usa activision blizzard prepaid card multiplayer online game business model

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:10

I have mixed feelings about this. I played this game since the origional beta, and logged 7 years total, and right now have 8 lvl 90, with full raid gear. I cannot now, bring  myself to re-sub my subscription, and everyone I have played with has quit also. I cannot wait for the next big mmo from blizzard though.

Right there with you. Will be bitter sweet when its gone. No more temptation, but it was once a great, challenging game.

#17 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,712 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:17

Is it even possible to die while questing now? No more forming groups and making friends on your server, no more travelling to the dungeons. Everything is just handed to you now, you can get to 90 and get full raid gear without speaking to another person or even leaving the city. It's just boring.

That's what eventually turned me off about the game.. loved the original, fond memories of BWL raids, etc.. actually had to work for the rewards, and you had "proper" raids. Burning Crusade was ok, but Lich King was the turning point for me.. enjoyed it for a little while but wound getting bored and eventually retired my account. When Cataclysm came out I got the free week offer... gave it another go but didn't make it past day 3. Haven't tried it since, and a few people I still keep in touch with tell me the same, it's been dumbed down to an absurd level. Just my impression, but felt like they were catering to the lowest common denominator to get the most subscribers versus keeping the standards up to what made the original game great.

#18 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,437 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:27

It's not game over. Just a side effect of becoming a casual game. Doesn't take months to beat all of the content. Many of those will come back when the next expansion comes out, play for a while, and then wait again for another expansion. I leveled from 1 to 90 in 2 weeks and reached the raiding final boss of the time a week later. No reason to play after that.

Shows how easy its gotten to raid, and how all the decreases in required XP to level (along with RaF bonuses etc. not assuming you used them though) have made the game. No wonder many 'hard core' people have left. I personally quit at the end of WotLK.

#19 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,748 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:37

Having played this for a long time, I find it comes and goes. I'm in the "goes" stage right now.

But I have to agree, the cost is rapidly becoming not worth it especially considering many other MMO's are now F2P.

#20 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:43

I agree, they have completely killed the social aspect of this game, removed any challenge it ever had and even ruined the immersion of the world with flying mounts and portals. When I first started playing years ago the world felt huge, almost endless. There was so much to explore and it was actually dangerous to go out in the world. Is it even possible to die while questing now? No more forming groups and making friends on your server, no more travelling to the dungeons. Everything is just handed to you now, you can get to 90 and get full raid gear without speaking to another person or even leaving the city. It's just boring.

Sad, too. It's all the result of caving in to people constantly bitching about stuff being too hard. People whined that not enough stuff was accessible to "casuals" so they had to lower the bar for them over and over, but nothing ever stops people from complaining. The players who actually succeeded and built competent guilds and cleared raid content were called "elitists" by the idiot masses because they could actually earn the things the other players expected to have handed to them.

#21 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:46

Shows how easy its gotten to raid, and how all the decreases in required XP to level (along with RaF bonuses etc. not assuming you used them though) have made the game. No wonder many 'hard core' people have left. I personally quit at the end of WotLK.

Didn't use any exp boosts other than the one you get with the Panda. The challenge is completely gone from the game.

#22 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:23

Sad, too. It's all the result of caving in to people constantly bitching about stuff being too hard. People whined that not enough stuff was accessible to "casuals"

I did not hear too much people complain about the game being too hard. People mostly complained about the grinding in BC. Blizzard went way too hard with the grinding in BC. Lot of hardcore raiders i did dongeon with back then actually did agree with that. BC was fun but the rep grinding made the game not so fun for people who did not have too much time like me.

For me Blizzard got it right in WOTLK. Hard enough. But not too much grinding so people with not too much time but skills like me could actually exploit them. It was enjoyable for both casual and hardcore.

Cata was nice up until they decided to nerf Fireland and create the raid finder in DS. I really liked the dongeons in cata. Since then the game is going downhill. It's way way too easy.

My toon was Granule, Garnotte and Bourlette on Emerald Dream.

#23 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,442 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:31

Finally?

#24 Aeikus

Aeikus

Neowinian

• 254 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:35

Wow isn't what it used to be.  Grinding faction dailies and raid finder pretty much ruined it for me.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:17

That's a lot of subs to lose in a year's time. Someone better wake up and smell the coffee.

#26 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,403 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:22

FYI, Pandarens were in the Warcraft lore more than 5 years before Kung Fu Panda was released....

That being said, WoW is not "Game Over" yet, but it is definitely declining. I can see Blizzard making it F2P with limitations or with an added in-game store eventually, the declining player base will eventually push it towards that type of business model....but I think that's still a few years off.

Samwise doing an April Fool's doesn't count as in the game.

#27 bennett™

bennett™

... Bεηηεtt ...

• 885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:36

I had played the game for over 7 years, Made many great friends and was in the top Oceanic raiding guilds during WotLK, Cata and MoP taking many Server first Hardmode Boss kills since Ulduar. Over time the game just started getting easier and easier catering to the casuals the the epicness of being the best on the server or getting the best mount/item never really started to mean anything anymore, then with the introduction of LFD and LFR there was no fun doing the daily dungeon with people on your server, being able getting in over other people because they knew you were good and who you were. You also knew of all the bads/trolls and wouldn't join them, or in my case I would join and help them along. Now you would just join a random group and depending on the people you could end up with a bunch of idiots or some really talented people that makes the dungeon run 50x faster.

I remember farming rep for days, weeks and sometimes months and found it simply amazing and great fun, as you would meet other people doing the same thing and they would become friends that you would chat to over time and meet up with in game to grind or group with in a dungeon. I had the most fun in BC forming premade groups to hit up battlegrounds to farm reputation with the factions for the elusive Justicar title and get that awesome looking Arathi Basin Tabard (thank god they haven't changed the way rep is gain through that.. yet)

But after doing all that and grinding for these things, racking up a total over over 600 total days played on my main character then seeing them change the way reps were earned making them easier and removing the epicness of certain titles. It was a stab in the back, It sucked because certain people didn't want to put in the time and commitment into getting the certain title because it took to long. The title "the Insane" is a clear example of how much easier it is to get now than it was back when it was first introduced.

I quit the game 2-3 months ago and haven't logged in since. I tried to get back into hardcore raiding again joining top oceanic guilds but I felt that raiding was just not the same as it was before and I was beating a dead horse trying to bring back the love that I once had for the game and would only log in to do casual arena/battlegrounds with a friend. It has been the same for a heap of people that I use to raid with back in the day who no longer play, there are some people that I know that continue to play due to the fact that their friends play but that's the only reason and complain about the mechanics of certain aspects of the game a lot. Arena and Battlegrounds being the most common to complain about unless you are playing a Rogue, Hunter or Warrior. I was a sucker for pain as I played an Elemental Shaman (go the shaman!)

Anyways I have rabbled on about the history of me and my character for awhile instead of typing about the thread. I bet the game will loose more subs in the coming months, and I know that they will loose a boat load more when WildStar comes out as that game looks simply amazing and will be the next MMO that I and a bunch of old gaming friends will be moving to who will be catering to the 1% of players and not the casuals (mostly to the raiding aspect from what I have read about) and just looks like a really amazing MMO to get into, even though I will be playing casually since now I work and have other commitments outside of gaming now.

RIP Miranora, Barthilas

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,445 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:42

World of Warcraft stopped being fun when PVP was directed to battlegrounds and travel went to air and flightpath.