Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cammy

USB Pen drive partitioner

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've spent hours searching for a program that will let me split a usb pen into two drives, so two seperate drive letters, for the purpose of creating 1 usb pen with multiple applications, so I can have one partition with W8 on it and another with WXP and another I can have portable apps or Hirens boot cd (so I don't have to carry around a million USB pens with me.

is there any such app? I've tried... mini tool partition wizard 7, usbdlm, bootice, u3-tool and a few others to no avail.

anybody got any suggestions?

While I have not verified this with Windows 8, previous versions of Windows were only capable of mounting the first partition on a flash drive (at least automatically). I exploited this caveat on a multiboot flash drive image I developed at work: the first partition (the only partition Windows would mount) contained utilities for use within Windows while the second contained bootable disc images and GRUB. Even if a machine tried to infect the executables on the first partition, the information on the second was always safe. For the record, I did not create the image in Windows. I recommend that you download GParted Live or an Ubuntu image to partition and populate your flash drive.

I use their universal usb installer, have you tried this, what are your thoughts?

YUMI works well. The only caveat I found is that you can only put one Vista/7/8 iso on a drive. However putting XP and 8 should be fine.

YUMI works well. The only caveat I found is that you can only put one Vista/7/8 iso on a drive. However putting XP and 8 should be fine.

I figured this and only went with xp/windows 8 on the pen, however doe Yumi not construct a boot screen with options?

YUMI's menu only includes an option to start the first hard disk or one of the ISOs you added (they are organized into submenus/categories).

I figured this and only went with xp/windows 8 on the pen, however doe Yumi not construct a boot screen with options?

If you are interested in having bootable Windows Vista, 7, and 8 installation images on your flash drive simultaneously, you should read this thread. The procedure is a little involved, but it works very well.

This is why I created a Windows 7 AIO image to overcome this. Seems pretty easy to make too, only need both of x86 & x64 of any edition you have. After that I added it to my YUMI key