Quitting my job without giving notice

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 OP OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 13:37

Not sure of your location but in the UK if you're within your probation period you have as much right to quit as they do to fire you, no matter what the contract says.

Couple of things, hand the access fob back to the boss and ask for a signature to say you've done as such, do it face to face, take your partner or a friend with you if this guy really is an arse.

Reason to get the fob signed off is, as happened to a friend of mine before, they may claim they never had it back from you and send you a bill for it plus any things that '"went missing" after you left.

Good luck.

Yeah I thought about the fob. I have left a note saying it is with building security. too late to do it face to face. plus he will not be in the office tomorrow which is why i am going to email him tonight with my resignation. he doesnt come to the office in person much. just calls and bullies people over the phone.

#17 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,054 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 June 2013 - 13:39

If the building security is not related to the company you worked for then this should be good enough.

#18 OP OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 13:44

If the building security is not related to the company you worked for then this should be good enough.

nope they are the security for the building in which the company rents some office space :)

So if they try and say I didn't return it I can just get the security company to see if it has been used since I left, if it has then it proves I don't have it :)

#19 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,054 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 June 2013 - 13:56

nope they are the security for the building in which the company rents some office space :)

So if they try and say I didn't return it I can just get the security company to see if it has been used since I left, if it has then it proves I don't have it :)

Good stuff!

Make sure you get someone at the security desk to sign in back in though so you have evidence it was handed back.

Regarding your letter, don't worry about stating you're ill as you have no obligation to work a grace period if you're still in your period of probation. Many people don't realise that this is meant as a probation period for both yourself and the company. If the contract states you must work a grace period, this is wrong and they have no legal right to enforce this.

Basically in the letter just put 

"Dear so and so,

I'm writing to let you know that i am resigning my position of [insert position] at [insert company name] as of [insert date]

I have returned the key fob to [insert name] at building security on [insert date].

Many thanks for the opportunity to work within the company.

Yours,

[sign name]"

Polite and to the point and covers your arse in case this guy really is the idiot you think he is.

I used to be in charge of hiring and firing for a chain of shops a few years back.

#20 OP OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 14:00

Good stuff!

Make sure you get someone at the security desk to sign in back in though so you have evidence it was handed back.

Regarding your letter, don't worry about stating you're ill as you have no obligation to work a grace period if you're still in your period of probation. Many people don't realise that this is meant as a probation period for both yourself and the company. If the contract states you must work a grace period, this is wrong and they have no legal right to enforce this.

Basically in the letter just put 

"Dear so and so,

I'm writing to let you know that i am resigning my position of [insert position] at [insert company name] as of [insert date]

I have returned the key fob to [insert name] at building security on [insert date].

Many thanks for the opportunity to work within the company.

Yours,

[sign name]"

Polite and to the point and covers your arse in case this guy really is the idiot you think he is.

I used to be in charge of hiring and firing for a chain of shops a few years back.

Yeah I looked into the legal side of it and it looks as if I am totally within my right to just quit and never go back as it is a probation period :) My contract says I have to give a weeks notice during my probation but that is not legally enforceable from what I have read on UK employment law websites :) I have removed the bit about being off sick.

#21 OP OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:36

Well I did it this morning! I am now free :)

#22 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,891 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:05

Well I did it this morning! I am now free :)

Better luck with the next job!

#23 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,170 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46

So now what?  Did they attempt to contact you?  What are you plans from here on?

#24 OP OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

• 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:59

So now what?  Did they attempt to contact you?  What are you plans from here on?

My boss called this morning and asked my reasons. I did not answer but picked up his voicemail and sent him an email with my reasons. I am yet to here back.

As for the future. I am looking for jobs :)