ps4 sony

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#16 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2013 - 18:28

I don't recall much negative press about it. Demoing on PC at e3 has been the norm for many years now. The e3 demo of Halo 2 was running on PC too.

But i do recall some fans saying One games were looking better than PS4 games and people telling them pretty much all the games were running on PC at e3 so it did not really matter.

We'll see when the real games hit the stores.

There was a lot (even a Neowin FPN) and it was largely inaccurate (only 1 game Lococyle used PCs and the dev readily admitted to it). It is still referred as an evidence of XB1's weakness every now and then,

see this (and note the timestamps),

X1 demos were running on high powered PCs.

Here's the accusation,

http://www.cinemable...ards-56737.html

Here's the response:
http://www.cinemable...Kits-56834.html

There's also this 'games reporter' noting that some demo kiosks crashed to a standard-issue Windows desktop (like what you'd have on a PC) rather than what you'd get for a console running Windows 8. https://twitter.com/...967744808185857

One developer responded saying "We just didn't have time to make Xbox1-native versions so we just ran the PC version because we wanted to showcase our game."

-- so, what's the summary? --
We know for sure the demos weren't running all running on XBox One hardware. Some of it was explained to be running on 'pc hardware similar to an xbox one -- development kits' and that despite their considerably more powerful hardware, the machines should have performance similar to the shipping consumer version of the XBox One. Other demos just were the desktop PC version running on pretty good quality hardware because that's all the developer had to showcase.

Make of that what you will.

Nothing was blown out of proportion.

It's just that some people were religiously hurt when the news came out. Whether first party, second party or third party doesn't matter.

I just hope both consoles run games at slightly higher resolution than 720p at least.

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 August 2013 - 18:35

Was there negative press and negative internet chatter regarding the X1 games being demoed on PCs  vs the PS4?  There sure was.

Is it a bad thing if a console's games are demoed on a pc?  Not if its an accurate display.

Basically, this is not an issue, but I get why some would like to point out the fact that the ps4 was also not showing everything on actual hardware.  The only 'issue' was the unfair way the topic has been portrayed.  This just illustrates the reality behind all the bs.

New gaming consoles in the modern era rely on PCs to demo content before a final retail kit is available.  Sony and MS are following that pattern.

#18 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 18:46

iBcTPDhrbSX7B.gif

Xbox-One-Games-at-E3-Ran-on-Windows-7-PC

#19 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 August 2013 - 18:55

Xbox-One-Games-at-E3-Ran-on-Windows-7-PC

Yes, both consoles had demos of content running on PCs.

I know there is some argument over how many X1 or PS4 demos were shown on pc units, but there is no denying that BOTH are doing it.

Oh and its not a bad thing.  It wasn't a bad thing when only the X1 was singled out and its not a bad thing now.  Next subject please.

#20 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:01

This console war seems to be taking an interesting twist, I honestly hope they sort any problems they have prior to launch. I have yet to see anything from the PS4 that actually makes me want one.

Also to the guy posting PC pictures at X1 booths, how many times do people have to say it was only LocoCycle at E3 on a PC because it hadn't been ported over to the X1. Do people not take information which doesn't line up with their opinion?

#21 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:29

This is so laughable... As it has been stated many times over, a TON of demos are done on PC's closely spec'd to the console they will be ported over to.

I guess people feel good about their gif's and crap like that...

Games will be fine on both the Xbox One and PS4.  People really want the 'gaming' aspect to more that what it will be I guess...

Indies want so desperately to be the determining factor this generation, but I can almost see them being in the same role, they were this generation (no a bad thing.  but will not be bigger than what they think)....

All the other GOODIES outside of gaming, and how they enhance gaming and such will get peoples attention.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:01

How is this news? XBox 360 ran on an Apple G5 when they were first demoed. Seems like this is common now...

First demoed wasn't 3 months before  release though ;)

#23 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:13

There were definitely games running on Xbox One hardware at GamesCom. I played many of them, like Killer Instinct and Peggle 2 for example.

And the PS4 even won the best console at GamesCom award, what a scam.

#24 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:18

The XB1 will be that good.

And people are trying really hard to get MS to fail...

Microsoft always seem to be 3 steps ahead (though MS sucks at explaining their forward thinking) and people are trying like nuts to trip them up.

#25 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:26

Microsoft always seem to be 3 steps ahead (though MS sucks at explaining their forward thinking) and people are trying like nuts to trip them up.

All things being equal, then wouldn't they have released their new console last year? Being that the 360 came out a year before the PS3.

#26 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:29

Highly doubt the above image is real because the PS4 development is for a linux host and therefore would need to be completely ported over to run on windows plus would need drivers writing for windows, and doing the first is just plain stupid and the latter before the hardware is final is stupid.

#27 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:33

All things being equal, then wouldn't they have released their new console last year? Being that the 360 came out a year before the PS3.

Forward thinking and speed are 2 different things.  Some innovations can be done quickly... Some innovations can take time...

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 August 2013 - 21:12

Highly doubt the above image is real because the PS4 development is for a linux host and therefore would need to be completely ported over to run on windows plus would need drivers writing for windows, and doing the first is just plain stupid and the latter before the hardware is final is stupid.

seriously.... firstly it doesn't actually run linux as such. secondly, most developers run on windows. that's what they use when they develop and that's what they use when they test the game before they test on the final hardware or dev kit. 

#29 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2013 - 21:14

Last I heard, PS4 dev tools are based on Visual studio.

#30 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 28 August 2013 - 21:29

From digitalfoundry's review of E3

However, these early slices of gameplay are telling of where Microsoft stands in its preparations for that eventual launch day. The biggest shock remains in how few of these games are actually running directly from console hardware right now, with almost every third-party developer openly admitting to a reliance on PC-based debug machines. 

http://www.eurogamer...n-with-xbox-one

We leave Sony's E3 booth undoubtedly impressed, with two key takeaways in light of the Xbox One's rivalling offerings. Firstly, though almost all launch titles on show appear to be running directly from PS4 hardware, it's a touch disappointing to discover the likes of Thief and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag are only currently being demonstrated by proxy of an on-hand developer. This was a very closely guarded event indeed, suggesting a lack of confidence in the progress of development for some of these titles. Even so, Knack, DriveClub and Warframe do give us absolute, no-holds barred freedom to toy with the most current builds as long as we please.

http://www.eurogamer...h-playstation-4