• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 September 2013 - 15:11

So instead of buying ONe tablet that you could use, and it would also be able to replace or mostly replace your possible laptop, you instead chose to buy THREE useless Tablets you DON'T use...

your logic is impeccable. 

and how is the Surface pro weak ? it has a powerful CPU, more than enough ram, it's GPU is a bit on the weak side, IF you're gaming, but more than enough for anything else. It also can be equipped with the type cover, not just the "touch crap". add in the super dine wedge mouse and you can carry it everywhere.

as for who carries their tablets everywhere. a LOT of people, a lot more cary their laptops with them everywhere to, this replaces the bigger laptop for most of them. 

One iPad 2 that I purchased when it was released, one Blackberry Playbook that I got for free as a developer, and one Nexus 7 that I bought last Friday to install as the head unit in my car. Let me worry about my logic rather than you making incorrect assumptions. Also, where in my post did I say that I don't use them so emphatically that you had to redundantly say that I don't?

I'm not sure how you want me to explain to you that the Surface Pro is weak. The CPU is far from powerful. It competes with netbooks and low end laptops/ultrabooks. The memory is lacking. The GPU is lacking for anything that requires GPU, not just gaming. Are you saying it's fast for a tablet? Because I don't disagree with you there, but you were arguing that it's a PC killer. Not just netbook killer, not just laptop killer, but PC KILLER as a whole! Not everyone just uses their computer to update their Facebook status and read some emails. A Surface Pro would explode if I even tried to run Lightroom and do some photo editing. The CPU can't handle it. There isn't close to enough RAM (I had 4 GB of RAM in my computer 10 years ago!). And that's just my spare time play on my computer. For work I usually end up multitasking enough to make 8GB of RAM cry, let alone 4GB. Trust me, I run a laptop right now from work with very similar specs and I absolutely abuse it. My desktop at home is only an i3 and is definitely lacking power for my big screen stuff (which is why I'm planning a new build), and it's much faster than a Surface Pro. And on top of all of this, the screen is tiny, storage is very limited, expansion is limited, and the upgradability is zero.

Oh, and the type cover? Not a whole lot better than the touch cover. It's not even at a laptop keyboard level, and that's setting the bar low if you are actually doing work. A far better argument would be that you could pair a bluetooth keyboard to it easily, but then you're carrying around an extra keyboard wherever you go, which puts you back to the type keyboard. Let's leave that one because the type keyboard, while far from PC replacement quality, is the least of the Surface Pro's problems with the alternatives possible.

And I'm curious about these people you know that carry their tablets around. I can't say I've ever seen any. Do they use a bag to carry it? A bag is a bit excessive for a tablet, but then, carrying it around in your hand walking down the street would probably be even more ridiculous. At that point I might as well have carried a laptop with twice as much power and basically no more bulk since it'll fit in about the same size bag that my Surface Pro + keyboard + mouse + power cord would fit in.

So yes, compared to all the other tablets that cost half or a quarter of the price, the Surface Pro is very powerful. Compared to laptops that cost the same price, it's probably half as powerful. And compared to a desktop at the same price, it's not even close. If you are light computer user and the Surface Pro can handle everything you want to do, and you're willing to pay the premium that it costs, then great, get a Surface Pro. But you're out of your damn mind if you think it's going to replace the PC market.

#47 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,372 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 September 2013 - 20:38

The surface pro would run Lightroom just fine, photoshop just fine. It would probably struggle with some of my 3dsmax scenes, but that's workstation stuff anyway, but it could load them and could do woo. Renders of them, and using adaptive degradation(bounding box) and hiding unnecessary stuff, it would do a nice enough job. But hey, I managed my 3d stuff on my old 486 though I guess I shouldn't count the crap I did until I had my PII.

As for carrying, you wouldn't need to carry all that, just the surface pro. The mouse and stuff you have and home and/or work.

#48 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,584 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:54

The surface pro would run Lightroom just fine, photoshop just fine. It would probably struggle with some of my 3dsmax scenes, but that's workstation stuff anyway, but it could load them and could do woo. Renders of them, and using adaptive degradation(bounding box) and hiding unnecessary stuff, it would do a nice enough job. But hey, I managed my 3d stuff on my old 486 though I guess I shouldn't count the crap I did until I had my PII.

As for carrying, you wouldn't need to carry all that, just the surface pro. The mouse and stuff you have and home and/or work.

And a Surface Pro can certainly run AutoCAD, considering my older Q6600-driven desktop with a three-years-dead nVidia GTX550 Ti certainly can.

Those saying that a tablet can't replace a PC are all various forms of "outlier" users - they are no more the average computer user than I am.  They either don't realize that they are outliers (denial) or they are deliberately blowing smoke.  Anybody that uses ANY CAD program - and especially AutoCAD - is not an average computer user, by any stretch of the imagination,  That same rubric applies to programmers or anyone that does ANY sort of development - even if you're talking Windows Phone or Android IDE development, let alone iOS development, Windows development (Win32 or Win64, that is), etc.

One thing that has changed is that the entry bar to outlier-dom has dropped significantly - and it has not a thing to do with tablets, let alone netbooks.  Look at the average requirements for Visual Studio 2012 Professional in terms of hardware, and compare them with the specs of merely netbooks and notebooks of Windows 7's launch time.  In point of fact, gaming has higher hardware requirements than most IDEs, if not darn near every IDE available today, regardless of cost/price.  (I'm talking SimCity 2013 - not BF3, let alone the upcoming BF4 beta.) Civilization V can run on a Surface Pro - the current one - today, along with *all* the DLC for it - that would therefore imply that any game with similar hardware requirements can also run on the same hardware.  While you can't run high-end games on a Surface Pro, mainstream gaming is certainly possible - if you are implying otherwise, then you really ARE in denial.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!