UNION TOWNSHIP, Ohio — A Clermont County family's holiday weekend came to an abrupt end when their house burst into flames while a cable technician was installing DirecTV Monday afternoon.
The incident happened just before 2:30 p.m. in the 3800 block of Michael Drive in Union Township.
Kendra and Michael Hicks originally intended to take their children to Coney Island for Labor Day, but their plans changed when they saw smoke fill their home.
"The next thing we knew there was smoke on the roof and flames, it was crazy," said Kendra.
The couple wanted to switch from Time Warner to DirecTV so they scheduled for a technician to make the change.
"I heard a pop noise and then we heard another pop noise, then we saw smoke and my husband was like, 'Get the kids, get the kids,' and then the DirecTV guy went around the corner, and said, 'Do you have a fire extinguisher?' and that's the last we heard from him," said Kendra.
The Union Township Fire Department said the fire started when the cable technician was drilling through a wall in the garage and then struck a main power line.
"If I would have known that it was smoke and not dry wall dust, I would have said 'Stop,' but it happened so fast," said Michael.
While their home suffered from minor damage, the couple is in disbelief they haven't received an apology from the company or the employee.
"He has called once since it happened, and he was trying to give me information, he never really said sorry, we haven't heard from the DirecTV company itself," said Kendra.
The Hicks' insurance company is handling everything for now, the pair said.
"I'm upset that the house is damaged, but I'm more upset he didn't say anything to us," said Michael.
The DirecTV technician pulled up to the Hicks' house when 9 On Your Side was at the Hicks' home Monday night. The employee said the fire was an accident, and that his insurance would take care of the damage.
The Hicks are staying at a hotel until their home is repaired.
An estimate for the damage is not known at this time.