iowa birthday breastfeeding receipt facebook page

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,000 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 22:33

A breastfeeding mother at a pizza restaurant got the surprise of her life when she received a free pizza and a kind note on her receipt from a waitress.

Jackie Johnson-Smith, 33, a stay-at-home mother from Ankeny, Iowa was celebrating her 33rd birthday on Sunday at Fong’s Pizza in Des Moines with her husband and their three kids, ages 4, 3, and 12 months, when her youngest started fussing. “I usually don’t go downtown for dinner because lots of places aren’t family-friendly but I had heard good things about Fong’s,” Johnson-Smith told Yahoo! Shine. “It was chaotic—I had one kid licking the honey container on the table, another standing on his chair, and my baby was fussing.”

So Johnson-Smith threw on a nursing cover and began discreetly breastfeeding her 12-month-old. “I usually don’t like to breastfeed in public because people can be judgmental,” she says. “The waitress kept walking by, and I was worried she didn’t want me nursing in the restaurant.” Eventually, worried that her baby would continue crying, Johnson-Smith left the restaurant and finished nursing in the car.

Shortly after, Johnson-Smith’s husband walked out with a huge smile on his face. “He handed me the dinner receipt and at first I was confused—why is he showing me how much my birthday dinner cost?” said Johnson-Smith. To her surprise, there was a handwritten note on the paper:  ‘I bought one of your pizzas. Please thank your wife for breastfeeding!’

“I was in total shock and started tearing up,” said Johnson-Smith. “After dealing with people’s reactions for so long, it was like the universe was giving me a pat on the back. I was too stunned to go back inside and thank the waitress.”

When Johnson-Smith got home, she posted a photo of the receipt to her Facebook page with the message: “I have breastfed three children... I have breastfed them in a countless number of places both pleasant and unpleasant, discreetly and out in the open. I have gotten many looks and stares, but tonight erases any negativity I have ever received. I ate at Fongs for the first time tonight. Having a fussy baby I nursed him for awhile in the booth and eventually left the table early as to not disrupt the restaurant. The waitress gave this receipt to my husband. I was speechless and emotional. Although I don't need a pat on the back for feeding my child, it sure felt amazing. It is amazing how we women can make each other feel when we empower each other."

more

Attached Images

• receipt.jpg

#2 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:00

I'm still breastfeeding, and I'm a grown man.

#3 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,779 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:06

I'm still breastfeeding, and I'm a grown man.

since when are men are able to breastfeed their children?

#4 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:08

I'll leave it up to your imagination.

#5 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:10

... Crab rangoon pizza? wat o_o

#6 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,236 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:12

Watch 'Meet the Fockers' movie and see for yourself.

:laugh:

Edit: Added video:

#7 TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne

Neowinian

• 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:15

Watch 'Meet the Focker' movie and see for yourself.

:laugh:

Hahahaha...I just youtube that scene.  It wasn't exactly what I had in mind by 'breastfeeding' :p

#8 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:17

crab-rangoon-pizza1.jpg

#9 Star-Pirate

Star-Pirate

Privateer

• 304 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:24

I have seen a medical program here in the UK called Embarrassing Bodies, and a guy on that could lactate. (So if he wanted to he could breast feed)... 

#10 Scroogled

Scroogled

Neowinian

• 228 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:29

Look at the name of the place--"Fong's Pizza". This wouldn't the first crazy Asian-influenced food to come out of the Midwest. Have you ever heard of a St. Paul sandwich?

#11 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 23:29

*image snipped*

Well. You learn something new every day.

#12 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,000 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 00:03

I'd rather have cow milk.

#13 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,576 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 00:12

Well all the adverts on tv in the UK for this sort of thing suggest breastfeeding is beneficial to the baby. And I'm not a prude. Good on her, and good on the waitress for being openminded.

#14 Star-Pirate

Star-Pirate

Privateer

• 304 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:45

I'd rather have cow milk.

Cows milk is so last year, LOL

#15 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,765 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:56

Don't really see why it's such a big thing if a lady wants to breast feed in public.

Yes, for the first 12 months or so it might be a bit strange to a select few, but that would soon go away as it would be the "norm".

I believe breast feeding is the right way for a baby.  After all, it's what nature intends, hence why the boobies get big and produce milk.... just like many other animals.