pfsense

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 June 2013 - 18:41

After reading all this, man, what a headache. I did study MS's basic networking back in 2000 at the local military/civilian collage for UMUC.

what topography is your favorite btw? I think bus topography is pretty common among most normal users

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.) I hope you get it figured out Fahim, best wishes!

#17 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 22:10

Why would you need to 250 to make it the gateway for your network? What would you need to buy even - you already have 2 nics in it..

"After reading all this, man, what a headache." What?

Other than having to put up pictures for the OP.. This is literally like 5 minutes tops worth of setup.. I brought up the VM and created the little tutorial in that. If you were not worried about pictures and explaining it to someone take all of 2 minutes to setup.

"what topography is your favorite btw? - did you mean Topology? No "bus" is not common among normal users ;) A "star" would be the common setup where their home router is the center (switch) and their computer/devices all connect to the switch.

And if you would of read all of it - you would of seen he has it working..

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 June 2013 - 22:21

After reading all this, man, what a headache. I did study MS's basic networking back in 2000 at the local military/civilian collage for UMUC.

what topography is your favorite btw? I think bus topography is pretty common among most normal users

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.) I hope you get it figured out Fahim, best wishes!

It's not really a headache. Most things are much easier to do than to look at :p

As budman noted, it's topology >.< Bus network topologies are pretty rare. Star network topologies are far more common as they are cheaper and more resilient.

There are some great learning resources online if you want to get up to speed again (honestly Google could teach you a lot here :))

Why would you need to 250 to make it the gateway for your network? What would you need to buy even - you already have 2 nics in it..

"After reading all this, man, what a headache." What?

Other than having to put up pictures for the OP.. This is literally like 5 minutes tops worth of setup.. I brought up the VM and created the little tutorial in that. If you were not worried about pictures and explaining it to someone take all of 2 minutes to setup.

"what topography is your favorite btw? - did you mean Topology? No "bus" is not common among normal users ;) A "star" would be the common setup where their home router is the center (switch) and their computer/devices all connect to the switch.

And if you would of read all of it - you would of seen he has it working..

Be nice >.>

I guess he wants a dedicated box instead of running it in a VM? I'd just run it as a VM tbh.

Lastly, I'd have told him to cram it earlier.. Kudos for sticking it out >.<

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:50

Ah -- sure if he breaks it out on its own box, then sure it would cost some cash.. Maybe that is his plan?

But he could make it his router now for his whole network, not just his vms without having to buy anything. From what I can tell of his network.

The "I didn't ask your opinion" almost put me off - but It think about the next guy wanting to do this, etc. ;)

#20 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10

I went with the $100 router + OpenWRT route, only functional difference is that it's Linux instead of BSD.

Going back to the topology bit, hybrid star ftw

#21 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:27

It's going to cost money because the server lives (and must live) in a different room from where the fibre modem and current router lives so getting the PPPOE output from the fibre modem to the room where the server lives, then getting LAN traffic back to the original location and putting a 8-port switch and access point to where the current router lives.

Also want to upgrade the RAM in the server to make sure it has enough as it is going to be 'production'.

#22 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:39

It shouldn't cost $250 for some Ethernet cables and a switch, I bought 30m of Cat6 for like $30.

It shouldn't need that much RAM either unless you're running other stuff on it. My router only has 128MB of RAM and like 80% of that is cached/free in normal operation.

#23 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 June 2013 - 13:55

There are 5 other VMs running on, and the last time I checked it was struggling - so yes, it needs RAM.
Also if I wanted unsightly cable everywhere it wouldn't cost much, but unfortunately my wife has forbid that.

So I need some homeplugs (decided I'd reuse 2 that I already had, replacing them with higher spec ones, will replace a 3rd also with a higher spec one) - £120, more memory - £50, an AP (Cisco probably) - £80,

#24 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 23:49

Very happy to report that today I went 'live' with pfSense being my main router for my network - after some time messing around with PPPoE settings, I finally got it to work!

I am currently using my old router as an Access Point but would like to replace this in the longer term with a proper Access Point.

It seems to be faster and is much more powerful than the router it replaces.  I would encourage anyone who is considering it to go for it.

And thanks to BudMan for all his advice on the topic.

#25 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:24

Good to hear - so using your old router is fine, there really is no difference between it and a device branded as a AP other than it has more features that your just not using.

#26 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:02

Would totally agree with you if my router wasn't such a piece of junk.

Even though it is now only an AP, I have had to reboot it twice already in 24 hours, because it has been misbehaving.

My reasoning for getting a 'business class' AP, is because of this and no other reason.

#27 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:55

Take a look here, When I finally getting around to replacing my aging wrt54g as my AP I think I will go with this

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

You can pick them on up Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ

#28 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 June 2013 - 22:32

Looks really interesting.. any particular model?

#29 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:18

The one I linked too would be the model, unless your looking for the Long Range model?

#30 OP Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 July 2013 - 00:11

My apologies - only clicked the first link. That's the one I liked the look of too, although slightly more expensive than the Cisco model I was looking at.

For the sake of completeness, I drew my network in Visio so you can see what you helped implement.

Attached Images

• Connectivity Diagram - 2013-07-01.png