Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:52

Don't try online update. This offline updater is really good.  :D

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

#122 Ulpian

Ulpian

Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:22

Latest cumulative patch for IE8 solved problem here !

Will I receive "tech issues solved" +1 ;)?

#123 raynerph

raynerph

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 12 November 2013 - 23:52

I've just had the same problem with the November 2013 updates, and svchost at 99%.  And wasted several hours.

Having read the fix ideas, I looked to see if the November updates contain an update for Internet Explorer 8.  There is an update: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=41074

I installed the update.  Rebooted.  Then ran Microsoft Update (I have updates turned "off", but with wuauclt.exe running as a service in the background).

This time the search for updates completed with only a few brief moments of svchost hitting 99%, and then the updates installed OK.

It seems crazy that you have to manually install the November Internet Explorer 8 update, before the update system will automatically find and install the other updates.

I had a lot of difficulty with the September updates too (same problem), but eventually the PC got there.  Whereas the October updates were no problem at all.

I am also running an old XP installation, on a slow (1.6GHz) single core, low memory (1024MB) PC; it's over 8 years old, and has never been re-installed.

#124 richpasco

richpasco

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:59

I am pleased to offer a definitive answer on this issue.

IE8: IE8-WindowsXP-KB2879017-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=40390

I applied this patch a week or so ago and it fixed my "99% CPU" problem on my XP machine until today.  Now, the CPU load goes to 100% with svchost.exe within several minutes of booting, even if I don't do anything else.  If I kill svchost.exe then i have no network connectivity.

#125 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:24

Time to upgrade maybe?

#126 the_etech3

the_etech3

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:56

Thank you raynerph! (post #123)

I also had the same problem.  I wasted several hours trying past fixes with no luck.  After reading your fix, I applied the update: http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=41074

Rebooted and ran Microsoft Update (I also had the updates turned "off") and problem solved.  Thank you.

#127 Ulpian

Ulpian

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:48

KB2879017 I provided was sufficent, just KB2888505 (by raynerph), which is newer, resolves problem also.

#128 richpasco

richpasco

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:31

Time to upgrade maybe?

For your information, this is an XP virtual machine running under Windows 7 Pro, which exists to support those applications and hardware which Windows 7 doesn't.  If Microsoft had been more attentive to supporting legacy applications and hardware, I wouldn't need XP at all.

#129 richpasco

richpasco

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 13:57

A dumb question perhaps, but how do you turn Automatic Updates OFF?  I'm looking at the Microsoft Update home page, and on the right is a green shield with a check-mark in it, beside which are the words "Automatic Updates Turned ON" -- clicking on that does nothing.  Below it is the link "PIck a time to install updates" but there is no link to turn them off.

#130 richpasco

richpasco

Neowinian

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:19

I applied this patch [KB2879017] a week or so ago and it fixed my "99% CPU" problem on my XP machine until today.  Now, the CPU load goes to 100% with svchost.exe within several minutes of booting, even if I don't do anything else.  If I kill svchost.exe then i have no network connectivity.

So I installed KB2888505 today, and it seems to have fixed the problem again--at least for now.  Let's see how long it lasts this time.

#131 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:25

A dumb question perhaps, but how do you turn Automatic Updates OFF?  I'm looking at the Microsoft Update home page, and on the right is a green shield with a check-mark in it, beside which are the words "Automatic Updates Turned ON" -- clicking on that does nothing.  Below it is the link "PIck a time to install updates" but there is no link to turn them off.

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Then its the Auto Update tab.

#132 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 November 2013 - 14:33

For your information, this is an XP virtual machine running under Windows 7 Pro, which exists to support those applications and hardware which Windows 7 doesn't.  If Microsoft had been more attentive to supporting legacy applications and hardware, I wouldn't need XP at all.

Casualties of war. Microsoft first and foremost has a priority to secure their code. Whatever apps that breaks is on the developer to fix. If they don't, then oh well, there's not much Microsoft can do. Eventually somewhere, you have to draw a line where support gets cut off, and move on. You can't support everything forever.

#133 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:27

I personally wouldn't blame Microsoft for lazy software developers, but that's just me.  And common sense.

#134 troxy

troxy

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:20

This problem also occurs on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009.

Mainstream support will end in April 2014 and extended support in April 2019.

Microsoft needs to fix this.

#135 robotjones

robotjones

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 14 November 2013 - 14:47

Just joined to report my experiences with this. And hopefully help someone battling the same problems...

First run into the problem at the end of last month, on a clean XP SP3 Pro install, same symptoms as reported when wuauclt.exe is run svchost stuck running the CPU at 99%. Clearing SoftwareDeployment folder, running offline updates, and many other solutions didnt help me at all. Disabling Automatic Updates does work but its not an option in my place of work at this is dictated by GPOs, so its just re-enabled when a domain user logs in.

Fixed it at the time by installing IE8 (selecting NOT to install updates) then installing KB2879017-x86-ENU.exe IE updates. WSUS then worked as expected afterwards.

Now the past two days ive been dealing with another machine, with same problem. The updates above did not help. but repeating the same process and installing KB2888505-x86-ENU.exe in place of old updates solved the problem for me.

Seems KB2888505 has likely superseded KB2879017. Be interesting to see if the problem occurs again when the next IE update is out.