• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:05

Reddit apologized for the 'dangerous speculation' on the site that pointed fingers at the student.

A body pulled from the water off India Point Park in Rhode Island has been identified as the Brown University student mistakenly linked by amateur sleuths on a social media site to the Boston bombings. The body of 22-year-old Sunil Tripathi was identified through dental records, Health Department spokeswoman Dara Chadwick said Thursday. It was not immediately clear when Tripathi, who was last seen March 15, died. The cause of death has also not been determined. Police said that no signs of trauma were found initially and that the investigation could take months. Tripathi's body was found Tuesday by members of the Brown University crew team.

http://www.usatoday....reddit/2112309/

Well done Redditors...

#2 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:07

He was dead long before the bombing. He's been missing since March.

#3 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:19

Mr Tripathi, who last year suspended his studies at Brown university after enduring bouts of depression, had gone missing on 16 March. He left his phone and wallet behind in his student digs. His family launched a search across the state of Rhode Island to try to find him and produced a video which they uploaded on to YouTube urging “Sunny” to come home.

#4 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,006 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:22

On top of the grief the family had to endure because of their son dissapearing they also got threatened and verbally abused because of some reddit idiots. I feel very sorry for them

#5 OP Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:23

He was dead long before the bombing. He's been missing since March.

Because missing = dead?

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,046 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:35

Because missing = dead?

I've seen this story for a few days, the story is always written as though it makes it sound like he killed himself because he was accused. So far I haven't seen it written with a proper title that doesn't make it sound like that. He was missing prior to the bombings and was probably dead in March.

#7 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:36

Because missing = dead?

They had to ID him from dental records. Now, I am no forensic expert, but I have a feeling it takes more than a week and a half for a body to decompose that much in water.

#8 OP Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:39

I've seen this story for a few days, the story is always written as though it makes it sound like he killed himself because he was accused. So far I haven't seen it written with a proper title that doesn't make it sound like that. He was missing prior to the bombings and was probably dead in March.

So, in other words, this news is worthless.

Got it.

#9 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,249 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:42

if he was dead how was he identified to be the dude in the hat at the marathon? mistaken identity or was he alive and at the marathon and mistakenly thought to be a perp.

#10 OP Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,323 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:45

if he was dead how was he identified to be the dude in the hat at the marathon? mistaken identity or was he alive and at the marathon and mistakenly thought to be a perp.

You know, those armchair detectives, looking at pictures and decide who is the suspect.

And the media pick those **** up and broadcast it on national channels.

#11 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:50

They had to ID him from dental records. Now, I am no forensic expert, but I have a feeling it takes more than a week and a half for a body to decompose that much in water.

Police said that no signs of trauma were found initially and that the investigation could take months

this guy was missing way before the boston bombings,and people on the internet were suspecting that he disappeared without a trace because he was planning the bombing. then when the pictures were released of the brothers, they again suspected that its him because he looks very similar.

#12 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:56

Police said that no signs of trauma were found initially and that the investigation could take months

this guy was missing way before the boston bombings,and people on the internet were suspecting that he disappeared without a trace because he was planning the bombing. then when the pictures were released of the brothers, they again suspected that its him because he looks very similar.

My point was that he would to have died a week and a half ago for Reddit to be even remotely responsible. If they had to ID from dental records, it probably means the body had been decomposing for longer than that.

#13 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:34

That's why we should leave the detective work to the professionals.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!