android windows phone

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:30

I don't have any problems downloading from the Play Store..

700k over the lifetime of the market.  700k currently would mean the majority of the apps are malware...which isnt so.

#17 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:39

Phone choice is subjective, you should choose what phone and OS you like. Android, iOS and Windows phone os offer different features, kinds of apps and more.

#18 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:42

I'm sure you will get the standard:

Root it
Unlock the Loader
Flash a Custom Rom

And while I did all that on my phone, and would recommend it.. I would suggest going to xda-developers.com and reading their forums.

I find the stock ROM of my Nexus4 to be perfectly fine. 

Nothing wrong with flashing something else, but I don't think it's a must on this device.

#19 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:48

As an android user who's getting bored of android, may I ask what phone you used to have?
Nothing wrong with android, just personally I miss a mobile os that no longer exists.
Please could you spare a minute to tell me what the down side of windows phone and model was for you
You can pm me this information if you would prefer.

#20 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Neowinian

• Phone: Yes. Galaxy S4

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:10

Congratulations on creating a topic about switching and WELCOME to Android!

Suggestions-

Customize everything you possibly can. This is what Android is all about. No need for boring squares with no background and basic colors when you can have animated wallpaper, glossy icons and krazy widgetz!

Utilize all 4 cores. If you don't, you're better off with an iPhone.

Purchase an extra battery. Power users use power.

Choose wisely: 700,000 high risk apps are waiting for you in the Play Store.

Again, watch out for malware!

Spend plenty of time researching Android as you tinker with it. You will develop a mutual relationship with your phone as it controls you as much as you control it.

Keep your Windows Phone around in case you screw up your Android while tinkering with it.

Could you try and be alittle more misleading? This wasn't misleading enough. Even the headline on that page states

More than 700,000 malicious Android apps wreak havoc on the web

Then goes on to say "Malicious apps, some of which can be found on the Google Play Store, could steal your personal information"

The fact is if you ONLY get your apps from the play store then you couldn't be much safer. It's when you allow your phone to install from unkown  sources you really open yourself to this. :rolleyes: 

#21 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 83

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:13

TBH I'm pretty ###### I spent €150 on a Lumia 520 only to find out the Nexus 4 is only €199 now lol, oh well.

#22 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:15

The Google Music app is awesome. You can upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud and access it anywhere online using the google music app. You can simply be work and go to google music on the web and listen to your whole library on the cloud :)

Chrome is awesome..no worries about losing your favorite websites. as long as you are signed in lol

#23 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19

I recommend trying new launchers. A launcher is like a new homescreen, a UI replacement basically. Some launchers to try are Nova Launcher and Smart Launcher. I love Smart Launcher. It is extremely quick to get places, and the pro version (paid) version allows for widgets. 

Weather: Beautiful Widgets or HD Widgets (I think both paid)

News: Flipboard (free)

Reddit: BaconReader (free/paid)

Convertbee for converting between units (free)

An awesome feature is you can browse Android apps on the Google Play website, and once you sign in with your device into Google, you can download apps from the website and it will install on your phone instantly. You can also browse through the app store on the phone. 

#24 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Neowinian

• Phone: Yes. Galaxy S4

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19

And you can get a free month then £7.99 per month (set to rise to £9.99 after 15th Sept.)

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:18

As an android user who's getting bored of android, may I ask what phone you used to have?
Nothing wrong with android, just personally I miss a mobile os that no longer exists.
Please could you spare a minute to tell me what the down side of windows phone and model was for you
You can pm me this information if you would prefer.

Umm...didn't Nokia launch 515 just for you? :p

http://www.nokia.com...ducts/phone/515

Nokia-515-jpg.jpg

#26 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:44

The Google Music app is awesome. You can upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud and access it anywhere online using the google music app. You can simply be work and go to google music on the web and listen to your whole library on the cloud :)

Chrome is awesome..no worries about losing your favorite websites. as long as you are signed in lol

I agree. It's nice having everything tied together so well.

#27 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:50

Kudos!

However , I would like to say if you didn't make use of live tiles , then you probably were doing it wrong. And I feel that apps in WP, even the unofficial ones , are much more superior in quality when compared to official ones in other platforms.
Anyways , if I didn't love WP and Nokia so much , I too would have gone for Nexus 4 , pretty safe and solid device to have in the android world :)

#28 OP acido00

acido00

Software Developer

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:21

Thanks for all suggestions..

I started to download software and all stuff :) getting documentation.

One small question: I saw that the Winamp can connect with my Android? is it good? any alternative?

And yeah! I plan to use the PlayStore for all apps, to avoid any kind of virus or something like that.

#29 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:33

Congratulations on creating a topic about switching and WELCOME to Android!

Suggestions-

Customize everything you possibly can. This is what Android is all about. No need for boring squares with no background and basic colors when you can have animated wallpaper, glossy icons and krazy widgetz!

Utilize all 4 cores. If you don't, you're better off with an iPhone.

Purchase an extra battery. Power users use power.

Choose wisely: 700,000 high risk apps are waiting for you in the Play Store.

Again, watch out for malware!

Spend plenty of time researching Android as you tinker with it. You will develop a mutual relationship with your phone as it controls you as much as you control it.

Keep your Windows Phone around in case you screw up your Android while tinkering with it.

Stats are a victim of misunderstanding.

http://www.neowin.ne...s-are-exploding

Here, it says malware was downloaded 700,000 times.

Trend Micro numbers suggest that Bouncer, the security feature that Google advertised as a reliable protection for the Android ecosystem and marketplace (Play), has been pretty ineffective: during the second quarter 17 malicious apps were delivered via Google Play, and users downloaded them 700,000 times before their removal.

http://www.neowin.ne...pps-are-malware

Here, only 68,740 were on the Play Store.

From over 2 million applications analyzed, Trend Micro found 293,091 of them to be outright malicious, while a further 150,203 were deemed to be "high risk", contributing to a grand total of 443,294 dodgy applications for the platform. Of the 293,091 malicious apps, 68,740 of them were sourced directly from the Google Play Store; as the Store currently has around 700,000 apps, that roughly equates to 1 in every 10 apps being malicious.

This 700,000 figure seems to be a favorite for Trend Micro.  However, nowhere does it say 700k baddies are waiting on the Play Store...

#30 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:37

I got my iPhone4s back out and put my Samsung ativs away as I kept hitting "," instead of space and i just couldn't get used to the keyboard. I used it for about 3/4 months