Left my Lumia 920 for an HTC One

So, I ended up moving my phone back to Android. Windows Phone 8 is lacking some serious customization that I require.

I had the Lumia since late last year and here is my top list for Windows Phone 8/Lumia 920 (It wouldn't be fair to say things that either iOS/Android doesn't do, so I won't):

* VPN. This is a must for me and my work. Android and iOS have had it for years. This is a windows phone!

* Every time I use Pandora, if a Bluetooth device connects, it starts, if it disconnects, it starts again. So, I can pause the music. Get out of my car and my phone starts blaring whatever song was on.

* Pandora app doesn't work with my car (Chevy Volt)

* USAA application disappeared and I deposit checks with it.

* Finding an address is easier on Android for me. I simply say the address and it goes there. I don't have the same experience on the Window's phone.

* I feel very restricted when developing an application for Window's devices.

Good luck Microsoft. I wish you would open your platform up more. I feel like I am in jail. The same really goes for Windows 8. I think App permissions is very important and should always be part of the experience. But, to limit these permissions is a mistake. The coolest things really come from developers hacking devices.

So, I'm going back to developing for Android. I'll miss Visual Studio as it is a great studio.

For reference, I have developed some simple applications for both platforms that have some downloads. My most popular application was City Caller ID for Android. It was pulled due to patent restrictions. But, I still love that I could make an application that can do these things! This is simply not possible on Windows Phone or iOS.

http://phandroid.com/2010/02/23/lawsuit-city-caller-id-application-pulled-from-market/

One other thing I forgot to add. I hate the single volume for everything on the phone. I like to have different volumes for Bluetooth, speakers, and phone.

Ooo i like that door, but serious he is right. Windows Phone 8 is just very limiting. I got my GF the 820 and you cant seem to control anything. Its left me feeling terrible for purchasing it for her.

Yeh windows 8 phone is fine for the average consumer who just wants to make calls/text, browse facebook and play angry birds

much like iphone

once you get used to custom roms and the cutomisability of android its very hard to go back

for example i tried a lumia 800 for a few months

I had to always use skydrive to upload my documents to the phone, why the hell couldnt i just do drag and drop from WINDOWS DESKTOP, i can do it on my android phone... same with music and video files, why do i have to sync with zune all the time /itunes with iphone.

I couldnt have individual volumes as you point out

i couldnt figure out how to have custom ringtone or text tone

i coulnt change the vibration styles for calls and messages ( a nokia from 2002 can do this...)

there was no way to set do not disturb times

there was no easy way to access airplane mode,and other settings (compared to the pull down notification bar in android)

there was no light notification for missed calls/texts, you have to turn on the screen to check

there was no easy file browser/explorer

lack of apps

these are just the thing i can think of right now

i felt very limited on the lumia,

good for you. complaining about certain features or limitations that existed and you knew about before you purchased the device is just a whiny thing to do. i hope you enjoy your malware,and info stealing apps, useless back button, the lag and choppiness,and horrible IDE compared to a world class one.

• Like 3

Yeh windows 8 phone is fine for the average consumer who just wants to make calls/text, browse facebook and play angry birds

much like iphone

once you get used to custom roms and the cutomisability of android its very hard to go back

for example i tried a lumia 800 for a few months

I had to always use skydrive to upload my documents to the phone, why the hell couldnt i just do drag and drop from WINDOWS DESKTOP, i can do it on my android phone... same with music and video files, why do i have to sync with zune all the time /itunes with iphone.

i couldnt figure out how to have custom ringtone or text tone

there was no easy way to access airplane mode,and other settings (compared to the pull down notification bar in android)

there was no light notification for missed calls/texts, you have to turn on the screen to check

there was no easy file browser/explorer

lack of apps

these are just the thing i can think of right now

i felt very limited on the lumia,

Not sure how WP 7.X worked, but in 8 you can connect it to the PC and file browse the device to drag an drop items, like documents, videos, music, etc.

WP 8 can do custom ringtone, no text/mail/etc yet.

Airplane mode on 8 can be access via the settings app, or there's apps that can pin it right to the screen to get easy access (I believe NFC can do the same to open certain things)

The light notification, guess I'm a person who hasn't missed that since I had a Blackerry and switched to iPhone and now to Windows Phone 8.

Lack of apps, I guess it depends on what you are missing. Honestly out of the 181 applications I have for my iPhone, I used maybe less than 10 on a regular basis. Everything I need to do on a daily basis I have on my Lumia 928.

Is this a rant post or what?

Why does everyone need to make a post when they change what product they use? Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I am a huge Microsoft fan. I don't think I am alone here. I was able to get 5 other people to switch to the Lumia 920 just based off the camera. Of those 5, two already went back to Android also. (Just an FYI)

I posted because I believe it is important that Microsoft see why they weren't able to keep me on their phone platform. Especially a die hard MS fan who used Windows 8 from last BUILD conference.

good for you. complaining about certain features or limitations that existed and you knew about before you purchased the device is just a whiny thing to do. i hope you enjoy your malware,and info stealing apps, useless back button, the lag and choppiness,and horrible IDE compared to a world class one.

I'm assuming by his post he's not some brain dead user who just installs things randomly so I think he'll avoid malware etc.

I have a SII Skyrocket, and I have no lag or choppiness and my back button is far from useless. You could always address his very clearly stated issues...

* VPN. This is a must for me and my work. Android and iOS have had it for years. This is a windows phone!

* Every time I use Pandora, if a Bluetooth device connects, it starts, if it disconnects, it starts again. So, I can pause the music. Get out of my car and my phone starts blaring whatever song was on.

