• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:10

Not yet, though it will in the future. There won't be any meaningful difference for the foreseeable future.

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:11

Chrome/Chromium have switched to Blink a few weeks ago, with the release of Chrom{-e, -ium} 28 to the dev channel.

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

#18 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:12

I've already updated my post for clarification. The current stable and beta releases are based on WebKit - only the dev channel is using Blink.

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:23

Oh ok, didn't see your edit.

No worries. :)

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

#20 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:30

While it doesn't really surprise me, I'm not sure I like how some of the rationale is "But it's WebKit!"

but WebKit is a fork from ancient linux browser, so its like returning to the root, .. almost.

#21 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:31

not happy with that decision at all. despite using chromium by myself atm, i think firefox is the more complete package + it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

#22 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 13:40

it comes with an ad blocker which we can call working and not just pretending to work like chromiums does.

Not trying to fuel a this-vs-that argument but yea, that's one of the reasons I much prefer Firefox over Chromium.. their addons are just sooooo much better, ABP being an excellent example. The Chromium version is sorely lacking in functionality and capabilities, and doing any custom rules, well, it's just easier to do it it Firefox and copy/paste them over. Give me Chromium's engine with Firefox's interface, addons and flexibility and I'll be pretty happy.

But hey, it's just a default, can't make everybody happy with out of the box settings... replace it and forget it. Their ISO isn't all that large though, could always add an options page during the installer, pick your browser, optional office/graphics/etc tools, let the user customize it a bit before dropping the kitchen sink install in your lap.

#23 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 17 May 2013 - 18:01

I thought they were two different things, no?

Mephistopheles answers are absolutely correct. Firefox and Iceweasel are exactly the same product, except for the branding. If you want a more thorough explanation I recommend that you read this Linux.com article from 2006 explaining Debian's decision to rebrand all Mozilla software in the main distribution. If you are interested in the differences at a more technical level, you can inspect the diff between the Firefox source released by Mozilla and the version released by the Debian Mozilla Team.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 May 2013 - 18:22

Personally I'm in favour of this move, as I've long considered Chrome to be the better browser and to have the better rendering engine. Mozilla is going to have to do a lot for Firefox to make a come back.

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 17 May 2013 - 21:13

I use Chrome on everything I own. It's my favorite browser. However I've found that the extensions are much better on Firefox.

I used to use Firefox because of the extensions but I found they made the browser horribly unreliable and I was constantly prompted to update them. Now I use Chrome with a minimal selection of plugins and it suits me just fine. For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.

#26 fobban

fobban

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2013 - 21:20

Chromium is the kinda 'beta' version of the next version of chrome afaik.

No, Chrome is based on Chromium and adds some extra features, for example it bundles flash support.

Chromium and Chrome versions are in sync, so when Chromium 28 is final, so is Chrome. You also have the dev and canary channels in both browsers.

#27 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:18

I have some privacy issues with chrome, so I use chromium more than FF
I actually one of Opera lovers, but started to chrome recently. I was happy to know opera will use the chrome engine.this way I could get the best of chrome with opera philosophy

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:32

For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.

I agree. How do we go about getting that? :D

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:50

I think it will involve taking hostages. Browser developers seem to have a vulnerability to cakes, so that will be our ruse. :shiftyninja:

#30 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:03

For me the ultimate browser would be Chrome, with the smooth scrolling and mouse gestures of Opera and the extension support of Firefox.

you could always take the source form chromium and add on these features yourself :p