• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:11

If you did not like Warner Music Group because of the infamous Youtube WMG copyright claim notice, you'll really hate them now! Warner Music Group is claiming to own the rights to the Happy Birthday song. Any unauthorized use of the song, like in a large public event, could result in a fine of $150,000. A NY company that is making a documentary about the song has filed a class action lawsuit to make the song free to sing.

Heres the link to the full Story:
http://www.forbes.co...hday-copyright/

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,919 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:13

What greed.

When did the 2 sisters sell it ?

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 23:21

How is this new to anyone???

#4 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,939 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:52

The bad PR generated by this will cost WBM far more in the long run then any licensing fees they might get...

#5 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,955 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:00

so now not only you have to pay for an anniversary but the soundtrack of it as well? :rofl:

#6 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:48

Good luck getting anyone to pay for the license.

#7 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:01

I don't care more than they are being crazy crackpots again. Frankly, it's a shyte song to being with. A birthday is not happy, not so by long, not at all. It's a day when you're oficially recognized as being one year older. Lived another year on this blue-green rotting ball of compost, with so much left to do and, with certainty, increasingly less time left for it.

So how come getting older equals happy? Is it a mantra, feeding a delusion you'll be waking up from the next day? To hell with it then! I'd rather sing 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall... if I was a drinker. That's a way more merry tune and also counts the other way round.

Edit, to reply to the post below: the dark side, consumed me it has. Way back I have not. Too late for me it is, hrrmmph.
(this answer doesn't warrant its own post)

#8 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:10

I don't care more than they are being crazy crackpots again. Frankly, it's a shyte song to being with. A birthday is not happy, not so by long, not at all. It's a day when you're oficially recognized as being one year older. Lived another year on this blue-green rotting ball of compost, with so much left to do and, with certainty, increasingly less time left for it.

So how come getting older equals happy? Is it a mantra, feeding a delusion you'll be waking up from the next day? To hell with it then! I'd rather sing 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall... if I was a drinker. That's a way more merry tune and also counts the other way round.

How commodities change life point of view isn't? This song is quite old, back in the day where actually getting older was considered something really great, for it you wouldn't see too much "older" people survive the day. Talk about selfishness! (And this comes from a man that has no girlfriend nor looks and yet still looks love as an ideal, plus glad to be complete with all my limbs on my body just to be able to play games on my pc/future ps4 or just walking around with music on my walkman through the city)

#9 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,939 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:31

You grumpy old goose, you! :p

#10 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 10,950 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:37

Good luck getting anyone to pay for the license.

You don't have to in private but anyone wanting to use it in movies or any other media has had to for years. They've been making quite a bit of money off of it.

#11 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,902 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 15:58

The Summy Company, working with the authors, copywrited it in 1935, then Warner bought them out and inherited all their intellectual properties. The copywrite expires in 2030. No different than any other copywrited music, so get over it.

#12 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,919 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:22

No one is going to stop singing Happy Birthday, at private family gatherings.

The crap would hit the fan, for Warner Bros. to sue.

#13 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:25

Let them sue. They'll lose more money in the end than they'll ever from any lawsuits.

#14 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,917 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:24

How did they get the rights to this, what is the history of "Happy Birthday" song?

#15 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• 1,950 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:29

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear <.name inserted here>, happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuuu!

There, I said it. Sue my ass.

/s