Edgar Wright talks 'Ant-Man'

shot_15.jpg

"I think it?s just doing its own thing in the accepted history but it's still part of the other movies and always was," Edgar Wright said when asked about where exactly Ant-Man fits into the Marvel Cinematic Universe after numerous delays. While there have been reports that part of the movie will take place in the past (featuring Hank Pym in the 70s and Scott Lang in the present day), we don't know exactly what has happened to the screenplay since or whether we should expect to see the character appear in the third installment of The Avengers franchise. "In the time I?ve been working on it other things have happened in the other movies that could be affected in this. It is pretty standalone in the way we?re linking it to the others. I like to make it standalone because I think the premise of it needs time. I want to put the crazy premise of it into a real world, which is why I think "Iron Man" really works because it?s a relatively simple universe; it?s relatable. I definitely want to go into finding a streamlined format where you use the origin format to introduce the main character and further adventures can bring other people into it. I?m a big believer in keeping it relatively simple and Marvel agrees on that front."

All of Wright's previous movies - including Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - have been comedic in terms of tone, so when asked whether or not Ant-Man will follow in the footsteps of that, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End, he added: "It's hard to say, my head?s still in 'World?s End.' I think it?s funny?I wouldn?t say it has any of the comedy that is in my previous but I think it?ll be in a different vein. There?ll be less swearing in it." Finally, the writer and director was asked to share his thoughts on J.J. Abrams' apparent decision to bring back some of the original cast members for Star Wars Episode VII. "I think it's more than okay to have the stars of the previous movies appear as elders and I don't think they will be the leads. I think it's just about passing the torch. I guess the proposed spin-off movies could go off into complete new worlds. I am a big fan of 4, 5 and 6, so I'm intrigued as to what J.J. does with 7."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/interview-edgar-wright-talks-about-the-worlds-end-ending-the-cornetto-trilogy-and-offers-updates-on-ant-man-collider-night-stalker-and-his-horror-movie-20130820

I'm really looking forward to this film. And his idea behind it great too, to set it up as a standalone movie and over the course of the films have it link with the other films.

I'm really looking forward to this film. And his idea behind it great too, to set it up as a standalone movie and over the course of the films have it link with the other films.

Yeah the teaser footage he presented was amazing, got me really hyped for it

Yeah the teaser footage he presented was amazing, got me really hyped for it

Same here. I really hope that the film is going to be similar!

• 1 month later...

http://superherohype.com/news/articles/179535-edgar-wright-teases-ant-man-with-a-new-behind-the-scenes-image

Leave it to Edgar Wright to know how to tease fans online. Moments ago, the The World's End helmer posted an image to his Twitter account that shows off a behind-the-scenes look at his upcoming Ant-Man. Check it out below!

"Now I'm back in LA," he writes, "it's high time to finish a little something I've been working on..."

As to what this means for the July 31, 2015 release remains to be seen. We're still not sure if the lead role has been cast or if this is some sort of special effects test, but it's certainly set to whet fans' appetites.

The film, which is supposed to launch "Phase Three" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, will follow Avengers: Age of Ultron's May 1, 2015 release. Wright is directing from a script that he has co-written with Joe Cornish (Attack the Block).

ant-man.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...