Xbox One coming to 13 markets at launch, not 21 as originally planned

xboxonekinectmain.jpg

It looks like the Xbox One won't be as widely available at launch as originally planned. Citing a need to meet demand, Microsoft said today that its new console will be available in 13 countries at launch, instead of the 21 initially promised. Instead, the remaining eight countries will get it sometime in 2014. All told, those 13 lucky countries include: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, the United Kingdom, the United States and New Zealand. The remaining eight -- Belgium, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland -- will still sell it as planned, but for now, Microsoft isn't committing to a firm launch date. For now, all we know is that it's promised to arrive "as soon as possible next year." As a "show of appreciation for your patience," to use Microsoft's words, people who placed pre-orders in those eight cut-off countries will receive a game in the box. Feeling consoled, guys?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/14/xbox-one-coming-to-13-markets-at-launch/

During E3, Microsoft revealed the Xbox One would launch for $500 in November, initially to 21 different markets. In a blog post today, Microsoft called that lofty goal "aggressive," and has announced the Xbox One will only be available in 13 territories this November.

Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand will be the first launch territories for Xbox One and are unaffected by this news today. Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland, however, will receive the console "as soon as possible" in 2014.

If you live in one of these affected countries and have pre-ordered an Xbox One, Microsoft will toss in an unknown free game as penance for the delay. For more information, Microsoft suggests contacting your local retailer.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/xbox-one-scales-back-launch-to-13-markets-this-november

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets

Oh Microsoft :no:

well, that sucks.

I wasn't pre ordering anyway though and only planned to buy when available anyway. which probably would have been the same thing, only without the official delay. 

With Sony following this announcement with their own about stopping pre-orders, its clear they are both anticipating delays based on demand. 

It sucks for those in any country wanting these consoles.  I'm sure both will ramp up production as quickly as possible and get them to everyone as soon as they can.

With Sony announcing today the end to pre-orders for the ps4, it seems both companies are concerned they cant meet demand at launch.

It sucks, but there is not much you can do but get those consoles built as quickly as possible.  I'm sure both MS and Sony will get these things out to more people as soon as they can.

I remember some pretty rough console shortages.  The PS2 was really bad.

The Wii and 360 shortages were ridiculous. Wii obviously more so. What was it? 18 months and it was still hard to buy one in USA? 360 was easy to buy around Summer 2006 IIRC, at least in UK.

Was not taking chances with PS4/X1 so I pre-ordered both ASAP. Not freezing my ass off in a queue again.

My country was not one of the original 21 anyway.   Still, their reasoning behind it seems legit to me, it'd be fine to delay it a few more months, I mean, November 13 to "2014" is 2 months, maybe  markets will see it again in January?    Getting the localization bits to work right is good, also the DRM change has delayed things I'm sure.  Now you have to recode the software and firmware (like the BD players firmware to check for a legit disc in the drive when before it didn't have to bother and so on).   Probably added another month to the schedule at least. 

Shortages and so on, besides, has Sony even said who's going to get the PS4 and when?  As far as I know Sony hasn't even given a date, MS at least said November.   I was going to hold off till 2014 to get it anyways, all the new stuff seems to be next year anyways.

The Wii and 360 shortages were ridiculous. Wii obviously more so. What was it? 18 months and it was still hard to buy one in USA? 360 was easy to buy around Summer 2006 IIRC, at least in UK.

Was not taking chances with PS4/X1 so I pre-ordered both ASAP. Not freezing my ass off in a queue again.

Oh yeah, no doubt, they were terrible. 

The PS2 was the last console I stood in line for. I was tired of it then and was not going to put up with it again.

I'm very thankful places like Amazon exist.  I was able to pre-order both and guarantee that I get both on launch day, no leaving the house for me.

My country was not one of the original 21 anyway.   Still, their reasoning behind it seems legit to me, it'd be fine to delay it a few more months, I mean, November 13 to "2014" is 2 months, maybe  markets will see it again in January?    Getting the localization bits to work right is good, also the DRM change has delayed things I'm sure.  Now you have to recode the software and firmware (like the BD players firmware to check for a legit disc in the drive when before it didn't have to bother and so on).   Probably added another month to the schedule at least. 

