drm m$ 1996 xbox !!!!!!!!111 xbox one game sharing

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#91 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 00:33

Whooooooooosh....

At least you heard it going over your head, so there is hope you'll understand someday.

#92 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:25

You're still purchasing a right to use license.

yes, since its a "Purchase", it should fall into First hand Sales doctrine,

Which you should able to do anything about the "License":

- Renting it to somebody else (that somebody else have temporary rights to use the license while you're not, at specified duration)

- Gifting/Trade it to somebody else (you gave your rights to use the license to somebody else, with or without any compensation from that somebody else)

Those actions that guaranteed by 1st Hand Sales Doctrine, and was already possible when the license was tied to physical media,

and it should be possible even the license was tied to your account, after all it just matter of modifying digital data in some distant clouds.

So, what should you do?

I would suggest to contact lawyers that uphold the 1st hand sales doctrine,

Find as many people who agree with this, to raise the funds that will be used for passing required legislation about this "License",

and if this was approved by courts it will have effect to nullify the artificial limitation that imposed by publisher toward this "License".

From purchasing perspective, 'Software/Game license' are considered as 'virtual goods'.

#93 compl3x

compl3x

One day until retirement

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:08

The family sharing may not be for everyone but until we know the details of its limitations you cant just write it off as a feature. 

Yeah, and you can't talk about it has being the best feature in the history of consoles, either.

Those buying PS4 should be worried that Sony might cease to exist in an year's time from now given their poor financial state of recent. Whoever ends up buying their asset will close down PS4 and PSN for good.

No warranty support, no PSN. Nothing.

Think. About. it.

Yes, it sounds stupid, doesn't it? So does you for thinking that Microsoft/Xbox will just disappear down the line.

FUD!!!! FUD!!!! FUD!!!!! FUD!!!!! FUD!!!!! 

#94 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:41

I'll just put this right here.

fSpZ0M7.png

And this is all within the Xbox 360 lifetime, these titles are gone from the servers, what are they? games? DLC? pictures? themes? who knows

My download history has 30+ of these in there, MS has a history on dropping support and killing things completely in the long term, so we should

for no reason think Xbox One and games will be any different.

Another issue I am having is with their regional restrictions, I recently moved from North America to New Zealand, and while it allowed me to

queue/purchase games from Games on Demand on XBL, it wouldn't allow me to download them, it would get to 70-90% and fail, I had to change

my account region to NZ, which in itself isn't a problem, but some of my purchased GoD I can't even download at all now, due to regional restrictions

Some are even silly, the same games are available here, and on GoD, it just wont download till I purchase again, which it wont allow me to do because

I already purchased it.

Without knowing what those are then it's hard to say, but how much of that is due to a 3rd party developer dropping support for something?   Say some of those are games,  why would it be MS pulling the content off the servers and not the people who made it in the first place?   It's like with any digital store, you pay to put stuff on there, if you stop paying then they have no reason to keep it up, it'll be removed.  

That's still a bit different though, I'm talking about this fear that the game authentication servers will go down and you can't play games you already have installed on your system either digitally or via a disc you own.  I just don't see why that would ever be the case?

As for the region issue, it's a pain, yet it's also one that's shared with, i'd say every, digital store out there.  Some content can't be accessed if you change regions, I believe this applies to steam as well on the PC because I remember friends who travel often saying they can't access their stuff until they set their region back to the one it was that matches with their steam account etc.   It's a pain but we're looking at the minority, still, would be nice to not have to worry about that after you've already bought something.

#95 slapfacemcdougal

slapfacemcdougal

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:22

You know that xbox fans have gone into damage control when "DRM" is their killer feature XD

#96 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:51

You know that xbox fans have gone into damage control when "DRM" is their killer feature XD

Could say the same about PS4 fans for continuing to spear fud and rumors. Nobody is doing damage control. Some people just don't get stuck up on DRM.

#97 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:06

And if they did, those games will work offline, now wont they.

Think. About. It.

Oh dear. You really missed the point didn't you?

#98 +Graimer

Graimer

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:34

And if they did, those games will work offline, now wont they.

Think. About. It.

Oh ffs. So would the Xbox One games! They haven't said that it won't, so why would everyone start worrying about a possibility that's 0.001% likely to happend.

What Major Nelson have said however, is that EVEN when your account is banned, you'll have access to your games. Xbox Live will STILL work with 360 as it will coexist with Xbox One(more long-term then the original xbox which had a completely different live-system). So the servers aren't going away, and IF they do in .... 20 years, the games will be so old that they would just unlock the system with an update before closing them down so you could play offline.

If they aren't going to take away your games when your Xbox Live account gets banned, they're not doing it IF they ever give up on Xbox and turn off the servers. Simply disabling the servers because a new console is out will not happend because they will get so bad PR and sued up their a** and lose future customers if they do. What you should really worry about is what happends if someone suddenly disables Internet so you can't get that future offline-update or complain on the forums.. /s

I somewhat disagree and agree, I was completely an MS and xbox fan, 100%, I'm just not blindly a fan, but recent design/policies the company has put forth(ad filled dashboard on a paid gold sub, Windows 8 Modern UI, etc) now Xbox One have changed my mind and I wont be purchasing these products, my main beef is with the 24h check-in(basically no offline), no offline to me means this product will have a limited product lifetime, at some point they will drop support MS always do, and to a lesser degree but still an issue for me is having to have the Kinect connected and always listening for Xbox On.

So on that note, if MS doesn't reverse this at some point, I will never be getting an Xbox One, and in turn none of the games or services they make money on

I guess I'll save for that house I always wanted to own.

