rumour xbox one drm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
366 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:19

Ars Technica is reporting on the rumour as well.

#17 Coolicer

Coolicer

Comrad General

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Black

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:23

The solution would be simple, although since I'm not aware of the software architecture of the 'DRM' used in Xbox One I can't say if it is easy to implement,

but the concept is.

The whole reason why there is a 24-hour checkin is to update your local licenses validity and update your licenses with your account on the Xbox Live Servers.

This is needed for the Xbox One to know which games you are still allowed to play, you might have sold a licence/game but because the Xbox One is now diskless

it would be still be able to play that sold/traded game. There were a few more cases I had thought up that would really need the checkin.

Basically in my mind I came to the conclusion that Xbox One has exactly the same DRM as Steam, now many instantly go in arms over this statement.

But it is very similar except for the daily checkin. Had Microsoft NOT allowed the transfer of licenses and the sharing of games, it would have been exactly as Steam,

which doesn't mean that consumers would gladly accept it. This is Microsoft not Lord Gaben's Valve, but I digress.

So what would be the solution you might ask? Offline mode, yes just like Steam has it. Basically it tells the console to make a connection with the Xbox Live servers,

tell them that your account AND Xbox One are going into offline mode (Autistic mode if you will, for those who have watched/read 'Ghost in the Shell'). This way the

Xbox Live account may not be retrieved online nor is it allowed to transfer licenses until the Xbox One and the account are flagged as online again and thus are

syncing their licenses.

Why am I writing all of this here? Because so far I hadn't found a place to write this down for atleast somebody to read and hopefully agree. But what I mean to tell here

is that if Microsoft were to "backtrack on DRM" I sincerely hope it would be by adding this functionality, and maybe relaxing the reselling of the game restrictions, the

developers fee is great keep that just not the 30 days+ friends and only one-time transfer per license. Because I really quite like the idea of no longer taking whole stacks

of Xbox cases or discs to a friend and sharing my games with my friends.

#18 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:27

It appears there is a real policy change coming

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

#19 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:27

Apparently it might be real...the official Xbox blog added this to the Xbox One's requirements section. (from NeoGaf)

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest.

#20 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:28

It's real.  It's been posted on xbox.com but that site just blew up.

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:28

On Xbox.com it appears that it is potentially going to be confirmed...

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

#22 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:29

Ah, good. I was hoping they'd come around.

Maybe I will end up buying one after all :)

#23 Gabureiru

Gabureiru

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:35

If it is, I'm back on board on buying the XboxOne

#24 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:36

I think that they just broke the internet.

#25 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:36

:rofl:

1805oj1u.png

#26 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:40

Hmmm... interesting indeed, they had to eat their own arrogance for once. Bravo for competition.

#27 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:44

Now if they'd go back and recompile all the XBLA titles to work on the One, I might consider getting one. I can annoyingly accept the lack of backwards compatibility for my physical disc collection, but the refusal to support and forced obsolescence of my XBLA digital purchases is one of the chief reasons I'm against a digital-only ecosystem. Yes, I knew going in that they may not be supported forever, but damn, one generation after the 360? Thats plain insulting! There are many other titles I'd like to buy off XBL, but no way I'm sinking more money into them at this point.

#28 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:48

Back up:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today
There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

#29 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:49

Someone neogaf got the official xbox blog to load. Here is what they posted...

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future. 

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. 

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

•An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

•Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions. 

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray. 

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

#30 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 19 June 2013 - 20:50

think they will get rid of the 24hr checkin.