Photo

This, seems kinda like a big deal...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:06

The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time.

http://arstechnica.c...-game-policies/

Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

So basically if my buddy 500 miles/kilometers away is on my share list, we could split the cost of the next great coop game?!?!?!?

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:10

Microsoft is taking a stance on the future of electronic/digital distribution. Like it or not, I believe your above statement is true, and now that the dust is settling a lot of the details will come out and if people care to calm down, read them and educate themselves. They will see the "DRM" isn't totally what it was portrayed to be at the beginning.

#3 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:15

So basically if my buddy 500 miles/kilometers away is on my share list, we could split the cost of the next great coop game?!?!?!?

Only you cant actually play co-op with him. So it's just the same as today, apart from the cost of a stamp.

#4 OP MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:18

Only you cant actually play co-op with him. So it's just the same as today, apart from the cost of a stamp.

I highlighted the Ars quote, because it specifically says "shared copy", not the original owner. (at least what i interpreted). To me that seems to indicate the owner, and the person sharing can at least play at the same time, if not together.

#5 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:20

Not legally. I'm sure behind this is a wall of text which clarifies that "in your home" refers to anyone physically living with you. That's pretty standard for things like Netflix and Spotify, etc.

#6 OP MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:22

Not legally. I'm sure behind this is a wall of text which clarifies that "in your home" refers to anyone physically living with you. That's pretty standard for things like Netflix and Spotify, etc.

Nope, read the articles, they say specifically they dont have to be same household.

#7 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:23

I read it as: Once the original copy is shared, it is classed as a shared (lent out) copy in itself, until the shared status is revoked.

#8 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:25

i really do not see much of a problem with the method in which they are making their game sharing the only problem i see with it is that it is just as cut and dry as just handing someone a disk like it used to be.

#9 OP MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:26

I read it as: Once the original copy is shared, it is classed as a shared (lent out) copy in itself, until the shared status is revoked.

I read it as the original being "flagged" as shared, and you can play the original, and if by chance 1 of your buddies from across town boots up, they also have an option to play the shared copy.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:26

no,they mean,only one instance of the game can be played at any given time. you can each play different games though. you can give him your login to access your games on his end, and you can locally play all the games on your own console without logging in, that's if you don't want to use family sharing way with a friend whos not related to you.

#11 OP MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:28

no,they mean,only one instance of the game can be played at any given time. you can each play different games though. you can give him your login to access your games on his end, and you can locally play all the games on your own console without logging in, that's if you don't want to use family sharing way with a friend whos not related to you.

no where is it described that way. And there is no way to play X1 w/o logging in.

#12 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:30

I highlighted the Ars quote, because it specifically says "shared copy", not the original owner. (at least what i interpreted). To me that seems to indicate the owner, and the person sharing can at least play at the same time, if not together.

Not a chance.

#13 OP MikeInBA

MikeInBA

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:33

Not a chance.

If I had just read the statement, and not parsed words, i tend to agree with you. It certainly sounds like only 1 person at a time, but even at that. The idea that any of those 10 people can play any of my games instantly is pretty cool.

#14 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:34

Nope, read the articles, they say specifically they dont have to be same household.

Err, it absolutely does say that:

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home

Yes, a family member can play a game at a friends house, but your friend can't play your game at your friends house.

For reference on what the difference is, see here: http://yro.slashdot....utm_medium=feed

#15 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:35

no where is it described that way. And there is no way to play X1 w/o logging in.

its directly from the xbox site that you linked

Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

you don't have to be connected to the internet to play.you just need to connect once a day,thats all