'Stargate' coming back to life with film trilogy reboot

Director Roland Emmerich has revealed that he is prepping a trilogy of new Stargate films meant to reboot the franchise. Originally Emmerich had envisioned Stargate as the first part of a trilogy ? but MGM opted to make Stargate SG-1 instead, which ran for a decade and led to the two additional TV spinoffs.

Now that the franchise has been dormant a few years, Emmerich decided it was time to come back and give it another shot. Though the rebooted trilogy could borrow from some of his original plans, Emmerich was quick to point out that the new films will not be connected to the original Stargate film, noting ?the actors look totally different ... it would not work.?

The films will almost certainly not connect to the SG-1 universe, either, since Emmerich has never really been a huge fan of the small-screen version of the franchise. To this day, he maintains it is not a ?canon? continuation from his film.

Here?s what he told Digital Spy:

?We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-5/finally-stargate-coming-back-live-rebooted-film-trilogy-0

Pass.

I love the Stargate Franchise -- After the film.

Emmerich's stuff, by and large, sucks. 2012? 10,000 BC? The Day After Tomorrow? Independence Day? Ugh.

That's why virtually everything other than the basic premise from the movie was written around in the first couple seasons of SG1.

He is absolutely the last person on the planet to head up a continuation.

I loved it :(

They devoted way too much time to character development for characters that no one cared about.

The main plotline became secondary to character drama. The entire non-character-drama plotline of the first season would have been a two parter on SGA or SG1.

The premise was great, and the second half of the second season was great. It would have been good. They took far too long to get it there, and ****ed over the franchise.

• Like 3

Pass.

Emmerich's stuff, by and large, sucks. 2012? 10,000 BC? The Day After Tomorrow? Independence Day? Ugh.

That's why virtually everything other than the basic premise from the movie was written around in the first couple seasons of SG1.

Most of them I can understand but how could you not like ID?

Pass.

I agree. The movie was not bad but the directing of it was awful. The only reason it was a good movie is because the original idea was really good. A good director would have made a far better movie imo.

They devoted way too much time to character development for characters that no one cared about.

It was the character development that made the show for me.  It was a refreshing change from the two dimensional characters and story lines in Atlantis so I was sorry to see it go. 

I'm not sure how I feel about a reboot.  The original film was pretty good but SG1 (especially the first 5 or 6 seasons) was better and the depiction of the Goa'uld and the Jaffa was much better in the TV show.

Most of them I can understand but how could you not like ID?

It's strange i think the complete opposite. I'm a huge fan of sci fi but there's one thing i'll never understand and it's the cult status of ID. What people actually found so awesome in ID? I think i'll never see the light. To me it remains one of the biggest wasted opportunity of all time along with Pearl Harbor. ID could have been such a great movie but was barely good.

I remember seeing the preview in a theater before watching another movie with my friends. It looked so awesome. I was 19 when i watched it so i was right in the target audience of the movie i should have loved it as a fan of sci fi and fantasy. But strangely it's still to this day in my top 10 most disappointing movies of all time.

Most Emmerich's movies can be summarized this way. Interesting idea badly executed. He should stop directing and focus on producing movies.

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

Also - anyone who didn't like SGU didn't watch S2.

Not a fan of him disowning everything that came after the movie, but as long as its good then I'm ok with it. A new retelling doesn't lessen my love for the rest of the stuff I've already seen.

Wow, that came from nowhere...  I'll definitely give it a shot.  Hopefully it's good.  :)

It won't be. Remember who this is. He can start with a good idea, but it ultimately turns to crap.

He's talked about his thoughts for a second and third movie, and they were never any good.

The series were far better.

• Like 2

It got 2 Seasons so I was happy about that

Aye.  I watched and bought both, but mostly out of a sense of duty and loyalty to stargate ;)

I've yet to see a good reboot. No sir I don't like them. They probably ruin it like Abrams' ruined Star Trek.

Battlestar was a great reboot. But Roland and Dean with Stargate have me worried since they have some weird views on things.

I've yet to see a good reboot. No sir I don't like them. They probably ruin it like Abrams' ruined Star Trek.

Red Dawn was pretty decent.