Amazon India open for business, offering mostly entertainment

amazonin619pxhedimg.jpg

Amazon's burgeoning online empire is growing today with yet another country-specific store: Amazon India. The new site, located at Amazon.in, only offers third-party products due to India's law prohibiting direct sales to Indian citizens by foreign companies over the internet, and only carries a small selection of what Amazon offers in other regions, but there are plans to expand into mobile phones and cameras "in the coming weeks." Currently, the store offers books, DVDs and Blu-rays for sale. Amazon requested India's law prohibiting online sales by foreign entities by changed this past February, and the status of that request is currently unclear. The company previously pushed into India with its Kindle store late last summer, and its angling to do the same with its Android Appstore some time this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/05/amazon-india-opens/

Amazon is a great place to shop. They have nearly everything.

It really depends. The US Amazon is amazing. I used to live in Canada for 4 years and i can tell you that Amazon Canada has nothing......

It really depends. The US Amazon is amazing. I used to live in Canada for 4 years and i can tell you that Amazon Canada has nothing......

I've only had any experience with US Amazon.

Yeah, it does seem to have everything. Have ordered quite a few books and mobile accessories which were not available in India. Not to mention it's the source for my Kindle books. And I think it is efficient, seamless and does its job pretty well.

I wonder if they will buy out flipkart (wasn't it started by ex-Amazon folks?)

from groceries to sex toys to electronics to clothing :laugh: