drm m$ 1996 xbox !!!!!!!!111 xbox one game sharing

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:52

I've been reading a lot of this opinion on the DRM issue,and what I find kind of odd is why nobody mentions why its there in the first place. Its like its embedded in their bran that DRM automaticalliy equals bad. When they open their eyes and smell the coffee, this is actually a killer feature.

Can nobody honestly picture how this is going to play out? This is marketing material on a silver platter to Microsoft. The game sharing feature is going to be marketed like hell. I can buy 2 games at $60 a pop,and if 4 of my buddies do the same, with only a $120 investment, we can each have access to a games library worth $600. I always meet people on xbox live. Imagine how many games i'll have access to without much investment. The more people you know,the bigger selection of games you'll have,granted theres a 10 family/friends list limit. For the price of only a few games,I can have access to dozens of games. With the price of games, I don't think anyone will care one bit that they'll have to have their console sync licenses every 24 hours. Imagine if this proves to be massively successful. Can the other guys even face going ahead and doing the same thing? How ridiculous would that be?

Some people may ask,wouldn't this kill game sales? No. The whole point of having xbox always needing an internet connection is for you to always use that internet connection,and use the online functions such as multiplayer.  They may lose sales for single player games,but they will make it up with multiplayer. People who wouldn't normally play multiplayer games can start sampling some of it with shared games,and they may become addicted.

#2 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:57

#3 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:00

Yeah, this is the point of the DRM that a lot of people are missing (besides having instant switching to all games via voice). 

#4 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:04

MS haven't detailed how this will work though. What we know is only one person can access a single game at the same time. But what has not been answered is can all 10 friends play different games from your library at the same time? Or once one is accessing a game, no one else can?

#5 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:11

So this is all to benefit the consumer? It has nothing to do with MS making it easier for publishers to restrict content and restrict used game sales?

I don't think you're just going to be able to pool all of your content together with friends have help yourself to content whenever and where ever you like. How would that not negatively affect sales if large groups would only buy 1 copy and share it around? It would be worse than sharing a physical copy around.

#6 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:15

Bible should've DRM'ed too

#7 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:16

All they had to do is bypass the check when the disc is in the drive, or at least implement a decent "working offline" mode, and nobody would give a giant F about the consoles DRM features.

I'll be interested to see if people start abusing the game sharing features on a mass level, because if they do, publishers aren't going to want to put their games out on it.

#8 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:26

So this is all to benefit the consumer? It has nothing to do with MS making it easier for publishers to restrict content and restrict used game sales?

I don't think you're just going to be able to pool all of your content together with friends have help yourself to content whenever and where ever you like. How would that not negatively affect sales if large groups would only buy 1 copy and share it around? It would be worse than sharing a physical copy around.

you're able to share physical copies today,are you not? only one person can play it at any given time. how is this any different? its just digital,instead of a physical copy. that's the whole benefit of digital,and that's the benefit of this drm.

and for people saying people can abuse it,again it isn't different than sharing games today.

#9 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:30

DRM is restrictive. My thinking would be, this is to force more people to buy games first hand. This will kill gamestop unless they go to straight first-hand sales.

DRM is NEVER pro consumer.

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:32

The newest batch of info is that you and one other friend can be playing the same game together.   Now if the other 9 can play a different game each or if it's just one friend at a time depends because they haven't said officially yet.   If it's just you and one other friend and the other 9 have to wait their turn then it's no different than it is today with a disc except without the disc needing to change hands.   If it's more open and the other friends can play other games just not the same game together then that's a great bonus in the end.

Would it be abused?  Depends on how it works, if it's really open and you plus 10 friends are all playing 10 different games at the same time then sure, it could be that way.  If it's you and one other and the other 9 have to wait then it's not abusive tbh.

Either way it's a great option to have IMO.   Digitally lending games is something no one has done yet iirc,

#11 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:33

I would say its the killing feature.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:35

DRM is restrictive. My thinking would be, this is to force more people to buy games first hand. This will kill gamestop unless they go to straight first-hand sales.

DRM is NEVER pro consumer.

That depends on what it offers as the trade-off,  Netflix is DRMd but I'd say the benefit outweighs the restriction.   Lots of music streaming services are DRMd, again, tradeoffs are made.   Smartphones?  DRMd.   PC games, oh yes, unless you've found some way to legally lend and resell your PC games then please do share with us how, I'd really like to know.

We've been living with DRM for so long yet now people take note?   Honestly it's kind of funny.

#13 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:35

you're able to share physical copies today,are you not? only one person can play it at any given time. how is this any different? its just digital,instead of a physical copy. that's the whole benefit of digital,and that's the benefit of this drm.

and for people saying people can abuse it,again it isn't different than sharing games today.

There is a degree of limitation on physical media because I can only share it with someone I can physically hand the game to and only one of us can use it.

In your scenario, a group of Neowinians could buy 1 game each, have each other on the friends list for the 30+ days and then enjoy a huge library for the measly sum of $60. What publisher in their right mind would want to jump on board with such a system? 

I don't think this game sharing system is going to be anywhere near as generous as your OP suggested. There are going to be restrictions. You might be only able to share certain games from certain publishers (ex. you can share Ubisoft titles for other titles). You might have to have a minimum amount of games on your system from that publisher to be able to share games from that publisher (ex. you have to own 3 Ubisoft titles to be able to share new Ubisoft titles). Geoblocking, not being able to share with international friends, is something that will almost certainly exist. Or 100 other restrictions I can't even think of. DRM gives them the power to implement any system they want and make it as restrictive as they see fit.

#14 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:42

There is a degree of limitation on physical media because I can only share it with someone I can physically hand the game to and only one of us can use it.

In your scenario, a group of Neowinians could buy 1 game each, have each other on the friends list for the 30+ days and then enjoy a huge library for the measly sum of $60. What publisher in their right mind would want to jump on board with such a system? 

I don't think this game sharing system is going to be anywhere near as generous as your OP suggested. There are going to be restrictions. You might be only able to share certain games from certain publishers (ex. you can share Ubisoft titles for other titles). You might have to have a minimum amount of games on your system from that publisher to be able to share games from that publisher (ex. you have to own 3 Ubisoft titles to be able to share new Ubisoft titles). Geoblocking, not being able to share with international friends, is something that will almost certainly exist. Or 100 other restrictions I can't even think of. DRM gives them the power to implement any system they want and make it as restrictive as they see fit.

Agreed. And this is why I don't agree with it.

Take a look at this for example:

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Publishers will have the power to restrict you from giving your disc-based game to a friend. Wouldn't you be frustrated if you can't lend a game that you don't play anymore to a good friend? "Sorry man, you can't play it on your Xbox One because Activision won't allow it."

#15 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:44

Digitally lending games is something no one has done yet iirc,

Its not digital lending 'games', its digitaly lending the "License"