Nokia shareholder tells CEO Elop he's going to hell

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#76 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:59

Also, the Lumia 920 is the most popular Windows Phone device (source). And it's a high-end device. That shows how well they're doing on the hardware side. And speaking of the hardware side, WP allows them to be unique and not just with the OS. The Lumia range of phones are offered in a variety of colours that go well with the colours of WP. If they went with Android, they'd have the same issues as any company that isn't Samsung (but to a lesser degree because it's Nokia and their hardware is awesome).

Unique? hah, what a joke. It's basically the same end experience with slight variations to the CPU, RAM, Camera, and case. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft limits what they can and cannot design into their handsets. You get none of that limitation with Android, hell pretty much any part of it apart from the Google Experience applications can be customised.

#77 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:00

exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft? What different on Nokia Windows Phone 8 different compared to other Windows Phone 8 devices from HTC or Samsung? Sorry maybe I'm not follow the tech news much so I might be missing something out.

I'm with you. I can't tell they gain much.

#78 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,782 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:05

" Shareholders large and small lambasted Elop for his strategy, but the American boss insisted there was no Plan B."

Elop is Canadian.

#79 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:09

" Shareholders large and small lambasted Elop for his strategy, but the American boss insisted there was no Plan B."

Elop is Canadian.

it would have been fitting if you finished your post with the same pic in your avatar.

#80 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,782 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:15

Android is not HTCs problem. Its lack of support for devices soon after launch, the number of different models produced, and the design of their phones. LG and Huawei are both doing well with Android and have posted profits.. They would have the same issue if they went WP.

A reason why I'm considering moving to WP8 and a Nokia device in a few months. My HTC android phone was discontinued within months or release and got 1 android update to 4.0.3. For anyone in a contract that's a kick in the plums. It's a shame because the hardware and design of the device is solid.

#81 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

• 1,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:00

A reason why I'm considering moving to WP8 and a Nokia device in a few months. My HTC android phone was discontinued within months or release and got 1 android update to 4.0.3. For anyone in a contract that's a kick in the plums. It's a shame because the hardware and design of the device is solid.

Get a Nexus device for Android or at least some "reputable" Android device such as the Galaxy S line.

#82 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

• 1,725 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:29

Unique? hah, what a joke. It's basically the same end experience with slight variations to the CPU, RAM, Camera, and case. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft limits what they can and cannot design into their handsets. You get none of that limitation with Android, hell pretty much any part of it apart from the Google Experience applications can be customised.

What were you expecting phones to have? Two screens?

Nokia is announcing a thinner version of the Nokia Lumia 920 later this month.

#83 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,782 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:02

Nokia is announcing a thinner version of the Nokia Lumia 920 later this month.

Not really looking that high end. More leaning towards the 620.

#84 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:54

What were you expecting phones to have? Two screens?

I like it when the OEMs can customise the software to suit their customers. Windows Phone, like the iPhone is impossible to customise, and as much as I dislike the iPhone, at least on the iPhone you aren't stuck with IE.

Get a Nexus device for Android or at least some "reputable" Android device such as the Galaxy S line.

+1

I have a Galaxy S from 2010 and it's still able to run the latest version of Android.

#85 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,206 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 19:40

I like it when the OEMs can customise the software to suit their customers. Windows Phone, like the iPhone is impossible to customise, and as much as I dislike the iPhone, at least on the iPhone you aren't stuck with IE.

How is being stuck with IE worse than safari

#86 Brony

Brony

Brony power!

• 4,372 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 19:53

Nokia, during the 2012, closed some building, fired a lot of workers and now, they are doing it fine?.
It is hard to believe.

BTW, it is a bit easy to inflate the earning, for example, selling some buildings.

#87 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,299 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:32

Nokia, during the 2012, closed some building, fired a lot of workers and now, they are doing it fine?.
It is hard to believe.

BTW, it is a bit easy to inflate the earning, for example, selling some buildings.

So? They sold some buildings. That doesn't mean they're folding. Nokia is doing just fine, they're on a path to recovery.

#88 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 3,836 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 20:39

Im glad they went with Windows Phone. If they went the Android route, they would be competing with Samsung as the flagship maker. Nokia still dominates in the dumb phone market outside the U.S. For the Windows Phone route I feel Nokia was able to really bring out their designs at tie it richly with the OS. It just wouldn't work well with any other OS.

#89 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,299 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:12

I think the folks that criticize Nokia for going exclusively with Windows Phone are upset, and maybe even a little jealous, that they're finding success with a product they wanted so desperately to fail. Or they have some investment in Google.

Elop set the company on the right path, and it'll take some time, but the boat is slowly starting to turn around.

#90 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:24

So? They sold some buildings. That doesn't mean they're folding. Nokia is doing just fine, they're on a path to recovery.

I wish I could share your optimism. I feel it may be too late for them now.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!