Shortages and so on, besides, has Sony even said who's going to get the PS4 and when?  As far as I know Sony hasn't even given a date, MS at least said November.   I was going to hold off till 2014 to get it anyways, all the new stuff seems to be next year anyways.

There is one back up option for those that either can't find stock of either console in their country or a console hasn't launched there at all yet:  Importing

Both consoles are region free for gaming, so if you want and X1 or PS4 before it officially launches in your country, just import it from another.

Must be pretty gutting to endlessly defend the Xbox one only for Microsoft to pull the rug from under you and not even sell it in your country?

Except microsoft is delaying the launch to prevent shortages...just like Sony is stopping pre-orders so they don't run into shortages.

I just thought of something else that could be at play here.

Since MS is bundling Kinect with every console, it may have even more shortages than the PS4. Sony doesn't have to worry about having a Move camera/controller built for each PS4 built. 

That's too bad.  I think there are going to be plenty of people in both camps that are not going to be pleased if they're expecting to get one of these by the holiday.

I'm personally not expecting to get one until next spring at the earliest, so I hope supply is good to go by then :P

Which brings an interesting question.

since they had a specific number of day one edition in production and "sold" already. does that mean they're now releasing more day one editions for sale in the US as they move the ones from the delayed countries to the US queue. are they stowed away or are they simply putting production of these on emergency stop, to not overproduce and then they will make more day one editions later for those that will get their day one edition at a much later day one :)

I know they're probably just halting production and then starting it again later, still funny to get a day one edition at a later date :)

Could that rumour a while back about yield issues be true and the cause of this?

Anyway that sucks. But getting a free pack in game sounds nice.

I think we can ignore the unfounded rumors and credit this ti the extremely high pre-order numbers for both consoles. or did the PS4 alsos uddenly have low yield ? :)

Microsoft really can't seem do anything right when it comes to the Xbox One. I certainly wouldn't be impressed if I was in one of the affected regions.

Microsoft really can't seem do anything right when it comes to the Xbox One. I certainly wouldn't be impressed if I was in one of the affected regions.

Well aren't they the only console maker who have done a global launch? Sony sure didn't manage it with PS3 and it's their first time with PS4 (if they do).

Well aren't they the only console maker who have done a global launch?

No. Both the Xbox and X360 had staggered launches. As for Sony, it is rumoured to be releasing the PS4 worldwide simultaneously but it is likely there will be major shortages and the details are sketchy. All we know is that Microsoft won't be doing a simultaneous worldwide release with the X1, which will be seen by many in those regions as a snub.

No. Both the Xbox and X360 had staggered launches. As for Sony, it is rumoured to be releasing the PS4 worldwide simultaneously but it is likely there will be major shortages and the details are sketchy. All we know is that Microsoft won't be doing a simultaneous worldwide release with the X1, which will be seen by many in those regions as a snub.

21 Markets for launch was an ambitious goal. I thought they might have been able to do it. Probably couldn't get enough manufacturing plants on contract?

21 Markets for launch was an ambitious goal. I thought they might have been able to do it. Probably couldn't get enough manufacturing plants on contract?

I'm also curious as to what changes they've made since their initial announcement may have had an impact on production as well...

Which brings an interesting question.

since they had a specific number of day one edition in production and "sold" already. does that mean they're now releasing more day one editions for sale in the US as they move the ones from the delayed countries to the US queue. are they stowed away or are they simply putting production of these on emergency stop, to not overproduce and then they will make more day one editions later for those that will get their day one edition at a much later day one :)

I know they're probably just halting production and then starting it again later, still funny to get a day one edition at a later date :)

On one of Major Nelson's podcast they had Whitten on and he says that they are currently doing internal beta testing on finalized hardware (about 10 or so units that MS staff only, hvpave access to). But the X1 itself, probably has NOT gone into mass production yet.

I believe that mass production goes Alpha soon, probably around end of August or no later than 2nd week of september. Phil Spencer was on Major Nelson's show this week and says he has just received a finalized X1 (even with the 53mhz increase on the GPU) and staff are doing all fiddling around to find bugs and such.

How many units can be produced in 2-3 months time?