• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 15:44

Source: http://allthingsd.co...TD_yahoo_ticker

Lenovo has agreed to preload onto all of its new PCs the full range of SweetLabs’ Pokki software, which tweaks the Windows operating system, the companies announced today.

The deal is the second major OEM partnership this summer for Pokki, which runs a platform for installing and using Windows apps, making the desktop experience feel more like a mobile one. Back in June, Acer began preloading a Pokki-powered game “arcade” onto all of its new PCs.

Today’s announcement is broader than that, though. Under the Pokki brand, SweetLabs makes the games launcher, a custom Start menu that launches apps via a mobile-esque interface, and an app store for discovering new apps. All of those products will be bundled together in the Lenovo deal.

#2 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,030 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 15:49

More crud for people to uninstall from their new laptops...

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,244 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 15:52

Well, guess I shan't be buying a Lenovo laptop then, which is a shame as they are rock solid.  I could bear this IF it came with user discounts.

#4 Lirodon

Lirodon

Neowinian

• 150 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:03

Pokki gives you a Start button too...

but will this matter with 8.1 around the corner?

#5 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,806 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:28

What does Tweak the Operating system mean?? I hate crap pre loaded with computers grrr.

#6 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,567 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:31

Well, guess I shan't be buying a Lenovo laptop then, which is a shame as they are rock solid.  I could bear this IF it came with user discounts.

You don't format and create your own install when you get a new machine?

Just curious.. I don't know any techies who keep the original software. When ordering online I request a blank hard drive if possible.

#7 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,162 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:33

more reason why microsoft got in the hardware game.

#8 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,053 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:44

actually since Windows 95 release, MSFT actively forbade OEM to includes/bundling of non-microsoft shell replacements/tweakers.

I guess the Metro UI/Desktop hybrid outlooks is sooo bad that OEM began to disregard that.

#9 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,162 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:58

actually since Windows 95 release, MSFT actively forbade OEM to includes/bundling of non-microsoft shell replacements/tweakers.

I guess the Metro UI/Desktop hybrid outlooks is sooo bad that OEM began to disregard that.

its not a shell replacement.its a taskbar shortcut that opens a start menu looking window. this is kind of like the samsung s menu.

of course they cant put this in the bottom left corner in windows 8.1,and thats probably why microsoft put the button back in in the first place.

#10 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,037 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:01

its not a shell replacement.its a taskbar shortcut that opens a start menu looking window. this is kind of like the samsung s menu.

of course they cant put this in the bottom left corner in windows 8.1,and thats probably why microsoft put the button back in in the first place.

Semi-untrue.  If the fake start menu was placed over top of the one MS is adding it.. it is possible.   I remember back when I thought coding viruses and RAT tools was the cool thing to do, I would create an invisible window overtop of the users start button.  This prevented them from clicking start. 

#11 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,162 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:06

Semi-untrue.  If the fake start menu was placed over top of the one MS is adding it.. it is possible.   I remember back when I thought coding viruses and RAT tools was the cool thing to do, I would create an invisible window overtop of the users start button.  This prevented them from clicking start. 

of course its possible to do,but blocking the start button is probably not allowed in the oem windows license agreement. the current solution of using a shortcut in the taskbar and running an application is perfectly legit,as it is just like any other applications.

#12 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:25

I'm guessing this junk won't be included on their business PCs/Laptops

#13 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:37

More crud for people to uninstall from their new laptops...

Maybe but I liked their start menu well enough and their app store was rather clever.

#14 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

• 579 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:44

This is why as soon as a new pc arrives, we wipe it and reload a clean image onto it.  Who actually uses the preloaded garbage?

#15 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,030 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 20:26

This is why as soon as a new pc arrives, we wipe it and reload a clean image onto it.  Who actually uses the preloaded garbage?

Mr & Mrs Average Joe, 95% of the consumer base for these sort of machines, don't have a bloody clue how to do any of that.