3 posts in this topic

Posted

I was a fit 59-year-old and had just had an annual health check at my GP surgery. This revealed I had high blood sugar

Posted

A very low carb diet would do the same thing. It doesn't have to be 800 cal, just void of things that spike blood sugar. E.g. lots of veggies, meat/fish/eggs/nuts for protein, small portion of berries for dessert, no grains whatsoever, and only water to drink. Anyone who's tried something like this knows how good it is for losing weight, and especially keeping blood sugar down because you constantly want to eat or kill things :rofl:

1 person likes this

Posted

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to keep glucose levels normal (in type 1, the pancreas stops producing insulin altogether)....

No, both of those situations are Type 1 diabetes. The first one is actually referred to as the honeymoon phase of Type 1 because it is the period of time your pancreas slowly decreases how much it can make until it finally hits 0. Until then, your diet doesn't have to be controlled as much and you don't require as much insulin. Type 2 you may or may not be making enough, but the fat is causing chemical reactions that prevent it from being used properly and the sugar stays in your system. You don't start making less insulin with Type 2 unless you don't treat it and your pancreas is damaged. Once that damage happens, you won't regain that functionality, which is why Type 1's are stuck with it for life. If you catch Type 2 early enough, you can reverse the condition and stop the lowering of insulin production, which is what happened in this article. However, the two are completely different conditions with very different causes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesOverview/story?id=3843306