• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,114 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:32

The football player comparison is a bad anology. The fact is many kids, even athletes, have congenital a cardiac arrhythmia or other problems that, combined with obesity and many of those strenuous activities, could cause trouble or death. Look at how many outwardly "normal" kids drop dead doing sports. The vast majority had passed the required pre-athletics physical.

incidentally being overweight doesn't make you un-healthy.

I'm overweights. yet. I don't have cholesterol, high or low blood pressure or any other condition(other than my non related Asthma from childhood). meanwhile a lot of thin/fit people are high cholesterol and blood pressure issues or other issues. Weight itself doesn't necessarily have any relation to health issues, though I'm not talking about the needs to bus seats type of fat here, which is getting very common over there. 

#17 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,478 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:46

I'm overweights. yet. I don't have cholesterol, high or low blood pressure or any other condition(other than my non related Asthma from childhood). meanwhile a lot of thin/fit people are high cholesterol and blood pressure issues or other issues. Weight itself doesn't necessarily have any relation to health issues, though I'm not talking about the needs to bus seats type of fat here, which is getting very common over there. 

It can potentially cause other issues in the future; i.e. bad knees, legs, shin splints, Plantar fasciitis, etc. I started training for a 5K earlier this year and had to stop because I tore my calf muscles. Doc said that the added weight put too much stress on the lower extremities. Still, I agree with you. My cholesterol and bp are normal despite being over 300 lbs

#18 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,014 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:51

they should be allowed to participate... but if they cant keep up because of their obesity they should be left behind ... in the woods... without help ... 

It can potentially cause other issues in the future; i.e. bad knees, legs, shin splints, Plantar fasciitis, etc. I started training for a 5K earlier this year and had to stop because I tore my calf muscles. Doc said that the added weight put too much stress on the lower extremities. Still, I agree with you. My cholesterol and bp are normal despite being over 300 lbs

even with good bp and cholestrol you are still at massive risk from a heart attack being that size

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 19:31

Of course it does. Literally everything you do is harder on your body if you're overweight. This is doubly true if you're obese.

Yes, sure, a lot of people can live like that into their 40s and 50s, but once you get older you're more likely to end up with things like joint pain and diabetes. And once you can move around as much due to other issues, you're more likely to have heart problems.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,114 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 July 2013 - 19:38

Of course it does. Literally everything you do is harder on your body if you're overweight. This is doubly true if you're obese.

Yes, sure, a lot of people can live like that into their 40s and 50s, but once you get older you're more likely to end up with things like joint pain and diabetes. And once you can move around as much due to other issues, you're more likely to have heart problems.

Except the medical community has declared years ago and still agrees that being over weight doesn't mean health risk. yes, of course if your American style obese of course it's really bad for you. but being over weight doesn't mean that. there are other things far more dangerous to you than being "healthy overweight".

Maybe we should ban sports to, it causes uncountable number of health issues each year, and deaths as well. and must like being morbidly obese, it also causes early damage to your joints and and heart. 

#21 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 19:52

Except the medical community has declared years ago and still agrees that being over weight doesn't mean health risk. yes, of course if your American style obese of course it's really bad for you. but being over weight doesn't mean that. there are other things far more dangerous to you than being "healthy overweight".

Maybe we should ban sports to, it causes uncountable number of health issues each year, and deaths as well. and must like being morbidly obese, it also causes early damage to your joints and and heart. 

There are very few long term studies on weight. At best, there's an agreement that some small weight gain as you age is not an issue. I've never seen a single one that agrees that being overweight when young will have no issues over the course of your lifetime, and I highly doubt such a study has ever been conducted considering how recent of an issue childhood obesity is.

And yes, playing sports will give you more issues as you age. I'm sure if you looked at the life expectancy of NFL players, it's less than average. I'm not saying we should ban anything, nor would I argue that living to 120 stick thin and stuck in your house is anyway to live, but you also can't wave everything off as a non-issue.

#22 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 20:01

The Boy Scouts of America is a really ######ed up organization.  They used to stand for something now they just seem to discriminate (anti-gay, obesity, etc).

When I was in Scouts (in Canada) growing up, we were just a bunch of kids and that's it.

#23 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,478 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 16 July 2013 - 20:53

The Boy Scouts of America is a really ****ed up organization.  They used to stand for something now they just seem to discriminate (anti-gay, obesity, etc).

When I was in Scouts (in Canada) growing up, we were just a bunch of kids and that's it.

I disagree. Been with the organization for some time. Just because it looks bad in selective media outlets (and yeah, all of the bad stories get shown vs. the good ones), it doesn't reflect everywhere else. Our Pack/Troop, District, and Council don't act like that.