* Finding an address is easier on Android for me. I simply say the address and it goes there. I don't have the same experience on the Window's phone.

Good luck Microsoft. I wish you would open your platform up more. I feel like I am in jail. The same really goes for Windows 8. I think App permissions is very important and should always be part of the experience. But, to limit these permissions is a mistake. The coolest things really come from developers hacking devices.

So, I'm going back to developing for Android. I'll miss Visual Studio as it is a great studio.

For reference, I have developed some simple applications for both platforms that have some downloads. My most popular application was City Caller ID for Android. It was pulled due to patent restrictions. But, I still love that I could make an application that can do these things! This is simply not possible on Windows Phone or iOS.

http://phandroid.com...ed-from-market/

- I honestly don't understand why Microsoft didn't do VPN instead of useless features such as Rooms and NFC

- I haven't had problem with Pandora but then I don't use it over bluetooth. Is that an app bug or API limitation? What do you mean it doesn't work with Chevy Volt? (bluetooth profile?)

- Nokia needs to enable voice commands in their HERE suite asap. I agree with this (although Google maps is next to useless if you lose signal where HERE maps shine. I think offline is much better with HERE which is more important than voice)

- Not sure what you mean by "I feel very restricted". You can always work with XDA community to work outside of what Microsoft allows, right?

Edit: To add to my "useless features" rant, these features need to be implemented before they do anymore fluff

- Notification management (with or without a center). For example, I use whatsapp but I don't want it to bother me with push notifications. Customize notification alerts for sound and/or display.

- Multitasking - fix it. I don't care if the apps are capable or not just ****ing fix the primitive multitasking.

- Different sound controls for ringer, music etc. It simply amazes me they haven't done for nearly 3 years now.

- Basic customization such as custom alert sounds is missing, why?

- Not sure what you mean by "I feel very restricted". You can always work with XDA community to work outside of what Microsoft allows, right?

- I like being able to load non-market applications by allowing it in a settings area. Yes, I am a developer. But this is a pain in the butt when I want friends to beta my stuff. I have done the email beta thing on the Microsoft Store. Just is not as easy as emailing an apk for them to try.

- I can mess with the OS internals on Android.

Honestly though. My biggest gripe as a developer. DirectX is not the most fun to program in C++. I like to make indie games in my spare time and Android has a better basis for them. I'm not a programming team with crazy resources. While I know things like Monogame help (although just getting the game to do landscape is a challenge), it is not the best solution yet.

Good, we surely don't want WP twisted up for people like you who want to treat your phadlet like a mini-PC.

VPN, lol.

The HTC one is not a phadlet. Most of my complaints have nothing to do with me wanting it to be a mini-pc. Although, I do have to RDP to a server occasionally, which WP8 does okay through an RDP gateway. My Lumia was actually very close to a mini-PC with a Windows 8 kernel and all.

As a corporate user. VPN is important for getting to intranet statistics. We have several servers that have no business being on the outside network. I like to be able to use these internal sites just like I did on Android.

So, I ended up moving my phone back to Android. Windows Phone 8 is lacking some serious customization that I require.

I had the Lumia since late last year and here is my top list for Windows Phone 8/Lumia 920 (It wouldn't be fair to say things that either iOS/Android doesn't do, so I won't):

http://phandroid.com...ed-from-market/

Whatever!!!!

While WP could use multiple volumes. There's is a few things to keep in mind here, 90% or more of users don't care, in fact they don't understand multiple volumes. and look how horribly it works on android, I get annoyed on my phones at times as certain parts of the volume can only be adjusted in the right place, and the game keeps switching between phone, media, system and game volume modes.

The HTC one is not a phadlet. Most of my complaints have nothing to do with me wanting it to be a mini-pc. Although, I do have to RDP to a server occasionally, which WP8 does okay through an RDP gateway. My Lumia was actually very close to a mini-PC with a Windows 8 kernel and all.

The kernel doesn't make WP8 any more of a mini PC. only the shell and API's on top of the kernel can do that.

I question a world where your data is so confidential that you can't find a better way to publish it than dialing in, but think Android itself would make the approved device list.

- I like being able to load non-market applications by allowing it in a settings area. Yes, I am a developer. But this is a pain in the butt when I want friends to beta my stuff. I have done the email beta thing on the Microsoft Store. Just is not as easy as emailing an apk for them to try.

This would make it very easy to distribute a virus. They kinda want to get rid of this virus friendly image.

The one thing that REALLY annoys me about Android is that for what ever reason they decided to combine the Notification with the Ringtone volume and made it one. I HATE THAT. When I sleep at night I like to have my notifications get muted but I still want to get phone phonecalls. I've gone in and unselected the "link notifications and rintones" under sounds but that didn't separated them.

I am thinking about doing the same thing. The podcasts support sucks, and thats what i use my phone for the most.

Podcast support will expand to other markets with the next update. If that's the only problem you have with it then I'd say you should wait instead of doing a total switch.

I'd have to have a long list of issues to think about switching but I don't. I paid for my 8X unlocked upfront and expect to keep it for at least 2 years.

Useless back button? I think it is very useful.

Instead looking around the application for a back button, why not have a universal back button then works on everything?

"lag and choppiness"

He is switching to a HTC One, not some random China phone/tablet.

I don't have a HTC One but so far I tried out it is very smooth. Smoother than the S4 (I9505) for the UI but gaming the S4 does better.

Both are devices that you would not call it laggy or choppy.