Photo

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:50

I think it was a misguided idea to remove the ethernet port in order to make the rMBP thinner.

Carrying adapters isn't my style either

#2 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:56

I don't think that they will. They probably just assume everyone will use it wirelessly.

#3 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:56

I'm glad they did it. No, they'll never bring it back.
Technology goes forward and if this is no good for you, get the old, thick Macbook Pro and you'll have your old ethernet with no adaptor.
There's no miracle.

#4 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:03

They won't. However, I have not bought and do expect to buy a laptop that does not have an Ethernet port, so their move meant that I won't consider looking in the Apple garden in the future.

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:10

They won't. However, I have not bought and do expect to buy a laptop that does not have an Ethernet port, so their move meant that I won't consider looking in the Apple garden in the future.

Actually it means eventually you will be forced into buying something that you don't want since within a decade no laptop will have them built in as a standard feature. They will go the way of the floppy disk as they should.

#6 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:15

Screw your wireless voodoo. Wire is the way to go.

#7 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:20

Screw your wireless voodoo. Wire is the way to go.

There's really no comparison to wired and ethernet. Wired really makes all the difference.

If apple added more usb ports I probably wouldn't have a problem with this since they do include an adapter. Looking back at it now, I probably won't mind the adapter In my situation where I come home from campus where that's the only means for a wired connection anyway

#8 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:24

There's really no comparison to wired and ethernet. Wired really makes all the difference.

If apple added more usb ports I probably wouldn't have a problem with this since they do include an adapter. Looking back at it now, I probably won't mind the adapter In my situation where I come home from campus where that's the only means for a wired connection anyway

How about this or something like it. Then you dont even have to connect/disconnect physically.
http://www.engadget....3-port-usb-hub/

#9 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:24

Pay 12 bucks and buy a usb to rj45 cable. What we do at work with the surface pros in a weak wireless area.

#10 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:25

Actually it means eventually you will be forced into buying something that you don't want since within a decade no laptop will have them built in as a standard feature. They will go the way of the floppy disk as they should.

Wrong on the first part and bad comparison on the second part. Floppy disks are outdated and useless, ethernet is not.

#11 OP Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 19:01

How about this or something like it. Then you dont even have to connect/disconnect physically.
http://www.engadget....3-port-usb-hub/

that could work, actually. thx

#12 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 19:14

Some people use them in corporate environments and need a way to image them. I don't see how you think they "should" go away, especially when they don't really affect much. We got an Asus X202E in and it has a hnged cover for the ethernet port. therefore, the plug can fit in, without needing to be full sized. It's a pretty slick solution, IMHO.

#13 vanx

vanx

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 19:16

I very much doubt that Ethernet socket will disappear within a decade, if at all. Slim-form laptops and netbooks are bound to sacrifice it, which is fine with me, because I get serious work done on my machine. Having both wired and wireless connectivity is obviously better than just one. And what do you do when a new piece of equipment in the server room needs an external IP address, subnet mask and DNS info configured and the only way to do so is to connect to it using an RJ45 cable and go to its internal IP? A laptop with just wireless, unless you get an Ethernet-to-USB adapter, is useless in this scenario.

#14 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:31

whats wrong with an adapter? if youre moving it around you should be using a case anyway. therefore you can leave it in the case. if you only need it for one situation buy the adapter and leave it at the office plugged in and then you would just plug that in as needed same as ethernet.

#15 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:35

I don't really see what the big deal is about using an adapter. If you know there will be ethernet ports AND cables for you to use EVERYWHERE you go, then fine: you have every right to complain about no ethernet port.

For me, I want to have an ethernet hookup at home and at work. I'll just get two adapters, one for each location. TBH, I don't really need one at home because my WiFi is decent enough for my needs...

Everywhere else, I use WiFi like any normal person would.

If you already carry a small ethernet patch cable to take advantage of ethernet wherever you go, then adding an adapter to the end of that patch cable shouldn't be an issue. I do agree with the sentiment that if they are not going to include an ethernet port, there should be more USB ports.

whats wrong with an adapter? if youre moving it around you should be using a case anyway. therefore you can leave it in the case. if you only need it for one situation buy the adapter and leave it at the office plugged in and then you would just plug that in as needed same as ethernet.

Exactly... Maybe some folks have A LOT of ethernet hook-up locations that all have easily accessible patch cables in the vicinity. Can't see that being possible, but maybe it is for some of these folks.

Will some laptops still have ethernet ports in 10 years? Sure. My 2yo Thinkpad came with a modem! Weird.