I'm looking for a good wireless router (with latest and greatest features obviously) which has advanced QoS.
Let me explain what I'm looking for, so that you can give me appropriate recommendations
- I need a router which can essentially breakup available bandwidth into parts and provide it to invidivual computers/devices.
For example, if my total bandwidth is 20 megs, I want the router to split the bandwidth into 10 and 10 and distribute it to 2 computers unconditionally. That way even if another computer is running torrents at 10 megs, I still have 10 megs to play with.
I am planning to use such a condition without any exceptions, however I would appreciate if the router has protocol based QoS too.
QoS is paramount! The more comprehensive the options, the better.
- I'm looking for a minimum wireless speed of 100/150 Mbps, anything higher would be a bonus.
- Please mention if your recommendation has a modem inbuilt. Although modem fuctionality is not essential, I would be happy if it did have it.
- You will definitely ask me what my budget is. Answer is, I'm willing to spill if the router is worth it. That said, please dont point me to a corporate standard router. This is for use at home only.
- A WiFi on/off button, support for guest SSIDs, 5 db antenna, usage logging and monitoring etc would sweeten the pot.
I have searched the forums for similar threads, but none matched my situation enough. If you have any questions, ask away.
Now then, networking gurus of Neowin. Lets begin discussing/debating so that I can decide on something that suits all my needs.
@mods: I have posted this where I felt appropriate. If it is wrongly posted, please do move it wherever necessary.