Your tech confessions: What are you afraid to admit?

I don't know if this counts because I was just a kid at the time but I opened up an Atari 2600 cartridge and plugged it into an ISA slot on the family's 286 computer hoping I would be able to play it. I have no idea why I thought that might work; fortunately nothing was destroyed.

• Like 3

I've never used OSX and know little about Apple software. Though afraid wouldn't be the right word for me, I'm admit what I don't know so I can learn it!

I've never used OSX and know little about Apple software. Though afraid wouldn't be the right word for me, I'm admit what I don't know so I can learn it!

This!

I have nothing against Mac, I've just never known anyone that had one to mess around with.

Likewise, I know nobody that owns one, and the charity I volunteered at didn't have any either. If I had hardware that could hackintosh in a stable manner i'd try it, I just can't justify the expenditure at the moment as I see it as more of a curiosity than a pressing matter.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm a unix freak. All of my machines run OS X, and all of my servers run Debian. I can do anything in bash blindfolded with one arm tied behind my back, but I'm atrocious when it comes to Windows.

I haven't used Windows as my main OS since Windows 98 (yes, it's been that long). I've briefly used Windows XP, never touched Vista, have one virtualised install of Windows 7 which I use for the ESXi client (it's literally a case of boot -> open vsphere -> shutdown), and I've never touched Windows 8. A colleague of mine asked if I could help connect our network scanner to their new Windows 8 box. Big mistake. After about an hour - we gave up and plugged it in via a long USB cable (nobody else is using the port :p).

As for trackpads - Apple's Magic Trackpad has completely changed my opinion of them. I use a mouse for gaming - that's it. If I'm not playing a game, I use the trackpad.

I hate command line usage. I started with Windows 98 and I've became a bit of a GUI junkie since then. I avoid command usage as much as possible :P

• Like 1

I both despise and loathe the computer mouse. The inconsistent crap I have had to put up with professionally and personally over the years from the damn jumped up peripheral barely warrants the ease of access.

I purposely train myself to use the thing the highest sensitivity levels just to infuriate any poor sod who happens to use my workstation just so I can share the misery.

• Like 3

I'm starting to hate modern GUIs from major systems. I find myself using CLI commands or custom UIs more and more.

I'm starting to hate modern GUIs from major systems. I find myself using CLI commands or custom UIs more and more.

Once you get use to the CLI you can do so much more. I rip ll my DVDs in Linux with CLI commands. It's much faster and does a better job than most GUIs.

I installed Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine the other day to play around with, so there is technically a Windows installation on my hard drive right now.  :-(

I prefer to buy my PC's from OEM's than build them myself.

I did this with my latest desktop. I understand why people do it [building], and recommend it myself, but I don't trust myself to get something wrong. I just know I'll either plug something in wrong, break something, or as I turn it on watch it go up in flames.  :pinch:

Even after many, many years (12) of being a web developer, i still, pretty much at least twice a week, type 'Colour' instead of 'Color' and wonder why my CSS isn't working.

I build PC's for others yet mine is a mess of wiring and barely screwed in PCIe cards.

I advise people what routers to buy, but use a BT Home Hub myself

I've not calibrated the colour on my monitor since Christmas

I always hit ; instead of ' when typing "Wasn't, Isn't etc" no matter what keyboard i'm using and always have to go back and correct it.

Ahhhhhh feels good :D

Hm let's see. I've finished a degree in Software Engineering and have about a year of experience in the field, yet:

- I don't understand networking for ****. If it doesn't work by plugging cables and rebooting switches, I don't know what to do.

- I like to blabber about functional programming but I won't touch Haskell with a twelve-feet pole. That thing looks incomprehensible.

- I spend most of my idle time thinking about game engine design and algorithms yet I can never find the will to actually sit down and program one. 8 hours of work per day seems enough.

- My head hurts from not enough sleep and too much debugging race conditions (**** race conditions, seriously).

- I might be too encroached in .NET. I don't think I've ever willingly written anything that wasn't .NET. The day this technology dies I will be very sad. That said it doesn't look like .NET is going anywhere in the foreseeable future. :p

1. I only have 100 or so games in my Steam library.

2. I still have and use my Zune daily.

3. I never buy new games. I wait for them to go down to the 10-20 dollar range on Steam. (Exceptions: Oblivion and Skyrim)

4. I don't know anything about programming or networking. So I decided to go back to school and study those two subjects. 

5. I'm scared of flashing firmwares, I don't care what it is: Phone ROMs, SSD firmware, BIOS updates, etc. I do them only when I have to. 

5. I'm scared of flashing firmwares, I don't care what it is: Phone ROMs, SSD firmware, BIOS updates, etc. I do them only when I have to. 

It's a well-reasoned fear, however. Not very long ago did an update to Intel DH61WW board (to take IB) to the best of my ability and with instructions to the letter, but an otherwise well-working board still ended up POST-looping. It was replaced eventually - perhaps it was actually bad - or maybe Intel and its resellers just don't care that much, but before that I had to fund the replacement from my own pocket. Guess what - now Intel boards are way down my list of things I want to touch.

1) I code 10 hours a day, 50 hours a week for years in Python and I have never touched the socket modules. It scares me.

2) My computer is a Frankenstein of parts I found laying around work/home or in the garbage room of my building. I can afford new parts....

3) My solution to most of my technical problems are turning it off and on again, it seems to work.

4) I'm a completely self taught programmer and so I don't know the formal names of certain methodologies and look stupid because of it.

5) I like PHP.

3) My solution to most of my technical problems are turning it off and on again, it seems to work.

Ah yes, the Roy Trenneman Solution, guaranteed to work ninety-something percent of the time. Provided you know what a button is and how to use it. :D

• Like 2