Lou Ferrigno: 'I was the best Hulk'

Incredible Hulk actor Lou Ferrigno has insisted that his portrayal of the Marvel Comics character was the definitive one.

The retired bodybuilder said that his ability to show emotions under the layers of make-up has never been duplicated by his successors.

"The truth is, I've been the Hulk my whole life," he told The LA Times. "The Hulk was the beginning of me, a platform as an actor to grow.

"I don't think anybody else can play the Hulk like I could. I was able to show emotions even with all of the makeup. I don't think it can be duplicated."

Ferrigno starred as Dr David Banner's alter ego in the CBS television show between 1977 and 1982, appearing in 82 episodes over five seasons, as well as made-for-TV movies.

Eric Bana, Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo have portrayed the character in recent years, with Ferrigno making cameo appearances in the Marvel Studios cinematic projects.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a512309/lou-ferrigno-i-was-the-best-incredible-hulk.html

As somebody old enough to remember the show, I would agree, partly on the basis that the special effects could have killed him.

(Lifting cars as if to throw, cable could have broke etcc)

• Like 2

He may have a point. Twice Mr. Universe, and still the image I get in my mind of the Hulk when I think of the non-cartoon version.

• Like 3

Hopefully he is joking about this?

Edward Norton was the best Hulk.

Lou Ferrigno was a dude in green paint.

Then Norton was never the Hulk. He was a dude in a mocap suit.

Ferrigno didn't need CGI to look the part.

Ferigno deserves a lot of respect for his many accomplishments. He's a great achiever and has overcome a lot.

Having seen him no the Celebrity Apprentice, though, I have to say he has a bit of a victim complex. I also think "the Hulk" is a bit too much of his persona. He tried to bring it into almost everything he did.  I know he's not a one trick pony. Perhaps he doesn't know that though.

-Forjo

• Like 2

Loved the show when it was on.  And I tend to agree, for something mindless like the hulk he did play it as a fairly deep character.  The CGI stuff looks awesome, but you just don't connect with it.  Kind of like the puppet yoda vs the CGI.  The real thing is just better somehow.

• Like 3

We hasn't the best Hulk, he was the ONLY Hulk! The rest are CGI. Long live Ferrigno!

• Like 3

I never really understood the point of the Hulk until I saw Mark Ruffalo's version in The Avengers.  I'm not sure I'd want to sit through a whole movie about it though.

The 70's TV series was really pretty rubbish.  The Greatest American Hero was infinitely better ;)

I have to agree with Ferrigno--especially considering he portrayed the Hulk in an era without CGI or any of the other new technologies.

We hasn't the best Hulk, he was the ONLY Hulk! The rest are CGI. Long live Ferrigno!

Considering that technically he was the only Hulk...

I agree with the above, he was and always will be The Hulk 

• Like 1

I agree with the above, he was and always will be The Hulk 

Yes, he was, and always will be. And, I've often said that Bill Bixby's line in the intro,

"Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" is the biggest understatement in the history of episodic television. :)

Lou has a point.  He didnt need CGI and a ton of special effects to portray the Hulk.  (and from reading other comments I am not the only one who thinks so)

Same with a lot of superhero movies.  1/2 of more of the part is played by a computer effects.  Acting has gotten lazy and why there will never be as good of actors now, as there once were.

• Like 1

I should probably clarify. Technically he's the only person to ever really play the Hulk. So that makes him the best... and the worst. A CGI version seems necessary to pull off the size, strength and mobility of the Hulk. I thought the Avengers version was perfect.

• Like 1