Neowin Fonts look Meh on Linux

This is a sign that one might be spending too much time on computers and might need to step outdoors once in awhile imo.. seriously, it's font..

This is a sign that one might be spending too much time on computers and might need to step outdoors once in awhile imo.. seriously, it's font..

Buddy, you joined 7 days ago and you're already trolling. I don't like my fonts jagged and fused together, thank you.

It depends entirely upon the fonts you have installed and setup for usage.

Same as on windows, if you empty your fonts folders, websites will suddenly stop looking quite so nice.

I'm guessing your font config is setup to use embedded bitmaps in the font used on the site (most likely Segoe UI), if you disable them (via an XML tweak) it should look better.

What fonts are used on Neowin?

If they're Microsoft ones, you'll need to install msttcorefonts (Microsoft TrueType core fonts).

We don't use Microsoft truetype fonts, pretty sure it's helvetica, tahoma, arial etc (uses the first one you have on your system and ignores others) I also see the OP is blocking ads :(

Edit: Just checked, we use these: 'Segoe UI', Segoe, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif

Thing is, Arial looks great on Mac, (possibly Linux too?) but not in Windows which is why we use Segoe UI

We don't use Microsoft truetype fonts, pretty sure it's helvetica, tahoma, arial etc (uses the first one you have on your system and ignores others) I also see the OP is blocking ads :(

Edit: Just checked, we use these: 'Segoe UI', Segoe, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif

Thing is, Arial looks great on Mac, (possibly Linux too?) but not in Windows which is why we use Segoe UI

Yeah I apologize about that. Adblock Plus is baked into Iceweasel and I haven't had the chance to tweak it yet--I just reinstalled Debian yesterday on a Raid 0. I will edit my rules when I get home. :) Thanks for double checking those fonts for me. I'll try copying those fonts over from my Windows rig and see if that helps. Viper's fonts also look really nice so might give that a go. Thanks again! :)

They look great if you use the infinality freetype/fontconfig packages. I wrote a guide on installing them in debian: http://www.neowin.ne...__fromsearch__1

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...