youtube google microsoft windows phone

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,638 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:07

Although I appreciate Microsoft's effort in delivering a quality YouTube experience for WP8 users, I can't think of a good reason to ignore Google's demand. It seems unfair for Google to deny Microsoft full access to the YouTube API but it's also unfair for Microsoft to circumvent the ad revenue system in YouTube. In the end, it belongs to Google and they can do whatever they want with their product and branding.

I hope both companies come to an agreement that will give us the current app in a slightly different form or an official app from Google.

agreed.

You can download videos with the Windows app?

And didnt MS recently sent out letters to devs on Windows that used Facebooks trademarks...

#17 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,348 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:18

agreed.

You can download videos with the Windows app?

And didnt MS recently sent out letters to devs on Windows that used Facebooks trademarks...

facebook sent the take down requests to MS to deliver to the devs.

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,638 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:25

facebook sent the take down requests to MS to deliver to the devs.

ahh, ok....my mistake

But there is more to this if others would read the letter. Taking money away from the creators for blocking the ads and being able to download them is not allowed. Even if it was up to the creators to determine if their videos can be downloaded, I doubt they would be happy with the loss of revenue.

#19 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 4,024 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:30

Google better be careful. They're top dog right now in phones and tablets, by a wide margin. When they start hurting consumers, it won't work out well for them no matter how big of a lead they have.

#20 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,103 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 15 May 2013 - 21:35

Didn't Google a while ago said it would ignore the standard ON setting for tracking protection in IE10 on windows 8

I would say **** You Google if I was MS, until Google wants to play nice they shouldn't either

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 00:28

I would say **** You Google if I was MS, until Google wants to play nice they shouldn't either

Legally I don't think they can. If they do I'm sure Google will sue them for a zillion dollars and win. It's Google's site and they can do what they want with it.

#22 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,103 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:26

Legally I don't think they can. If they do I'm sure Google will sue them for a zillion dollars and win. It's Google's site and they can do what they want with it.

We don't know yet if whatever MS is saying is true, but if Google is not giving them access to the right API's to actually accomplish what Google wants them to do, I don't think Google has a case
I really hope Google bites the dust on this on

#23 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,653 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:27

It seems MS isn't using Googles APIs so then they can't violate the rules behind those APIs in the end. If this is indeed the case Google has no legal stance in this other than to block the WP app which will only make them look bad in the PR battle.