56 posts in this topic

Posted

Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox As Default Browser in Ubuntu 13.10

Ubuntu 13.10 is hoping to ship with Chromium as the default web-browser in place of Mozilla Firefox.

In a discussion on the subject at the current Ubuntu Developer Summit developers expressed broad support for the change, saying that they are

Posted

About time!

2 people like this

Posted

I would love to see Chromium as the default browser in Ubuntu!

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not sure I agree with this. I love Chromium, but Firefox seems a better fit for Ubuntu to me.

1 person likes this

Posted

Agreed with the OP, it's been a long time coming IMO.

Posted

While it doesn't really surprise me, I'm not sure I like how some of the rationale is "But it's WebKit!"

Posted

I'd like to see Internet Explorer offered as an option for default browser.

3 people like this

Posted

Although I prefer Firefox over Chromium, I see no particular disadvantage to Canonical making Chromium the default browser in Ubuntu as long as they continue updating Firefox like they are currently. In fact, it might even be a net benefit if it encourages Canonical to keep on top of Chromium releases as well as they already do for Firefox. This move will effectively change almost nothing. The people who prefer Firefox will still use Firefox and the people who prefer Chrome will still use Chromium (or Chrome).

Posted

Hey xorange, Is iceweasel the open source Debian version of Firefox, as Chromium is the open source of Chrome?

Posted

Hey xorange, Is iceweasel the open source Debian version of Firefox, as Chromium is the open source of Chrome?

Iceweasel is the Debian version of Firefox with different branding. It exists purely because the Firefox branding isn't compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). Functionally Iceweasel and Firefox are identical.

1 person likes this

Posted

Iceweasel is the Debian version of Firefox with different branding. It exists purely because the Firefox branding isn't compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). Functionally Iceweasel and Firefox are identical.

I thought they were two different things, no?

Posted

I thought Chromium uses Blink now (not WebKit)?

Posted

Chromium is the kinda 'beta' version of the next version of chrome afaik.

Posted

I thought Chromium uses Blink now (not WebKit)?

Not yet, though it will in the future - version 28 and above will be based on Blink. Even so, there won't be any meaningful difference for the foreseeable future.

Posted

Not yet, though it will in the future. There won't be any meaningful difference for the foreseeable future.

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

Posted

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

Posted

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

Posted

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

No worries. :)

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

Posted

While it doesn't really surprise me, I'm not sure I like how some of the rationale is "But it's WebKit!"

but WebKit is a fork from ancient linux browser, so its like returning to the root, .. almost.

Posted

not happy with that decision at all. despite using chromium by myself atm, i think firefox is the more complete package + it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

Posted

it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

Not trying to fuel a this-vs-that argument but yea, that's one of the reasons I much prefer Firefox over Chromium.. their addons are just sooooo much better, ABP being an excellent example. The Chromium version is sorely lacking in functionality and capabilities, and doing any custom rules, well, it's just easier to do it it Firefox and copy/paste them over. Give me Chromium's engine with Firefox's interface, addons and flexibility and I'll be pretty happy.

But hey, it's just a default, can't make everybody happy with out of the box settings... replace it and forget it. Their ISO isn't all that large though, could always add an options page during the installer, pick your browser, optional office/graphics/etc tools, let the user customize it a bit before dropping the kitchen sink install in your lap.

Posted

I thought they were two different things, no?

Mephistopheles answers are absolutely correct. Firefox and Iceweasel are exactly the same product, except for the branding. If you want a more thorough explanation I recommend that you read this Linux.com article from 2006 explaining Debian's decision to rebrand all Mozilla software in the main distribution. If you are interested in the differences at a more technical level, you can inspect the diff between the Firefox source released by Mozilla and the version released by the Debian Mozilla Team.

Posted

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

Posted

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

I used to use Firefox because of the extensions but I found they made the browser horribly unreliable and I was constantly prompted to update them. Now I use Chrome with a minimal selection of plugins and it suits me just fine. For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.