microsoft tablets pc windows

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,051 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:40

Hmmm tablets can't replace laptops or desktops... Or maybe they can replace both and then some.

Surface pro tablet.
- read news in the morning, check some mail
- fix some word or excel documents on the way to work.
- at work dock it, and use it with a big screen monitor and keyboard and mouse
- finish working on the documents and do some pre viz renders in 3dsmax
- undock surface and bring to presentation meeting.
- show off the documentation and renders pre-viz directly from the tablet to the projector.
- on the way home, stop and the park open the auto desk real painting app, and do some sketching/painting with the proper pressure sensitive digitizer tablet.
- stop by the shop on the way home and check your shopping list on the tablet.
- cook dinner from a recipe on the tablet
- remote in to work to fix some mistakes
- play some games
- do some surfing while your wife watches something boring on tv.

Seems like a surface pro can replace a PC for anyone but a core gamer to me, and then, a tablet plus a Xbox is a much cheaper and better investment then anyway in most cases.

No need to wait 10 years.

Everything you detailed can be done on a 300 dollar Walmart special laptop.

Surface Pro starts at 799.00.

Xbox is what, 299?

So 1100 dollars for your solution.  That could buy you a single laptop with a decent GPU and it could do all of the above instead of spreading out across multiple devices.

Not seeing validity in the much cheaper comment.

Edit:  For example

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834300195

#17 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:43

They should absolutely plan for the future however trying to marry an obvious tablet interface with a traditional PC isn't working out too well for them and as a result the traditional PC is slowly being destroyed.

This is a transition period and Microsoft has to plan for the future while supporting the past. I agree that Windows 8 hasn't worked out as well as MS would have liked, but MS has a tradition of taking two or three iterations to get things right.

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:46

a windows tablet is a pc. its just another form factor,therefore I fail to see how it will cannibalize pc sales, in fact, it helps the pc market.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,246 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:52

Everything you detailed can be done on a 300 dollar Walmart special laptop.

Surface Pro starts at 799.00.
Xbox is what, 299?

So 1100 dollars for your solution.  That could buy you a single laptop with a decent GPU and it could do all of the above instead of spreading out across multiple devices.

Not seeing validity in the much cheaper comment.

Edit:  For example
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834300195

Really it can. I can just whip out a laptop and easily work on it in a public transport or in a passenger seat... Umm nope.
That 300 dollar laptop not only comes with a though screen but a Wacom digitizer compatible with Wacom high end accessories like the airbrush? Wow. You must show me this laptop.
This laptop comes with a quality non TN screen that not only has good colors but is also bright and visible in daylight ?

You still need an Xbox with that laptop that has a ###### graphics card, sure the current gen surface pro only has a HD4000m still beats that 300 dollar craptop.

It's not just about cheaper, it's about convenience and capability, your solution has neither.

I'd also like to see you read news and check mail with the laptop at the breakfast table. Never mind walking around the shop picking p groceries using the laptop as your shopping list.

#20 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,051 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:55

Really it can. I can just whip out a laptop and easily work on it in a public transport or in a passenger seat... Umm nope.
That 300 dollar laptop not only comes with a though screen but a Wacom digitizer compatible with Wacom high end accessories like the airbrush? Wow. You must show me this laptop.
This laptop comes with a quality non TN screen that not only has good colors but is also bright and visible in daylight ?

You still need an Xbox with that laptop that has a ****ty graphics card, sure the current gen surface pro only has a HD4000m still beats that 300 dollar craptop.

It's not just about cheaper, it's about convenience and capability, your solution has neither.

I'd also like to see you read news and check mail with the laptop at the breakfast table. Never mind walking around the shop picking p groceries using the laptop as your shopping list.

It was just an example.  There are plenty sub 1100 dollar laptops out there with good video cards.

Hell, I could say cheap laptop and xbox and still not see your point on your example being cheaper.

All you have done here is show that there are different needs for laptops, tablets, PCs, and game consoles.

This was never an argument.  The argument is that tablets cannot replace PCs for everyone at this time, and that is a fact.

#21 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:57

Agreed, tablets go only so far concercing productivity... Yes they can be used for autocad, powerpoint, the likes, but they simply won't ever match the ease and performance of using a PC

The problem is most consumers without teens going to school don't need those.

We are looking at PC sales here. As in Personal Computer. We are not looking at workstations or servers inside companies or schools.

In the consumer market lot of people don't actually really need a computer over a tablet. Most people here posting on the forum are pros. We use our personal computer to work. And most of us still upgrade it every 3 years or so. But we represent only a fraction of the consumer market.

