valve game sharing steam

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,809 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 16:59

Steam is the poster child for the digital content model, so its not shocking to see them exploring these options. Digital content delivery is only going to continue to grow.

It also is interesting to consider the wider market. MS is taking a beating over its policies, but its interesting to see how they seem to be leading the way to improve the current digital content model that Steam pioneered.

If we step back for a moment and look at just the digital sales side of the X1, we see a program that has advantages over Steam. In fact, the X1 will offer you more control over the content you buy then Steam, while still offering all the benefits of a digital purchase. The 24hr check is the only difference I see, so if MS can phase that out, they will have an all around robust and effective digital content platform that easily competes with Steam.

If MS is willing to fix its policies in relation to content bought on discs and a proper offline mode like Steam, then we can actually start looking at the features and not worrying about drm.

In a weird way, if MS is successful, especially on the digital content side, it could force Steam to evaluate options to give us more control over digital content as well to compete. So I hope MS fixes the issues that have taken the focus away from gaming and are successful because of it, leading to more competition in the digital space.

#17 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,413 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:01

You understand that this DRM has been implemented so the cost of console games can go down, right?

Bull ######ing ######.

By what amount do you imagine their profits will increase, by implementing this DRM?

Now how much do you think the the cost of a game will decrease by?

If they are even £5 less, I will jizz in my own eye and post it on youtube.

#18 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,947 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:12

I don't understand why this is such a complex issue. If there's a licensing system, then the solution to me pretty simple -- only one person per license can play at the same time. That would mean if you share your license with your friends, you and your friends can't play at the same time and whenever they'd be playing the game at exclusion of you playing, they're "borrowing" it. If both of you want to play at the same time, then you have to buy separate licenses.

That seems simple enough, doesn't it? Well, why can't the solution be that simple.

#19 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,209 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:18

torrentthief, on 19 Jun 2013 - 11:18, said:

except that you probably don't have to give them your username and password to play it (which may stop you from playing other games on your own console. Also you don't have to go to your friend's house to physically give them the game. So not like steam at all then really.

Thanks for establishing that you know absolutely nothing about Xbox One :) 

If they are even £5 less, I will jizz in my own eye and post it on youtube.

I've got it marked on my calendar a year from today to make sure this video is on Youtube :) 

By the way, Steam games at launch are always the same cost as retail, it's the steam sales a year later that make the difference. Just so we're comparing 1:1. 

#20 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,448 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:22

I don't understand why this is such a complex issue. If there's a licensing system, then the solution to me pretty simple -- only one person per license can play at the same time. That would mean if you share your license with your friends, you and your friends can't play at the same time and whenever they'd be playing the game at exclusion of you playing, they're "borrowing" it. If both of you want to play at the same time, then you have to buy separate licenses.

That seems simple enough, doesn't it? Well, why can't the solution be that simple.

The problem with that is that most games only take between 8 and 20 hours to complete, meaning that they can be completed in a matter of days. If you can then simply lend the game to a friend without any additional money going to the publisher then it will inevitably hurt sales, meaning that prices will go up or budgets will have to be slashed. It's very different to physical media, as in that there is an implicit trust and a necessity for physical proximity - with digital lending the risk is eliminated and the system is opened up to entire regions / the entire planet. It also negates the impact of sales, as why bother picking up a game for 50% off three months after release when you can play it for free a week after release?

Lending has the potential to have a positive impact upon the gaming industry but it has to be implemented carefully. With Microsoft paving the way with the X1 Valve is now in a better position to negotiate with publishers for game lending.

#21 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,947 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:37

The problem with that is that most games only take between 8 and 20 hours to complete, meaning that they can be completed in a matter of days. If you can then simply lend the game to a friend without any additional money going to the publisher then it will inevitably hurt sales, meaning that prices will go up or budgets will have to be slashed. It's very different to physical media, as in that there is an implicit trust and a necessity for physical proximity - with digital lending the risk is eliminated and the system is opened up to entire regions / the entire planet. It also negates the impact of sales, as why bother picking up a game for 50% off three months after release when you can play it for free a week after release?

Lending has the potential to have a positive impact upon the gaming industry but it has to be implemented carefully. With Microsoft paving the way with the X1 Valve is now in a better position to negotiate with publishers for game lending.

It comes down to the fact that you don't really own your licenses, I guess.

Can you already do what I suggested, btw, by sharing Steam accounts?

#22 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,420 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:40

This may also be a setup to comply with EU law about license transfer, and to give publishers option in the United States.

#23 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 18:57

This may also be a setup to comply with EU law about license transfer, and to give publishers option in the United States.

That would be transferral though, this is lending.

#24 jren207

jren207

Neowinian

• 377 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:14

Perhaps if someone wants to borrow a game off another person, then there could be a borrowing charge?

That way, the publishers would still get some money, and the borrower wouldn't have to pay as much.

I know borrowing usually means using something for free then giving it back, but as sharing digital content could be abused and lower profits for publishers, then paying say 10-25% of a full priced game could be a happy-compromise?

#25 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,911 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:27

So, just like Xbox One!  But this will be innovative and the savior of the gaming industry. 

Really?  I didn't know it was released, yet.  Where can I get one?

#26 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

• 326 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:33

It's probably sharing with other users on the computer.

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,448 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 June 2013 - 19:41

Can you already do what I suggested, btw, by sharing Steam accounts?

Sharing accounts is a) risky, and b) against the EULA, meaning you risk having your account terminated. So while it's technically possible it's not a legitimate alternative to lending discs or the system proposed by Microsoft and rumoured here. And again, if the developer doesn't receive money from people playing their game then it undermines the viability of the market.

#28 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,413 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 June 2013 - 23:52

I've got it marked on my calendar a year from today to make sure this video is on Youtube :)

I guess you can clear that date now, looks like my eye will remain jizz free for a few more years :p

#29 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,209 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 19:55

I guess you can clear that date now, looks like my eye will remain jizz free for a few more years :p

So disappointed :( 

;)