• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:22

So with 8.1 we all know Microsoft added the listing of folders in "This PC" along with the usual drive listings, etc. My question is: How do you add to that list? 

I may just be stupid or there may not be any obvious way, certainly hope there is though. :p

#2 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:52

So with 8.1 we all know Microsoft added the listing of folders in "This PC" along with the usual drive listings, etc. My question is: How do you add to that list? 

I may just be stupid or there may not be any obvious way, certainly hope there is though. :p

I haven't looked because I don't have the preview installed yet but those should just be the default user folders we've always had in Windows.  If so then you would just have to go to the default user directory and create a new folder there.

The directory should be C:/Users/name/

Head there and make a folder and see if explorer picks it up after that.

#3 OP Grinch

Grinch

Developer

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:59

I haven't looked because I don't have the preview installed yet but those should just be the default user folders we've always had in Windows.  If so then you would just have to go to the default user directory and create a new folder there.

The directory should be C:/Users/name/

Head there and make a folder and see if explorer picks it up after that.

That was my initial thought but at the same time there are many more folders in C:/Users/<name> than what Explorer picks up for "This PC" which leads me to believe it must be defined somewhere.

Edit: Looks like the Music folder for "This PC" is defined in the following registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{E63D247B-583E-43d6-ABA9-18F1B6DA17C0}

Though I haven't been able to figure out how one would link in a custom one.

#4 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:34

Just add the CLSID to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace.

#5 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:56

I really hate what they did there.  How do you hide the folders?  I don't mind as much in the main view, but on the left, messy and redundant.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:06

I really hate what they did there.  How do you hide the folders?  I don't mind as much in the main view, but on the left, messy and redundant.

Uhh, isn't the little triangle/arrow thing still there to click on to expand and contract the different trees? 

#7 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:03

Uhh, isn't the little triangle/arrow thing still there to click on to expand and contract the different trees? 

Yes but I'd prefer if it only showed the drives.  Nor do I need Desktop/Downloads listed twice etc. Even if they are depreciating Libraries, the folders should have been put in their stead on the left side and not conjoined with ThisPC.  There is almost no reason to keep the left pane if they are going with this approach.

#8 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:30

Yes but I'd prefer if it only showed the drives.  Nor do I need Desktop/Downloads listed twice etc. Even if they are depreciating Libraries, the folders should have been put in their stead on the left side and not conjoined with ThisPC.  There is almost no reason to keep the left pane if they are going with this approach.

What if you keep the This PC section collapsed and just add your hard drives to the top Favorites section?   You can drag the drives up and let it create the fav shortcut in that list.   It seems to be the best way to do it now.

#9 OP Grinch

Grinch

Developer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:19

Just add the CLSID to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace.

That's great but don't only system folders have CLSIDs? Never really messed with this side of stuff. I just want a custom folder I made in C:/Users/<name>/ to show there. :p

#10 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:17

ROFL!!!

General user who just got a new Win8 laptop:  "I want to add a folder to This PC for quick access to my *blah blah blah* files"

Solution:  "Just add the CLSID to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace."

Too funny.

#11 OP Grinch

Grinch

Developer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:28

ROFL!!!

General user who just got a new Win8 laptop:  "I want to add a folder to This PC for quick access to my *blah blah blah* files"

Solution:  "Just add the CLSID to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace."

Too funny.

Who bought a new laptop now? :|

#12 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:30

Who bought a new laptop now? :|

Nobody did.  I'm just pointing out the that "solution" given in this case is only suitable for power users.  Normal users who wanted to add a folder into the This PC view would be totally scrooged.

#13 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:44

I had to unhide my libraries just in order to get all my files from different locations to show up in the Metro apps. :(

Who is the person who told Microsoft libraries are confusing? I want to know, so I can have a word with them.

#14 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:00

I had to unhide my libraries just in order to get all my files from different locations to show up in the Metro apps. :(

Who is the person who told Microsoft libraries are confusing? I want to know, so I can have a word with them.

I wouldn't say they think libraries are confusing but just that the majority of people use the default user folders (which is what libraries are set to use also) and don't add more locations to them manually like you and myself and the minority of other users.   So by just sticking to the default user folders it still works out fine for most people.

#15 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:06

How to remove those idiotic folders?

We better gotta get used to changing features and usability if this is what is to come every windows revision every year.