Tablets wont kill the personal computer star. And the traditional desktop computer and laptop will remain strong inside companies and even schools. But saying the tablets/smart phones/smart TVs wont significantly affect the consumer market is kind of foolish imo.

#22 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:01

Windows Tablets would have to actually sell before they could cannibalize anything.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,246 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:01

It was just an example. There are plenty sub 1100 dollar laptops out there with good video cards.

Hell, I could say cheap laptop and xbox and still not see your point on your example being cheaper.

All you have done here is show that there are different needs for laptops, tablets, PCs, and game consoles.

This was never an argument. The argument is that tablets cannot replace PCs for everyone at this time, and that is a fact.

Again, never in my first post did I use cheaper as an argument. Let go of the straw man.

And actually no. Way I showed is that a single more convenient device can replace a PC for all tasks except heavy gaming, and be able to do a whole lot more at the same time.

#24 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,051 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:04

Again, never in my first post did I use cheaper as an argument. Let go of the straw man.

And actually no. Way I showed is that a single more convenient device can replace a PC for all tasks except heavy gaming, and be able to do a whole lot more at the same time.

For it to be a straw man, you first have to not have said it.

Seems like a surface pro can replace a PC for anyone but a core gamer to me, and then, a tablet plus a Xbox is a much cheaper and better investment then anyway in most cases.

No need to wait 10 years.

#25 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:13

I now own 3 tablets, and absolutely never would consider replacing my PCs with them. Maybe if all you do is update your Facebook status it could replace it, but otherwise it won't ever happen.

Phones will replace PCs though, but that's still a ways out. In time our phones will be our computers. We'll drop them in a dock and they'll come up on a big screen with a keyboard and mouse and be every bit as powerful as the computers we have now. Perhaps around this time we'll see wireless touch displays that can connect to your Phoneputer and act like a tablet, but tablets themselves won't replace PCs ever.

#26 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:27

Phones will replace PCs though, but that's still a ways out. In time our phones will be our computers. We'll drop them in a dock and they'll come up on a big screen with a keyboard and mouse and be every bit as powerful as the computers we have now.

the future is cloud powered computing.eventually there will be robust,fast and affordable infrastructure to support this.

#27 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,909 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 20:28

The problem is most consumers without teens going to school don't need those.

We are looking at PC sales here. As in Personal Computer. We are not looking at workstations or servers inside companies or schools.

In the consumer market lot of people don't actually really need a computer over a tablet. Most people here posting on the forum are pros. We use our personal computer to work. And most of us still upgrade it every 3 years or so. But we represent only a fraction of the consumer market.

Tablets wont kill the personal computer star. And the traditional desktop computer and laptop will remain strong inside companies and even schools. But saying the tablets/smart phones/smart TVs wont significantly affect the consumer market is kind of foolish imo.

True true, Good point.  One of my cousins says "Since my iPad and iPhone, I haven't used a PC for like over a year" But cause she's not "pro" as you put it.

But also, i'm not saying it won't affect consumer market, i'm saying, going as far as replace traditional PC is still a long way, imo 20+ years.

#28 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 September 2013 - 21:14

the future is cloud powered computing.eventually there will be robust,fast and affordable infrastructure to support this.

Even if that was the case, it will still require a device to connect to it. If it were it could mean that phones would even sooner be able to take this task, but cloud will always work alongside and extend local computing. Local processing is MUCH MUCH faster for a lot of smaller tasks, and will continue to be even more so as processing power continues to increase in small affordable packages like the CPUs we have today. Cloud is only as useful for more intensive processing while we need extra power that our local machines may lack. Network latency will never allow cloud computing to completely replace local computing, and ever increasing computing power will make it pointless to send off to the cloud what your system can already do in the blink of an eye.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,246 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:25

I now own 3 tablets, and absolutely never would consider replacing my PCs with them. Maybe if all you do is update your Facebook status it could replace it, but otherwise it won't ever happen.

Phones will replace PCs though, but that's still a ways out. In time our phones will be our computers. We'll drop them in a dock and they'll come up on a big screen with a keyboard and mouse and be every bit as powerful as the computers we have now. Perhaps around this time we'll see wireless touch displays that can connect to your Phoneputer and act like a tablet, but tablets themselves won't replace PCs ever.

I'm guessing those 3 tablets are not powerful windows tablets like the surface Pro. but more in the style of ios, android or RT ?

#30 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:31

You can't play PC games on a tablet.

You can't do effective content creation on a tablet.

You can't program on a tablet.

You can't multitask effectively on a tablet.

PC ain't going anywhere.