• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:14

GO forth and tell thine flocks to pack cinemas for the latest Superman blockbuster, Man of Steel.

That’s the essence of an aggressive marketing campaign by Warner Bros to get faithful bums on seats for their newest offering.

According to this report, it has set up a special ministry resource site touting a nine-page pamphlet entitled Jesus – the Original Superhero, intended to help pastors base sermons in which parallels can be drawn between the fictional antics of Jesus and those of the Man from Krypton, played by the hunky Henry Cavill .

The movie studio even asked a theologian – Pepperdine University professor Craig Detweiler  – to provide the sermon notes for pastors. The notes pose the question:

How might the story of Superman awaken our passion for the greatest hero who ever lived and died and rose again?

The spiritual themes in Man of Steel are abundant, Detweiler said, and his notes enable Christians to thoughtfully engage with pop culture instead of shunning it:

All too often, religious communities have been defined by what they’re against. With a movie like Man of Steel, this is a chance to celebrate a movie that affirms faith, sacrifice and service.

Detweiler writes in the sermon notes:

What Jesus and Superman both give us, through their `hero’ actions but also their `human’ actions – is hope.

Continue Reading

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,151 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:04

This is not the first, nor the last film to do this.

And to be perfectly frank, the link between superheros and deities is painfully obvious.  Particularly with Superman/Jesus.  Many studies have been written on it.

I would suggest the resources site exists to steer sermons not into preaching wrongful ideas about the film.

#3 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,580 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:12

Can we have a remake of the orignal superman where he only saves his followers and sends everyone who dosnt worship him to hell ?

#4 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:27

The Jesus are being DRMed by Hollywood

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:13

That seems a bit silly, to me anyway. 

#6 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:37

I guess cynically using Jesus to make a profit really doesn't bother Christians all that much.

#7 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,364 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:44

I guess cynically using Jesus to make a profit really doesn't bother Christians all that much.

They do it every Sunday when they pass the basket.  ;)

#8 Ian W

Ian W

NT 6.0.6000.16386.061101-2205

• 1,377 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:49

Can we have a remake of the orignal superman where he only saves his followers and sends everyone who dosnt worship him to hell ?

That's not quite correct. According to the Bible, the punishment for sin (transgression of the Law) is death. Christ died to save the transgressors, with the sacrifice becoming effective through the faith which appropriates it.

#9 Nomad_

Nomad_

Neowinian

• 565 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:09

Man of Steel was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, over 2 hours of mindless violence.

#10 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,580 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:41

That's not quite correct. According to the Bible, the punishment for sin (transgression of the Law) is death. Christ died to save the transgressors, with the sacrifice becoming effective through the faith which appropriates it.

Right so in other words he only saves his followers and sends everyone who doesn't worship him to hell, thanks.

#11 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,849 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:25

way to put everything in the same basket. :/

#12 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

• 1,287 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39

What are the similarities between Superman and Jesus? Both are fictional, man made, and would die with humanity if tomorrow the human species disappeared from the face of Earth.

#13 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,403 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:02

way to put everything in the same basket. :/

I don't see too many Christians boycotting Warner for doing this, do you?

#14 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,717 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:08

Title isn't right.  They aren't relating Jesus to Superman specifically, but as nik notes..that superheroes are modern deities of sorts. (And better ones) So its a backhanded 'me too' from the evangelicals.

Superman > Jesus

#15 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,876 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:18

I'd rather worship Superman :p