Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox As Default Browser in Ubuntu 13.10

Chromium Likely to Replace Firefox As Default Browser in Ubuntu 13.10

Ubuntu 13.10 is hoping to ship with Chromium as the default web-browser in place of Mozilla Firefox.

In a discussion on the subject at the current Ubuntu Developer Summit developers expressed broad support for the change, saying that they are ?leaning towards? supporting such a switch.

Ubuntu ?s Desktop Manager, Jason Warner, who says the switch ?feels like the right decision for the general user?, shared the main rationale behind it:

• Google Chrome has ?leapfrogged? Firefox in usage
  • There is ?clear demand? for it from users; supplying Chromium would meet expectations
  • Switching to webkit-based browser offers consistency across convergent platforms
  • Warner stressed that updated versions of Firefox will remain readily available to install from the Ubuntu Software Center.

?Concerns Addressed?

The session also saw developers tackle concerns and complaints that have prevented Chromium becoming the default browser in the past. Security, PC support, user-preferences, and methods of delivering updated packages were all touched upon.

One commonly raised ?issue? is that of extensions, or rather lack thereof, available the open-source browser in comparison to Firefox. Chad Miller, maintainer of Chromium in Ubuntu, explained that the Chrome Webstore offers a massive choice already, adding that ?if it?s recent code, it?s almost certain someone has built it for Chrome.?

Switching to Chromium will also allow Unity Web Apps to take advantage of a proper ?Chromeless? state rather than the Firefox insistence on them opening in a new tab.

Sadly for those using PowerPC versions of Ubuntu Chromium?s V8 rendering engine is not available, meaning Firefox would have to ship in its place.

A final decision on whether to default to Chromium will be taken following further consultation with the Ubuntu community in the coming weeks.

Key Points:

• Developers debating switch to Chromium
  • Chormium ?more popular? than Firefox, as well as more performant
  • Switch would create ?consistency? between Ubuntu Touch & Ubuntu desktop as both use Webkit
  • Unity Web Apps will be able to use Chromium ?Chromeless? mode
  • Stable releases of Chromium will be released as they?re available, much like Firefox
  • Firefox will remain updated and available to install from Software Center
  • Final decision to be taken after feedback with community

Source: OMG! Ubuntu!

Although I prefer Firefox over Chromium, I see no particular disadvantage to Canonical making Chromium the default browser in Ubuntu as long as they continue updating Firefox like they are currently. In fact, it might even be a net benefit if it encourages Canonical to keep on top of Chromium releases as well as they already do for Firefox. This move will effectively change almost nothing. The people who prefer Firefox will still use Firefox and the people who prefer Chrome will still use Chromium (or Chrome).

Hey xorange, Is iceweasel the open source Debian version of Firefox, as Chromium is the open source of Chrome?

Hey xorange, Is iceweasel the open source Debian version of Firefox, as Chromium is the open source of Chrome?

Iceweasel is the Debian version of Firefox with different branding. It exists purely because the Firefox branding isn't compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). Functionally Iceweasel and Firefox are identical.

Iceweasel is the Debian version of Firefox with different branding. It exists purely because the Firefox branding isn't compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). Functionally Iceweasel and Firefox are identical.

I thought they were two different things, no?

I thought Chromium uses Blink now (not WebKit)?

Not yet, though it will in the future - version 28 and above will be based on Blink. Even so, there won't be any meaningful difference for the foreseeable future.

Not yet, though it will in the future. There won't be any meaningful difference for the foreseeable future.

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

No worries. :)

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

While it doesn't really surprise me, I'm not sure I like how some of the rationale is "But it's WebKit!"

but WebKit is a fork from ancient linux browser, so its like returning to the root, .. almost.

not happy with that decision at all. despite using chromium by myself atm, i think firefox is the more complete package + it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

Not trying to fuel a this-vs-that argument but yea, that's one of the reasons I much prefer Firefox over Chromium.. their addons are just sooooo much better, ABP being an excellent example. The Chromium version is sorely lacking in functionality and capabilities, and doing any custom rules, well, it's just easier to do it it Firefox and copy/paste them over. Give me Chromium's engine with Firefox's interface, addons and flexibility and I'll be pretty happy.

But hey, it's just a default, can't make everybody happy with out of the box settings... replace it and forget it. Their ISO isn't all that large though, could always add an options page during the installer, pick your browser, optional office/graphics/etc tools, let the user customize it a bit before dropping the kitchen sink install in your lap.

I thought they were two different things, no?

Mephistopheles answers are absolutely correct. Firefox and Iceweasel are exactly the same product, except for the branding. If you want a more thorough explanation I recommend that you read this Linux.com article from 2006 explaining Debian's decision to rebrand all Mozilla software in the main distribution. If you are interested in the differences at a more technical level, you can inspect the diff between the Firefox source released by Mozilla and the version released by the Debian Mozilla Team.

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

I used to use Firefox because of the extensions but I found they made the browser horribly unreliable and I was constantly prompted to update them. Now I use Chrome with a minimal selection of plugins and it suits me just fine. For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.