expected every doctorate candidate knows basic computer skills, which includes backing up files (buy a USB drive, copy a folder from your HDD to the new drive, as simple as that).

There are so many people that go through the motions and don't know wtf is going on, it is ridiculous. I see people getting IT related degrees all the time that barely know how to use a computer.

That said, I still think the guy is probably trying to bait the thief.

#62 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,749 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:11

This is the less harsh way of saying it. Which I can certainly agree with.

How is it a less harsh way of saying it? They mean very different things.

If this happened 10 years ago I wouldn't really care because it was excusable that time.

But now, 2012/2013, almost every major university is highly computerized and connected. As far as I know, academic advisors will emphasize the importance of backups. Graduate school handbooks usually will say the same thing, along with anti-virus, the use of copy-righted material..etc..etc.

It is expected every doctorate candidate knows basic computer skills, which includes backing up files (buy a USB drive, copy a folder from your HDD to the new drive, as simple as that).

yea, my uni certainly goes on and on about backing up your stuff because it's your responsibility and you'll be screwed if anything happens. i'd be surprised if every other university didn't do this.

#63 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:31

I didn't mean that some PhD students aren't stuck up, I meant that most PhD students are smart enough to back up their work...

ah, yes I agree with that, most people who invest a lifetime of work are smart enough to make copies of it

#64 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 13:08

This guy was in Chemistry, not Computer Science.

We've probably lost the formula for making gold from water. :/