You know you can turn that off, right? They've confirmed that.

#99 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:54

So by saying that sharing games with friends is a great feature I am talking about it as "being the best feature in the history of consoles"

Look I think everyone gets its - you, darkfiber, ab, and a few others are in love with your sony consoles, nothing that MS is going to do will be good enough (until sony does it).  yogurt, bajiravi, spencer, and a few others love the 360 and eventually the xbox one. 

what exactly does bashing a feature you know nothing about do for you?  does it make you feel better?  your life more whole?  I really do wish I understood the mentality of some of you.  its a god damn gaming console, built to make companies money and to provide entertainment to the consumer.  as long as your money is going to the console that is going to provide the most amount of entertainment why do you even give a ****.  I know this is a forum and blah blah blah but I would just love to know what makes a f-boy tick.. I know come this fall/winter I will have an xbox and ps4 connected to my receiver ready to play any console exclusives.  Its one thing to regret a purchase AFTER the fact (... my wii u for example)... but to run your mouth against the PS4/Xbox one before you even held a god damn controller in your hand it insane.

rant over.

#100 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:59

So by saying that sharing games with friends is a great feature I am talking about it as "being the best feature in the history of consoles"

Look I think everyone gets its - you, darkfiber, ab, and a few others are in love with your sony consoles, nothing that MS is going to do will be good enough (until sony does it).  yogurt, bajiravi, spencer, and a few others love the 360 and eventually the xbox one. 

what exactly does bashing a feature you know nothing about do for you?  does it make you feel better?  your life more whole?  I really do wish I understood the mentality of some of you.  its a god damn gaming console, built to make companies money and to provide entertainment to the consumer.  as long as your money is going to the console that is going to provide the most amount of entertainment why do you even give a ****.  I know this is a forum and blah blah blah but I would just love to know what makes a f-boy tick.. I know come this fall/winter I will have an xbox and ps4 connected to my receiver ready to play any console exclusives.  Its one thing to regret a purchase AFTER the fact (... my wii u for example)... but to run your mouth against the PS4/Xbox one before you even held a god damn controller in your hand it insane.

rant over.

I think you might find Darkfiber is a huge MS fan. And FTR, if Sony done DRM like this, it would not be good for me.

Also we do know a little, two people can play the SP portion of a game at once, only one person can play the MP of a game at a time.

#101 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 14:09

Instead of having it check every day, you could have it check anytime a new game is introduced or new content is installed. 

The problem with DRM isn't DRM itself, it's how it's implemented, which is almost always done incorrectly.

#102 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:06

I think you might find Darkfiber is a huge MS fan. And FTR, if Sony done DRM like this, it would not be good for me.

Also we do know a little, two people can play the SP portion of a game at once, only one person can play the MP of a game at a time.

So being able to share a game (even if it is sp only) can still be considered a bad thing?  The way people have drawn lines in the sand some people would find a way to complain about the "other" console if it spit out money.  Im not a fan of the used game drm bs but at the same time I dont trade my games in. 

#103 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:14

Uhm, that is how it has been portrayed. I believe that, after the interviews that has been shown and the wording of the license that yes, you will have 9 other "family" members that can share games in their library. I'm sure it will be a 1 at a time thing but the benefit is still there.

I know that is how it has been portrayed, but for starters, that portrayal of their "official" stance on things has been all over the place at best.

People can think this feature is going to be 10 people sharing 1 gaming license, but I say no way in hell that winds up being the case. None.

Maybe, just maybe, they will do it with XBLA type games, but I even doubt that. Again, it would be the worst business model in the history of consoles and it totally defeats and contradicts all of the other measures they are introducing.

Maybe those 10 people will have timed access to a game? Like an hour demo so to speak. Sure, I could see that being a possibility. But 10 people sharing the same 1 game will never, ever happen. And if by some remote chance it does, it would be terminated shortly thereafter. 

And I have the One preordered, I am getting it even if I am not crazy about some of the things they are doing, but I am also a realist. 

#104 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:20

I know that is how it has been portrayed, but for starters, that portrayal of their "official" stance on things has been all over the place at best.

People can think this feature is going to be 10 people sharing 1 gaming license, but I say no way in hell that winds up being the case. None.

Maybe, just maybe, they will do it with XBLA type games, but I even doubt that. Again, it would be the worst business model in the history of consoles and it totally defeats and contradicts all of the other measures they are introducing.

Maybe those 10 people will have timed access to a game? Like an hour demo so to speak. Sure, I could see that being a possibility. But 10 people sharing the same 1 game will never, ever happen. And if by some remote chance it does, it would be terminated shortly thereafter. 

And I have the One preordered, I am getting it even if I am not crazy about some of the things they are doing, but I am also a realist. 

They've officially confirmed it numerous times and stood up on an E3 stage and said it. Why do you doubt it now?

#105 OP vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 19 June 2013 - 17:29

I love that the people who were hell bent on convincing us that this DRM was evil,and that m$ is treating us like criminals,  are now in denial and disbelief over this whole feature. Its ok, I expect some of you to eventually snap out of it. I mean,who wouldn't enjoy paying a fraction of the cost of the newest and latest games to play them,no matter how anti-m$ you are. Are you seriously telling me you would pay loads more to show your loyalty to a company whos been anything but loyal to their customers in the past? The tides are now turning. Hell im now seeing the funniest stuff. Some commenters on kotaku are now accusing them of being on the Microsoft payroll. Out of all sites.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!