• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,955 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:35

I disagree. Its the lack of fear of death is why we have so much crime now. 

Except that's false. Capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent; it never has*. There are plenty of countries where people are brutalized or executed for even trivial crimes but it has zero effect on crime rate. 

There is also the problem of how arbitrarily the death penalty can be applied.* Depending on who you are, where you are from, the politics of the time, and the severity of the case. The death penalty is never consistently applied.

Another problem with the death penalty is that a lot of prosecutors pursue it, even on flimsy evidence, because successfully prosecuting a case which renders a death penalty is considered a prized possession among prosecutors. It looks good on a CV. You only have to look at how many people are exonerated to realize the death penalty is a dangerous game to play.

I see plenty of examples of people who do awful things which make my blood boil and my stomach churn; that is a normal, emotional response. However, the problems with capital punishment make me realize I am satisfied my country no longer practices it.

Just my 2 cents.

#32 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 1,922 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:28

Except that's false. Capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent; it never has*. There are plenty of countries where people are brutalized or executed for even trivial crimes but it has zero effect on crime rate. 

There is also the problem of how arbitrarily the death penalty can be applied.* Depending on who you are, where you are from, the politics of the time, and the severity of the case. The death penalty is never consistently applied.

Another problem with the death penalty is that a lot of prosecutors pursue it, even on flimsy evidence, because successfully prosecuting a case which renders a death penalty is considered a prized possession among prosecutors. It looks good on a CV. You only have to look at how many people are exonerated to realize the death penalty is a dangerous game to play.

I see plenty of examples of people who do awful things which make my blood boil and my stomach churn; that is a normal, emotional response. However, the problems with capital punishment make me realize I am satisfied my country no longer practices it.

Just my 2 cents.

Even if its not a deterrent at least if the person is dead they are not committing more crime and they are not sucking up resources. Kill them and be done with it.

#33 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,955 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:24

^ That completely ignores innocent people who might be killed by the system. How many innocent people would you be willing to see executed just to see guilty ones executed? 1 in 1000? 1 in 50? 1 in 10? Wouldn't 1 be too many?

#34 M1cky_B

M1cky_B

Neowinian

• 72 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2 / Galaxy Nexus

Posted 16 July 2013 - 16:34

Totally sad.. To do something so horrific to a defenceless child is pathetic and i hope he gets what is coming to him..

#35 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,898 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 17:29

^ That completely ignores innocent people who might be killed by the system. How many innocent people would you be willing to see executed just to see guilty ones executed? 1 in 1000? 1 in 50? 1 in 10? Wouldn't 1 be too many?

Upthread I suggested not using the death penalty where the evidence is circumstantial. Reserve it for when there is direct forensic evidence. There goes the vast, VAST majority of the issue. Still, there is no such thing as perfdction. An innocent lifer could be killed by a not so innocent lifer, probably at a higher rate, and crossing the street isn't that safe either. Neither is showering.

#36 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,983 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:02

eye for an eye

And all the world shall be blind

#37 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:18

http://www.deathpena...er-murder-rates

I'm a bit surprised that U.S. States with the death penalty actually have higher murder rates.

#38 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,955 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 22:47

Upthread I suggested not using the death penalty where the evidence is circumstantial. Reserve it for when there is direct forensic evidence. There goes the vast, VAST majority of the issue. Still, there is no such thing as perfdction. An innocent lifer could be killed by a not so innocent lifer, probably at a higher rate, and crossing the street isn't that safe either. Neither is showering.

Even if you did that, ignoring the possibility of evidence tampering, you still have issues where the death penalty isn't applied consistently across the board.

Or, some victim's families have opposed the death penalty so you might be executing someone in the name of justice which the victim's families wouldn't want. Or if the person murdered was a well known as anti-capital punishment, you'd be doing something they wouldn't have wanted.

#39 OP DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,898 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:29

The victims or their families aren't the ones in whose name the charges are brought, the state is. You can't depend on the family for what direction to take in the criminal justice system. There are several cases, including a recent one here in Michigan, where the victims family didn't even want to testify because the perp was another family member.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!