I, too, never experienced problems as a young Scout in North Carolina.

#24 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

• 459 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 21:59

There are very few long term studies on weight. At best, there's an agreement that some small weight gain as you age is not an issue. I've never seen a single one that agrees that being overweight when young will have no issues over the course of your lifetime, and I highly doubt such a study has ever been conducted considering how recent of an issue childhood obesity is.

I would say studies like this tend to give a clear picture:

1851009_1471-2458-7-49-2.png

http://openi.nlm.nih...58-7-49-2&req=4

Basically they compare the relative mortality rates of obese individuals as well as mortality rates for smokers to those of Hiroshima and Nagasaki radiation exposure victims. And the results seem to point toward a longer life expectancy for the radiation victims. So a high BMI (>30) does definitely indicate high risk factors for life-shortening conditions.

#25 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,816 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 July 2013 - 22:41

The Boy Scouts of America is a really ****ed up organization.  They used to stand for something now they just seem to discriminate (anti-gay, obesity, etc).

It seems, at least from a foreigners perspective, that the boy scouts are being used for other peoples' agendas in some cases. I think the gay issues would have been solved years ago if it wasn't for religious conservatives meddling in the issue. We see some churches cut funding and affiliation after the boy scouts dropped the policy covering gay scouts. As far as I know they still don't allow gay scout leaders. At least ones who are out.

#26 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 22:47

So don't allow them to participate...people are upset...allow them to participate and something medically/physically happens to the kid. People are upset. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

What is really sad is the shape of kids these days and how lazy/unconcerned lots of parents are. Plus how people are sue happy and always point the blame at others instead of themselves. Blame the Boy Scouts...I blame how society has become.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,976 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 16 July 2013 - 22:57

stop feeding your children garbage, problem solved.

More than garbage can make kids and adults obese. There are worse foods eaten commonly and though of as healthy or just regular food than Twinkies.

High fructose corn syrup can be converted to fat almost immediately depending on the metabolic and nutrient environment of the individual at the time it is consumed, REGARDLESS of how much or how little you eat. But it is a big money maker for America, so it's not going away and we are under-educated about metabolism. The fitness industry doesn't help since it's mostly skinny people or people using steroids, hormones, and dope.

It's all about makin' money.

So don't allow them to participate...people are upset...allow them to participate and something medically/physically happens to the kid. People are upset. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

What is really sad is the shape of kids these days and how lazy/unconcerned lots of parents are. Plus how people are sue happy and always point the blame at others instead of themselves. Blame the Boy Scouts...I blame how society has become.

I agree with you regarding the scouts. I'm not sure many people are upset, the media is creating headlines. But I'm not sure people are out of shape because they are lazy. The weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry and at any given time half of all Americans are trying to lose weight. They don't know how. So many uneducated think it's simply people eating too much, or eating junk, or being lazy.

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,976 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 840 Pro 128GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 760

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:03

I actually agree with you. But it does lead to a lower quality of life. If fact, overweight people who are constantly trying to lose weight, even if they fail, tend to be healthier than individuals of normal weight to make no efforts to mind their diet and exercise regularly.

The BMI states the obvious, and in the case of athletes or very well fit individuals it is totally worthless. Therefore, I find it worthless. It's like a Dr. Oz show where he stood an obese woman against a cardboard backdrop and drew with magic market, her obese outline. Then inside that he drew a svelte outline, and said, this is where I think you should be to be healthy. No ###### Sherlock.

#29 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:06

I agree with you regarding the scouts. I'm not sure many people are upset, the media is creating headlines. But I'm not sure people are out of shape because they are lazy. The weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry and at any given time half of all Americans are trying to lose weight. They don't know how. So many uneducated thing it's simply people eating too much, or eating junk, or being lazy.

Kids being lazy has a lot to do with it. Not all, but a lot. When all they do is sit around, play video games or watch TV...then that is not helping.

#30 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,976 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 23:23

A lot of heavy people make this mistake, running isn't for the heavy. Even light runners if they keep running, will eventually have these type of injuries, all of them. There's an exponential impact with running that should make it forbidden for heavy or overweight people, and inadvisable for most in general. Only Kenyan's avoid injury, or those built like them.

Kids being lazy has a lot to do with it. Not all, but a lot. When all they do is sit around, play video games or watch TV...then that is not helping.

That makes them inactive, not lazy. And it does have something to do with it. But there are just as many kids that spend most of their childhood in front of a TV that do not become overweight adults, as there are those who do. But definitely, for a kid showing the genetic propensity to become overweight, this is a practice that will lead them into a lifelong struggle with weight as adults.