Photo

Does Adobe's new subscription only affect you?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:17

Well, i've been a photoshop user since around 2005ish, lightroom user since 2008, my pickle is, you need a new version for adobe ACR every time a new camera comes out, now granted I don't upgrade my dSLRS ever year, but still, i won't shell out $50 a month for the latest and greatest adobes CC. I initially got photoshop as a free from a pre-built computer that included a basic software suite/kit, so i've been trickle upgrading whenever I could, Now I think i'll be stuck on CS 6 forever until I buy a new camera that requires me to find an alternative.

The only workaround I've found, is just not shoot raw, but that kinda defeats the purpose for me...

#2 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:19

Here where I work we already used the subscription model as it worked out better for us.

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:27

I fear the subscription model is going to work great for the companies with multiple users, but gonna suck for us small guys. I haven't tried the new model yet but it looks like I'm going to have to whether I want to or not.

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:29

I fear the subscription model is going to work great for the companies with multiple users, but gonna suck for us small guys. I haven't tried the new model yet but it looks like I'm going to have to whether I want to or not.

I will agree that it does in fact suck for the small guy and small company, however, Adobe has made it clear several times in the past that they generally just care about the larger customers rather than the smaller ones.

#5 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:34

I will agree that it does in fact suck for the small guy and small company, however, Adobe has made it clear several times in the past that they generally just care about the larger customers rather than the smaller ones.

Yeah, but a bunch of little guys make up something big in the end eg "there are no small customers", but there's no going back it seems, my only hope is that there revenue falls like crazy the first year or two, that way they will be forced to return to the previous model.

#6 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:01

Worked out great for me. If anyone uses it for "work" its a great deal. Now for regular users who only use photoshop to edit their own photos for personal use and small things like that, then its not worth it at all.

#7 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:05

Worked out great for me. If anyone uses it for "work" its a great deal. Now for regular users who only use photoshop to edit their own photos for personal use and small things like that, then its not worth it at all.

Yeah, I don't live off photography/design, so I fall in that group :/

#8 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:10

Since I only use Lightroom it hardly affects me. As long as they don't do it for Lightroom I guess I'll be fine with it. Or well, if the price in the end turns out to be the same as just buying new releases whenever they get released I probably will subscribe.

#9 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:45

Since I only use Lightroom it hardly affects me. As long as they don't do it for Lightroom I guess I'll be fine with it. Or well, if the price in the end turns out to be the same as just buying new releases whenever they get released I probably will subscribe.

Lightroom depends from camera raw ( ACR), so when you buy a new camera, if you shoot raw, you're going to be screwed, because you will only be able to update if you subscribe.

#10 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:00

Lightroom depends from camera raw ( ACR), so when you buy a new camera, if you shoot raw, you're going to be screwed, because you will only be able to update if you subscribe.

True, though Lightroom isn't too expensive. If you shoot RAW and can get yourself a new camera you can probably afford Lightroom too. It's probably just as important as the camera itself in making sure your photos look good.

#11 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:08

True, though Lightroom isn't too expensive. If you shoot RAW and can get yourself a new camera you can probably afford Lightroom too. It's probably just as important as the camera itself in making sure your photos look good.

you misunderstood, lightroom will keep working, but to get the ACR plugin that makes it "recognize" the new cameras raw file, comes in CS6... heck adobe themselves stated they don't know what they're going to do with this particular situation.

#12 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:22

It doesn't effect me at all (now). I just bought CS6 a year ago to replace a questionably acquired copy of CS2. Given that I can't even be bothered to upgrade my "trial" copy, I doubt I'll be looking at upgrading from CS6 for ~ 7 years.

Of course, come 2020, I'll be ****ed. I'm already thinking about buying Pixelmator for a fallback.

#13 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:37

It doesn't effect me at all (now). I just bought CS6 a year ago to replace a questionably acquired copy of CS2. Given that I can't even be bothered to upgrade my "trial" copy, I doubt I'll be looking at upgrading from CS6 for ~ 7 years.

Of course, come 2020, I'll be ****ed. I'm already thinking about buying Pixelmator for a fallback.

Wow long vision into 2020 :p

#14 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:47

you misunderstood, lightroom will keep working, but to get the ACR plugin that makes it "recognize" the new cameras raw file, comes in CS6... heck adobe themselves stated they don't know what they're going to do with this particular situation.

That's what I meant. If you can afford a fancy new camera you can afford a Lightroom upgrade too if you really need it (because it's not really the most expensive software, especially not if you take into account what you can do with it).

#15 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 May 2013 - 23:14

+1. Works out well for me too, I earn a living from Adobe software (Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign) and usually always upgraded to the latest "design premium" collection which was about £700 every 16 months, creative cloud gives me the latest version of the entire adobe suite for the same cost. This is also excluding the fact that if you own Mac/Windows systems you can use the same creative cloud subscription on both operating systems giving you higher savings.

I don't really see the problem, if you're only using Photoshop as a hobby either:
  • Stick with the version you've got
  • Pay $200 / year ('single app' creative cloud subscription) for the latest version which still makes it cheaper than most hobbies
  • Switch to something else
I'm not surprised Adobe are making this move, presumably in an attempt to reduce piracy, the amount of people using pirated adobe software is ridiculous.