12 posts in this topic

Posted

Iron in Egyptian relics came from space

Meteorite impacts thousands of years ago may have helped to inspire ancient religion.

The 5,000-year-old iron bead might not look like much, but it hides a spectacular past: researchers have found that an ancient Egyptian trinket is made from a meteorite.

The result, published on 20 May in Meteoritics & Planetary Science, explains how ancient Egyptians obtained iron millennia before the earliest evidence of iron smelting in the region, solving an enduring mystery. It also hints that they regarded meteorites highly as they began to develop their religion.

Posted

Pretty sure all iron came from space

Posted

or Egyptians where from space.....

Posted

I always wondered they had iron that early in history. Now we know.

Posted

You know the Kaaba, the black stone building in Mecca that Muslims pray towards & circle during the Haj? An east cornerstone, the Black Stone, is a fragmented meteorite that has been venerated since pre-Muslim days. It supposedly dates back to Adam & Eve..

Posted

iron poop.

Posted

Pretty sure iron the last element that can possibly form in the core of every star, so yes.

Posted

I stand corrected.

Posted

Can't wait for them to find naquadah ;)

Posted

You know the Kaaba, the black stone building in Mecca that Muslims pray towards & circle during the Haj? An east cornerstone, the Black Stone, is a fragmented meteorite that has been venerated since pre-Muslim days. It supposedly dates back to Adam & Eve..

I read this before and it has always intrigues me since it seems anti-Muslim to venerate a stone from space, at least from my limited knowledge of Islam.

Posted

I read this before and it has always intrigues me since it seems anti-Muslim to venerate a stone from space, at least from my limited knowledge of Islam.

It is.

You'll only find mention of the "black stone" in traditions. It's not mentioned anywhere in the Quran.