A Georgia man is threatening to sue the city of Ringgold after he claims his constitutional rights were violated by police last Friday night, when officials asked him to stop bothering strangers? children about his beliefs in the Christian deity figure Jesus Christ.

Cleveland, GA resident Daryl Banther and his 8-year-old son were reportedly handing out religious pamphlets and questionnaires at an annual celebration in Ringgold when he was confronted by the city manager and chief of police, who interrupted his proselytizing because a parent filed a police report about a strange man in the parking lot approaching children.

He left after repeated requests and was not arrested, but Banther vowed to return the next day. He then contacted the media and informed a reporter for WTVC-TV that he did just as promised, returning on Saturday night to find that he was not hassled at all.

Appearing on camera, he claimed that Christians no longer have any rights in America, then seemed aghast that an atheist could possibly file a lawsuit to force government officials to stop showing a preference for a religion.

?They were all harassing me because I have a constitutional right to do what I was doing,? Banther insisted. ?If I?m anything else, I have rights,? he said. ??But as a Christian, we have rights no more. They?re taking all the Christian rights away and I?m going to stand for what?s right this time.?

The city told the station in a prepared statement that the event, the 1890s Day Jamboree, has ?established procedures? for participation, like getting approval to put on any kind of exhibit. ?Those exhibiting must have prior approval, and have a booth to operate the activity they are conducting,? the statement explained.

more & video

But as a christian, we have (special) rights no more. They?re taking all the (special) christian rights away.

Pick your fights carefully lest it bite you in the ass when your children are informed about paganism, islam etc.

You may subscribe to "alternative" history which states that the us is a christian nation but the courts don't.

I feel harassed every time I go into my local Walmart, and I can't get in without being asked to buy something or to support something. Just be available and if people are interested they will approach you.

• Like 2

I feel harassed every time I go into my local Walmart, and I can't get in without being asked to buy something or to support something. Just be available and if people are interested they will approach you.

And this is exactly why I don;t shop at Walmart. Way too many cretins

I don't get evangelists. The bible is well-known anthology which has been widely available for anyone who can read to read, for free, for centuries. Yet, some people feel they have special insight and a strong need to "spread the good news" about it.

To my mind, it is no different from going around telling people to read The Dictionary -- "because it's full of definitions of words, etc.".

The bible is like the Coca-cola of books -- pretty much everyone has heard of it, most have tried it at least once.

Appearing on camera, he claimed that Christians no longer have any rights in America, then seemed aghast that an atheist could possibly file a lawsuit to force government officials to stop showing a preference for a religion.

?They were all harassing me because I have a constitutional right to do what I was doing,? Banther insisted. ?If I?m anything else, I have rights,? he said. ??But as a Christian, we have rights no more. They?re taking all the Christian rights away and I?m going to stand for what?s right this time.?

Well, they have more rights than other groups...

Would the 'right' he was looking for happen to be, 'The right to do whatever I want'? You need approval and a booth -- get approval and a booth! Just because your friends with a Deity doesn't mean the rules don't apply to you.

Also, approaching children with fairy-tales fan-fiction religious information is creepy and a lot of parents don't like beliefs forced on their children; I know I wouldn't.

• Like 1

1) The fact that as a male I can't be chatty with anyone bothers me.

2) The fact that as a male I can't watch a school soccer game without being called a perv also bothers me.

3) The fact that people can't handle out any documentation that is religious also bothers me.

Society is going to a place where I really don't need or want to go. Nobody over hundreds of years had a problem with any of this.

"psst ... hey kid ... Jesus is in my van, and he's got some candy ..."

Right because every adult is a pedo, and every adult talking to a kid is a pedo.

Women can't write their name in the snow, pros and cons man.

2) The fact that as a male I can't watch a school soccer game without being called a perv also bothers me.

This is ridiculous... Tons of men watch school soccer games, if people are calling you a perv, it's likely you are being one.

3) The fact that people can't handle out any documentation that is religious also bothers me.

They can hand it out, but they needed approval from council before hand. Just like I can hand out flyers that tell you to go F yourself, if council approved a space for me to do it in (likely they wouldn't though lol).

Right because every adult is a pedo, and every adult talking to a kid is a pedo.

No, but it's overall better for life expectancy to treat all strangers talking to Children at random as malicious.

Yes, it's terrible we need to do that.

• Like 1

the bible indicates if someone didn't want hear about jesus, you should move on to another,

and not keep harassing those didn't want to hear it, thats God's job.

the bible indicates if someone didn't want hear about jesus, you should move on to another,

and not keep harassing those didn't want to hear it, thats God's job.

I really doubt he was harassing people. More like someone was an Atheist and didn't like it.

That is how it works now, want your religious freedom, you have to ask an Atheist to see if they will grant it. If you don't get your freedom granted, then you are out of luck.

That is how it works now, if you want freedom, you have to ask for it. If you don't get your freedom granted, then you are out of luck.

FTFY

I really doubt he was harassing people. More like someone was an Atheist and didn't like it.

That is how it works now, want your religious freedom, you have to ask an Atheist to see if they will grant it. If you don't get your freedom granted, then you are out of luck.

Yeah because the guy was a Christian it was totally an Atheist who complained, or maybe it was a parent bothered about some random guy approaching their kid, but no definitely an Atheist.

How is an Atheist complaining any different than a Christian harassing people by handing out religious literature.

• Like 1

Society is going to a place where I really don't need or want to go. Nobody over hundreds of years had a problem with any of this.

Don't turn this thread into a debate about religion. Wanna cry or complain about something? We have a forum for that: The Soapbox.

• Like 2