No WEI on Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:51

Yosh people! Discovery has begun on the fresh baked OS. One that intrigues me is that I don't see the Windows Experience Index lying around... Has it been hidden, removed, or postponed?

Attached Images

• fight tha powa.jpg

#2 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:54

my guess it got removed 

hardly any manufacturer/developer use that , as the idea intended originally  so MS killed it silently?

#3 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:54

It was always rather useless to me

#4 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:55

I liked the numbers :(

#5 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:17

Why are they removing features that were in Windows 8.0? First System images then custom Libaries not being shown by default and now WEI. :(

#6 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:28

Why are they removing features that were in Windows 8.0? First System images then custom Libaries not being shown by default and now WEI. :(

Because they don't get how infuriating a feature removal might be to user X even if user Y doesn't miss it at all.

#7 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 21:46

*sigh* Now I can't compare how "good" my PC is when running 8.1 :(

#8 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 21:49

That's too bad. Oh well, it wasn't very accurate and no software developers actually used the numbers. It was pretty pointless really. 

#9 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2013 - 22:09

Noticed it's gone but won't miss it. The idea may have been good at first but nowadays even the cheapest notebooks are powerful enough to run every application known to the normal consumer and for games it was worthless too because a) no publisher used the numbers and b) they were extremely imprecise. It may have been useful once every few years to check if something is fundamentally wrong with a PC but that's not enough imo.

#10 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 22:55

Noticed it's gone but won't miss it. The idea may have been good at first but nowadays even the cheapest notebooks are powerful enough to run every application known to the normal consumer and for games it was worthless too because a) no publisher used the numbers and b) they were extremely imprecise. It may have been useful once every few years to check if something is fundamentally wrong with a PC but that's not enough imo.

Well.... I know there's the Internet for that. 

But suppose you are with a family member and they need to buy a computer and you're on a trip (as is on my case). They don't want to "mess" with ordering via Internet, so they decide to go to the first shop they can find. 

The WEI gives some fast details on how good that computer could perform when looking at low priced computers.

I know there must be some background research before buying a machine... 

Hmmm. Forget it... I just liked to see high scores... Bigger numbers have some magic within them....

#11 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:02

You do all know that WEI was a marketing thing and held very little value, right?

#12 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:05

That would stink if they really removed it because it showed how good your computer. It wasn't necessary but it was nice to be able to compare your pc with another.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:12

You do all know that WEI was a marketing thing and held very little value, right?

Had game developers actually used it as a measure for minimum requirements and reccomended it would have been a great tool. unfortunately they didn't. partly because the audience that buys computer games is no longer mothers and father and gamers without knowledge. computer gamers knows what their computers can do nowadays, the audience that would have benefited from this is gaming on consoles. 

#14 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:28

Had game developers actually used it as a measure for minimum requirements and reccomended it would have been a great tool. unfortunately they didn't. partly because the audience that buys computer games is no longer mothers and father and gamers without knowledge. computer gamers knows what their computers can do nowadays, the audience that would have benefited from this is gaming on consoles. 

Maybe the reason was that GPU scores were completely unreliable.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 June 2013 - 23:42

Maybe the reason was that GPU scores were completely unreliable.

still beat everything else, especially the lists of Nvidia this and AMD that, but only with this CPU and that ram and so on.