search engine google duckduckgo prism

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,370 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 23:18

DuckDuckGo has never given me good results, and if it gets popular you can bet they'll be getting their own fair share of NSL "requests", and like Google/Microsoft/Apple/Yahoo/etc. they'll probably lose if they try fighting them.

#17 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 23:31

DuckDuckGo has never given me good results, and if it gets popular you can bet they'll be getting their own fair share of NSL "requests", and like Google/Microsoft/Apple/Yahoo/etc. they'll probably lose if they try fighting them.

They don't record user data so there would be nothing to give the authorities.

#18 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,370 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:05

Until the government says "You must record their data", and then they have to.

#19 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 19:41

You don't know much about Steve Gibson, do you?

I thought too years ago he was a quack...until I started listening to him on a regular basis. You don't need to listen to all 400+ podcasts to realize he knows his stuff.

I know he wrote spinrite, software that saved my ass as well as continuing to save the ass of many of my friends, all for less than $100.

He knows what hes doing obviously, but hes one of those guys who can't summarize his knowledge into a digestible form. I found it hard to listen past 15 minutes of his 91 minute podcast, I can only imagine how he rambles in the other 400+ of them.

#20 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

• 8,046 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:30

Huge however tho, .com and .net addresses are part of VeriSign which is a US company, and so, they are USA redirected, so your request traffic, IP, times etc bounces off the NSA somewhere when you visit one regardless of where in the world you are.

What are you on about? That's not how things work at all!

#21 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:03

I'm just curious, how do we know DuckDuckGo is really anonymous?

Also, is anyone using Tor web browser? I seen it in the Neowin Privacy Part 1-3 that was on the front page awhile ago.

#22 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 20:16

He knows what hes doing obviously, but hes one of those guys who can't summarize his knowledge into a digestible form. I found it hard to listen past 15 minutes of his 91 minute podcast, I can only imagine how he rambles in the other 400+ of them.

Well, ok, I'll grant you most people have a short attention span, and neither him or Leo pretend this is a podcast for the masses.

Which is really a shame, as typically the people who keep propagating the most outrageous claims on forums such as this one are those who would benefit the most from listening to what he has to say, as he's thorough in his research and won't say anything he can't back up.

#23 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 1,014 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 20:21

What are you on about? That's not how things work at all!

http://www.digitaltr...any-com-domain/

I can't see why if they can seize it they wouldn't be logging all requests to visit either.

#24 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 20:24

Well, ok, I'll grant you most people have a short attention span, and neither him or Leo pretend this is a podcast for the masses.

Which is really a shame, as typically the people who keep propagating the most outrageous claims on forums such as this one are those who would benefit the most from listening to what he has to say, as he's thorough in his research and won't say anything he can't back up.

Why don't you make a summary for the rest of us who suffer from ADD, or point out at what time he actually talks about PRISM.

#25 JaytheletterJ

JaytheletterJ

Neowinian

• 93 posts

They don't record user data so there would be nothing to give the authorities.

see Columbia Pictures v Bunnell, companies can be ordered to begin recording data....https://www.eff.org/...tries-v-bunnell

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

I've been trying it out for the last few days and I have to say I'm a little impressed. Their search results have improved since I last used it.

#27 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 16:44

Why don't you make a summary for the rest of us who suffer from ADD, or point out at what time he actually talks about PRISM.

Not sure what the incentive is for me to spoon-feed people who can't be bothered.

#28 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,186 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:09

Not sure what the incentive is for me to spoon-feed people who can't be bothered.

Oh well, I'm sure they get to the point after more than an hour of ramblings and advertisements.

#29 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 16:40

Oh well, I'm sure they get to the point after more than an hour of ramblings and advertisements.

I guess you'll just never know.  And I'm ok with that.