Photo

Windows 8.1 RTM; Anyone With These Issues?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:06

So, who decided to test the RTM waters? Wondering if anyone has ran in to a similar issue as mine. 

I installed 8.1 RTM on a Desktop and it ran perfectly for a few hours. All of a sudden, it started slowing down, badly. It too a long time for windows to switch and key presses to resolve. I thought something funky was going on so I forced it off and on.

When it boot it took a long time and eventually BSOD with a "CRITICAL_ERROR". 

I had to re-install the RTM which went well until boot, but everything was still slow. When I finally logged in again it wiped all my Windows.OLD folders (ie. all other folders besides personal docs where gone now). 

Everything was still taking a long time to resolve. When I got to the Event Viewer, it had a bunch of warnings of things taking longer than expected. Between 20-130 seconds for some events.

Even know, things are moving sluggishly. Like there's some heavy process always working. I'm not sure if it's a driver issue or if my HDD has started to fail independent (I have a Linux dual boot and it runs fine). 

So has anyone who's ventured to test RTM seen similar issues?

#2 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:11

I haven't encountered anything like that here and I upgraded from the 8.1 Preview. If it's potentially a HDD issue then you might want to install CrystalDisk Info and see if it gives you any warning indicators, though if Linux works fine that seems unlikely.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:13

sounds like it might be a hardware related issue to me

have you tried a clean install? formatting completely and reinstalling?

what are the errors and warnings you're getting in event viewer?

#4 OP parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2013 - 17:02

sounds like it might be a hardware related issue to me

have you tried a clean install? formatting completely and reinstalling?

what are the errors and warnings you're getting in event viewer?

Well, I did an install maintaining only personal files and shooting everything else over to a Windows.OLD folder. Then after the first weird slowdown I did a Refresh, as neither a system restore and safe-mode boot did not work. So I'm not sure what else it could be. 

As far as Jimmy James's comment, I've installed the same image on several systems. And if there are any such items they haven't shown up on the other systems. They've been smooth as butter for the most part. I'll definitely try that disk utility.... if the machine can manage to go to the site, download it, install it, and run it, seems all of that should be a good 2 hours or so the way it's been moving.

#5 OP parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2013 - 17:24

I thought maybe it was SATA controller driver issues, but I notice you're on the same board as my via your sig. So I guess it should all be good. Unless I'm using the "wrong" SATA port. I'm hoping it's not the drive, but will run the utility after work. I already ran the Linux memory check and my RAM seems healthy. 

#6 OP parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:24

Well as an update. I ran the disk utility, all seemed good (from what I could understand of it) except for a yellow on high access/spinning. I decided to do a de-fragmentation and it ran for a good 8~10 hours. Woke up, it seemed smoother. Rebooted, and it was back to booting quickly again. However it went right back to sputtering after log in. I really have no clue what the cause could be.

Any further help would be appreciated, I'll keep trying my hand at it and re-post of I find a solution or cause... 

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:40

Damn, Microsoft released 8.1? I thought it wasn't due until next month...

#8 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:44

You could try going into power options and selecting the 'High Performance' mode and then under advanced settings set the hard disk to never power down. It's possible that power saving features are interfering, though it's a bit of a long shot.

Have you installed the motherboard drivers for the chipset? If you're experiencing I/O related issues then that might be a contender. If that doesn't help then I'd suspect your HDD is failing and yellow warnings in CrystalDisk Info would support that.

#9 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:46

First thing first. Is your display driver WHQL? Install any WHQL driver. The one for Windows 8.0 will do as well. Do not install preview/beta drivers.

Your's is 90% driver related issue and 10% incompatible software.

#10 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 14:50

I have the weird, faded text views on IE and folders. I'm assuming it's driver-related since I saw the same thing in the Preview version.

#11 OP parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:34

You could try going into power options and selecting the 'High Performance' mode and then under advanced settings set the hard disk to never power down. It's possible that power saving features are interfering, though it's a bit of a long shot.

Have you installed the motherboard drivers for the chipset? If you're experiencing I/O related issues then that might be a contender. If that doesn't help then I'd suspect your HDD is failing and yellow warnings in CrystalDisk Info would support that.

Thing is, It's my desktop. I'm not sure these settings would be of use, as they are set by default this way, no? Could a few bad sectors really cause these massive slow down issues? I ran Crystal software had a warning of 00000005 under C5. I ran a CheckDisk and now it's a value of 000000CD. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it probably is my drive. 

I did update my chip set drivers, the most recent being from Dec. 2012. I'm really wondering if it's a HW situation. I'm going to contact Newegg about an RMA, but I dunno.

#12 +Bamsebjørn

Bamsebjørn

Neowinian Teddy Bear

• Phone: Sony Xperia Tipo

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:37

Sometimes one of my screens won't come on. I have two DVI screens, one VGA and one USB screen. When the USB screen is connected, one of the DVI screens won't come on. I have to turn it off and on again (golden tip any time).

I think that's a NVidia driver issue though...

#13 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:41

Thing is, It's my desktop. I'm not sure these settings would be of use, as they are set by default this way, no? Could a few bad sectors really cause these massive slow down issues?

Hardware failures are unpredictable, especially when related to HDDs. Currently I have three drives showing up as yellow with CrystalDisk Info - two of them are performing fine but one I'm certain is failing given the symptoms. In my case the error is located in C5, which is the 'Current Pending Sector Count'.

To eliminate hardware issues you should rollback to Windows 8 and see if the same issues are present. While there aren't many significant changes between 8.0 and 8.1 it's still a good idea to rule out 8.1 being the issue here.

#14 OP parkenshaw

parkenshaw

Neowinian

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:08

Hardware failures are unpredictable, especially when related to HDDs. Currently I have three drives showing up as yellow with CrystalDisk Info - two of them are performing fine but one I'm certain is failing given the symptoms. In my case the error is located in C5, which is the 'Current Pending Sector Count'.

To eliminate hardware issues you should rollback to Windows 8 and see if the same issues are present. While there aren't many significant changes between 8.0 and 8.1 it's still a good idea to rule out 8.1 being the issue here.

Yea, this is what I wanted to avoid checking. But I think it's the best idea. I'm afraid to install stuff on the offchance things are indeed messed up, and not a simple driver error. I'll try that over the weekend and report back. If it's an 8.1 issue, people'd like to know, if it's my issue, it'll clear up the post. 

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:20

Yea, this is what I wanted to avoid checking. But I think it's the best idea. I'm afraid to install stuff on the offchance things are indeed messed up, and not a simple driver error. I'll try that over the weekend and report back. If it's an 8.1 issue, people'd like to know, if it's my issue, it'll clear up the post. 

Yeah, either way it's good to let people know. I've been in similar situations and it can be incredibly frustrating, especially having to reinstall Windows.