7 replies to this topic

#1 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,070 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:55

Posted Image

LG's got quite a bit in store for us this week at SID's annual display exhibition in Vancouver. In addition to that 55-inch curved OLED TV we first heard about last month, the company will be demonstrating a very nifty 5-inch OLED panel. Created for mobile devices, the display is constructed of plastic, making it both flexible and unbreakable -- certainly a welcome quality when it comes to smartphone design.

Also on display will be 5- and 7-inch HD Oxide TFT panels. That first size features a bezel that's just 1mm wide, enabling a borderless frame when installed in smartphones. Both displays are lightweight and consume less power than their traditional equivalents. Finally, LG will have a 14-inch 2560x1440-pixel laptop panel on hand, along with LCDs designed for use in refrigerators and automotive dashboards. We'll be live from the SID show floor later this week -- check back for our hands-ons with all of these new LG panels, and quite a bit more.

http://www.engadget....-flexible-oled/

#2 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

• 4,409 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:59

I cant wait for the day when OLED is ready to takeover the TV display market.

#3 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

• 1,144 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:02

I cant wait for the day when OLED is ready to takeover the TV display market.

Why? Genuinely curious why everyone considers OLED the future.

#4 I am Reid

I am Reid

Neowinian Senior

• 4,409 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:07

The contrast alone makes it far superior

#5 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,933 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:27

Unbreakable? Riiiiiiiight...

#6 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,056 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:49

Unbreakable? Riiiiiiiight...

That normally means through normal use, not someone deliberately trying to destroy it.

#7 excalpius

excalpius

Neowinian Senior

• 4,673 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:31

Uses less power per pixel. Modern LCDs have to light up everything and then mask the foreground with another black panel to be "lit up". In contrast, OLED actually lights up only the pixels it needs, making it a truly light emissive display device. This means TRUE blacks, rather than the crappy greys of LCDs, so it should be capable of really reproducing the movie theater experience, etc.

OLED is far cheaper to manufacture (so it can be wall sized), doesn't require a glass faceplate, etc. etc.

Summary: It's cheaper, faster, and better. It's the killer tech every device in the world has been waiting for.

#8 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,835 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 00:29

I can't wait for them to transition to OLED to drive prices down. You can curve or even roll up an OLED screen, pretty futuristic if you ask me. ;)