wp8 apple samsung

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,857 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:34

Instead of ragging on the competition, they should show me why they are better.

They have that...it's called the Windows Phone Challenge.

#47 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,608 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:36

Once again Microsoft fails. The commercial is funny but it doesn't explain to me why I should use a Windows phone.

Its a really funny ad but like others have said, they should spend more time showing me what a windows phone can do..

There is a bunch here where they show features, this is not the only commercial they are making/showing.

http://www.youtube.com/windowsphone

#48 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,992 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:38

If this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that people really don't understand how advertising works.

Reading off a glorified spec sheet gets you nowhere, a good advert is catchy, I.e. the more viral it is the bigger the impact.

The fact you're all here talking about it is proof positive the advert was successful. Even the people whining about how it attacks competitors when it's actually only attacking fanboyism - you're all just SEO fodder.

#49 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:46

Its a really funny ad but like others have said, they should spend more time showing me what a windows phone can do..

I don't have any problems with ragging on the competition myself. I consider the old Apple ads the best in this regard. They poked fun at Windows' shortcomings while saying subtly "we don't have this problem."

Some people get it and some don't. Microsoft doesn't.

#50 webcivilian

webcivilian

webcivilian

• 169 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:09

I guess only 2 people use Windows Phone out of more than 100. Seems fair.

#51 libertas83

libertas83

Neowinian

• 758 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:35

Actually, a lot of advertising is about subliminal messages as well as catchy tunes, sounds to get it noticed. Anyone else notice that the sound of the NFC contact is first a "bing" noise then immediately the woman says "search".

#52 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:59

Wow, that was cringe-worthy. Microsoft is so useless.

#53 PreKe

PreKe

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:05

Heh:

Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone sales hit a record high in the recent quarter

...which isn't saying much because the sales are still rather pathetic.

#54 offroadaaron

offroadaaron

root can touch you anywhere

• 2,738 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:54

Finally a decent advert with MS in it!!!!!!

#55 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,253 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 15:04

Reading off a glorified spec sheet gets you nowhere, a good advert is catchy, I.e. the more viral it is the bigger the impact.

All that does is gets people to buy a product because of a catchy advert. Then they buy the product without knowing what it can do and find it is inadequate to their needs/tastes.

You can have a catchy advert and still produce a good avert telling what the phone can do.

#56 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 May 2013 - 20:25

Eh, I thought it was amusing enough. I think a lot of you don't really understand marketing and the demographics involved. If they ran a commercial on this site, then yes, they should compare and use specs, etc. However, the general public doesn't have a CLUE what any of those stats mean and don't care about the subtle differences that make one camera better than another or anything like that. They just want what makes them look cool to their friends. When their friends pull out a year old phone, they want to say "Oh yeah, look what I have!". Marketing to us is entirely different than marketing to the general public, and we already know where to get our specs and comparisons. They are marketing to exactly who they want to market to, and exactly how they want to market it. Same as the Samsung commercials and the Apple commercials.

In this commercial they are hoping to convince people who are tired of hearing Apple this or Samsung that that their WP platform is a good alternative to the nerd fights. They want to appeal to the people who don't care that they have almost no market share because they think it's an alternative to the norms. All they want you to do is ask about it in the store and hope the rep will show it off to you.