Ideas For Windows 8.2

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16 Undead Steve

Undead Steve

O.O

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:01

Add option to remove Metro 100% and have a Windows 7 style desktop, start menu, etc.

They have that option - all you have to do to unlock it is stick a Windows 7 installation DVD into your CD/DVD Drive and follow the setup instructions.

#17 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:03

They have that option - all you have to do to unlock it is stick a Windows 7 installation DVD into your CD/DVD Drive and follow the setup instructions.

They want people to go up to 8.. not stick with 7.. they are gunna run into the same issue they have with XP.

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:12

There needs to be a Desktop version of Messaging, Photos, and Contacts.

DeviantArt themes on the Windows Store.

1) You mean like the Windows Live Suite? ;)

2) NO! For every nice dA theme, there's 50 others that have no place on ANYONE'S computer whatsoever.

They want people to go up to 8.. not stick with 7.. they are gunna run into the same issue they have with XP.

You're going to be disappointed, as that will never be an option. In fact, I'll bet you'll see more of the old desktop disappear over the next few years, as Metro matures, and older features deprecate. I'm not alone in that thinking.

#19 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:14

Drag and Drop (like mac/resising icons when dropping and item) and between modern ui/desktop

Proxy Icons

Jumplists in Start Screen

Removal of control panel

Modern UI Regedit, Device Manager, etc.

Allow to remove start button (I never wanted it there in the first place)
More Color Options !!!!!!! iOS Color Palette as an option (not icons) are nice

Allow to install approved apps from alternate sources

Disable desktop in Windows RT

Close/Minimize/Maximize tool tip on desktop is still Windows 9x

Smarter Grid on Start Screen--> Like Windows Phone (gaps)

Multiple Desktops (spaces) built it

More Desktop themes built in (like Metal, Granite, Marble, Wood, Dark Wood, Metallic, Chrome, Brushed Metal, Glass, Faux Glass, Flat Glass, Transparent (non-glass) like Chrome OS.

Vertical Tiles on Start Screen

Ability to unify the start screen color (like Windows Phone or let the app decide)

Math  input panel for Keyboard

More Powerful video editing apps (like iMovie and Windows Live Movie Maker)

Pro Video Editing app for free/cheap (like Final Cut) (should be named Finale, just for the fun of it)

More powerful photo editing like Picasa and an app like garage band ( Mac version, not iPad)

RENAME Windows RT to Windows Core

Have a Surface "Eight" model featuring Standard Windows 8/.1/.2

Better File App for Start Screen (should be called file manager not skydrive, have skydrive be it's own app with Office Web app functionality.

Preview like functionality for Files.

#20 OP Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:16

2) NO! For every nice dA theme, there's 50 others that have no place on ANYONE'S computer whatsoever.

1) Well, that's awesome. It could use a little work visually, but awesome.

2) Of course, I mean only the select good ones that were completely thought out and verified which is no more than ten to twenty.

#21 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:18

They could use this as optional start screen theme:

kr5nyLi.jpg

This would make an epic Easter egg

#22 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:20

What exactly is Microsoft's long term goal with Windows 8? Are they planning on the metro UI taking over or are they going to keep Windows 8 the way it is but just improve it?

#23 ians18

ians18

• OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:26

Another thing is moving the recycle bin below the taskbar, so you drag files down there and a trash icon pops up, To empty the trash, move you mouse down to the bottom of the screen it pops up right click and clear trash. For those with hidden taskbars, there could be an icon on the taskbar for trash. Add a link for it in File Explorer. This eliminates the need for icons on the desktop. It can also work to show the user how to close a modern UI App, drag the open instance down to the trash to close it.

For file explorer make have an option that makes the navigation sidebar a tab labeled "Navigation" so you just drag the files up into the tab and drop it in the location like you would on the sidebar.

Redo Charms, Combine devices under "Share" because you share a screenshot, mirror a screen, or a print a document to share right? In place of that, create a task manager button the opens up the modern UI Sidebar task manager.  

Rename Charms Bar to Action Bar.

Move shutdown, restart, etc under user tile.

Add voice assistant.

Add back app searching in search charm.

#24 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:29

What exactly is Microsoft's long term goal with Windows 8? Are they planning on the metro UI taking over or are they going to keep Windows 8 the way it is but just improve it?

It's going to fit into their new "Devices and Services" direction.

#25 Cocoliso

Cocoliso

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:59

For 8.2 I'd love to see them bring some UI consistency in. How about a fresh Icon set for the old Windows 7 icons to match the metro theme, update the old Windows 95 era icons. Also what about the old properties tabs, modernize those. Basically for once I would love to see them tie everything together rather than bring something new in. 

+1 Bring some consistency, right now it is just a mess.

#26 ians18

ians18

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:06

+1 Bring some consistency, right now it is just a mess.

