usa picking mobile gadgets id and password find my iphone

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:22

Can anyone tell me how someone can sell an old iPhone to another individual with this new activation lock feature?

(Associate new iCloud account to an old phone?)

Earlier :

Wipe the phone and sell it.

Now?

Wipe - Activate - Sell?

You could always restore to factory default, which in this case would set it back to an unactivated state. The kill switch would deactivate it plus require the same user to activate it.

the only way to put a true kill switch in is to have an electronic fuse on the CPU which can be blown by a direct connection to the cellular radio on a path that can not be disabled by software... so when the phone's id is flagged as stolen the CPU blows a kill fuse which makes it impossible to even turn the device on again because it blew a fuse at the chip silicon level...

It's a bit overkill if you just want to remotely shut it down if the phone has been temporarily misplaced though.

#17 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:24

I dont get why iphones are so valuable and special. They are made in china like everything else, but are priced twice the amount of money as all of the other phones. Windows phones and android phones give you so much more for the money also. I never understood the rationale for Apple's pricing. If they lowed the price of the iphonex and ipads, there may be a reduction in theft.

#18 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,996 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:34

I dont get why iphones are so valuable and special. They are made in china like everything else, but are priced twice the amount of money as all of the other phones. Windows phones and android phones give you so much more for the money also. I never understood the rationale for Apple's pricing. If they lowed the price of the iphonex and ipads, there may be a reduction in theft.

easy to use, logical fail safe devices, and they are the same price as competing phones...

#19 StephenBratz

StephenBratz

Neowinian

• 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:37

So in other words, they are adding a feature that will call home every X hours (let's use 24 hours as an example), verify with a server that you are not doing something that is against Apple's rules, and if so then you are deactivated?

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:45

Resale value is much, much higher than competing phones. Also popularity, and the fact that there's just one model (iPhone) makes it easy to move after you've stolen it.

So in other words, they are adding a feature that will call home every X hours (let's use 24 hours as an example), verify with a server that you are not doing something that is against Apple's rules, and if so then you are deactivated?

Yes, those are other words. No, they do not accurately describe this feature. :laugh:

#21 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:48

It's a bit overkill if you just want to remotely shut it down if the phone has been temporarily misplaced though.

but in the case of thefts, you don't want them reselling it or using it, so blow the CPU fuses up and disable the thing... then no reflashing it and selling it again

#22 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,419 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:51

No, that's existed for a long time and is how rogue apps are deleted, apple marks them as bad and if detected on phones they get removed.
This is only for when the phone is unlocked from marked as locked and when it's updated/reflashed.

#23 sunsetsnow

sunsetsnow

Neowinian

• 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:52

fuses

lol

#24 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:00

....yea just download and reinstal ... its just like jail breaking but using original software ?

#25 StephenBratz

StephenBratz

Neowinian

• 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:00

No, that's existed for a long time and is how rogue apps are deleted, apple marks them as bad and if detected on phones they get removed.
This is only for when the phone is unlocked from marked as locked and when it's updated/reflashed.

I know there was that feature for apps, but what needs to happen in this case is that either data is pushed or pulled that indicates if the phone needs to be deactivated. If Apple determines that your device is no longer valid, then they can either set data on their server or push data to your phone to make it no longer work.

#26 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,227 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:05

does not sound like it will be very difficult to bypass as you do not have to do the wiping from the phone there are plenty of tools that you can use to wipe an iPhone.

#27 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:13

lol

eh? what's so funny about that?

#28 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,460 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 19:13

what I don't get is the semantics. The article states that while iPhone thefts have risen, crime has lowered. if a crime rises, overall crime can't go down.

#29 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:32

Good for Apple. It's about time something was done about phone theft (and hell it gives the US government more ways to track people's movements :p) <<joke. Don't shoot me>>

#30 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:39

what I don't get is the semantics. The article states that while iPhone thefts have risen, crime has lowered. if a crime rises, overall crime can't go down.

Sure, overall crime is down, theft of iPhones is up. You're less likely to get stabbed, more likely to have your iPhone jacked.