It doesn't lack consistency (prove me wrong with a specific incident besides desktop/modern UI transition)  it needs more fit and finish.

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:25

I agree it needs more finish, but Windows 8, and now 8.1 are a great base for a great new direction in personal computing. The goal of Windows 8 is to move away from the old, while building the new. As new releases come down the pipeline, you'll see exactly that - new ways of doing things. Ways that encompass future thinking and workflow, while Microsoft works to remove the old, legacy components that haunt the codebase. The new OS will be (hopefully) stable, secure, and able to work on a multitude of devices, and yes, that include PC's and tablets.

If that doesn't float your boat, then I've got bad news for you. It's not the 90's anymore. People no longer are chained to desktop machines, they're mobile, and finally with Windows 8, they're getting the OS they deserve - a powerful, full featured OS, on the devices they need to get their work done. If you're still crazy about archaic command lines, overly obsessed about double clicking on a multitude of on screen controls, or salivating to dig through horrendous drop downs, then Windows is no longer your dream OS. It's designed to be fast, and slim, and the UI easy to learn and use. And Microsoft is going to keep building in that direction.    

#28 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:06

I agree it needs more finish, but Windows 8, and now 8.1 are a great base for a great new direction in personal computing. The goal of Windows 8 is to move away from the old, while building the new. As new releases come down the pipeline, you'll see exactly that - new ways of doing things. Ways that encompass future thinking and workflow, while Microsoft works to remove the old, legacy components that haunt the codebase.

"A great base for a great new direction in personal computing", whatever. That's nice in a research lab. What consumer and businesses need is an actually useful operating system here and now. Your constant old/new legacy/future 90s/today rambling is just vague arbitrary judgement calls void of substance and meaning. Throwing away a mature and incomparable ecosystem of consumer and professional applications does not magically create value for anyone. The emergence of new interaction paradigms, simply because they are new, does not obsolete older interactions paradigms that excel at other things (like productivity, precision, comfort, etc). Apple invented the iPhone yet did not try to turn their Macs into large iPhones with keyboards. 

Different interaction paradigms for different needs. FYI, command-lines are still around because command-lines are still the best UI for certain tasks. 

#29 OP Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:35

1) Well, that's awesome. It could use a little work visually, but awesome.

2) Of course, I mean only the select good ones that were completely thought out and verified which is no more than ten to twenty.

You're going to be disappointed, as that will never be an option. In fact, I'll bet you'll see more of the old desktop disappear over the next few years, as Metro matures, and older features deprecate. I'm not alone in that thinking.

1) Those programs need to be repackaged and amended to be part of the standard windows features.

#30 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:50

"A great base for a great new direction in personal computing", whatever. That's nice in a research lab. What consumer and businesses need is an actually useful operating system here and now. Your constant old/new legacy/future 90s/today rambling is just vague arbitrary judgement calls void of substance and meaning. Throwing away a mature and incomparable ecosystem of consumer and professional applications does not magically create value for anyone. The emergence of new interaction paradigms, simply because they are new, does not obsolete older interactions paradigms that excel at other things (like productivity, precision, comfort, etc). Apple invented the iPhone yet did not try to turn their Macs into large iPhones with keyboards. 

Different interaction paradigms for different needs. FYI, command-lines are still around because command-lines are still the best UI for certain tasks. 

The more I read dotmatrix's posts, the more I think this -> some people liked MS so much and was so desperate for changes to occur, they can't wait to hop onto the W8 bandwagon before even using their head to what's going on. So far the argument of change must occur from the legacy desktop to 'modern' UI is the weakest stance so far. No it doesn't add value, no old code isn't magically taken out, its transformed into something else, and no modern UI cannot accomplish or tackle some of the everyday usages of mobiles, servers or traditional mouse desktops. It was a leap of confidence that wasn't carefully enough thought out, and in the end caused W8 to be received abysmally. Are MS polishing to the Modern UI? yes. Are they doing enough to be proactive? No. Not by a long shot. They still think consumers are idiots, and adding a "start button" will magically make everyone accept the mess that is Modern UI now tacked onto the desktop mode.

ideas for windows 8.2

1. start maturing quality apps. Get a team dedicated to churning out quality apps, I mean QUALITY apps. Not frames that loads a website in the metro interface, that is 90% of all Metro apps right now in the store. Most are plain ugly, filled with ads, and do not really add much 'value' as some would claim. Why would I for example snap a weather or mail metro app to a 3rd of my screen, if i can simply have a tab open in any browser which does the job better? They haven't thought about that.

2. start pushing more web programming languages for the Metro apps, open it up like firefox and Ubuntu OS are doing.

3. START FIXING BUGS THAT WERE THERE SINCE VISTA. Omg, come on.